Signal to go outside - Page 6 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #51
m0rg4n

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bells have worked almost TOO well for Indy. Last night he rang the bell so I stopped what I was doing to let him out. He walked over to pick up a stick, turned around and came right back inside. ... I really wish we weren't renting so we could install a doggie door
m0rg4n is offline   Reply With Quote
ring my bell
Old 04-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #52
sunnyblonde

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
ring my bell

My first havanese (who sadly died two weeks ago) was trained to ring a bell when he wanted to go out. I put a sleigh bell (large enough that he could not swallow it) on a ribbon and tied it to a small hook by the front door. I started ringing it every time we were going out and he quickly learned to ring it when he wanted to go out.

About 5 months before Bree died we got a Havanese puppy (same wonderful breeder in Sask - Jomarans) to keep him company. This second dog, Quincy, I am training to both pee pads and to go out. It is taking a bit longer (all pees are on the pads but not poops) but at least we no longer have to go outside early in the mornings etc.
sunnyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #53
swaye

Submit Photo: 12
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Tried the bells twice for our now 14 week old. Weather was nasty and she just constantly played with them. Going out every 5 minutes was a bit unrealistic with the weather being so nasty, so we tabled that idea till she was "older" :-) We did get a great surprise yesterday and today. She barked to be let out to potty. She hasn't done it but once yesterday and once today. We are usually in viewing of her sitting in front of the door. The times she did bark, we weren't. I hope she continues, because I am anxious to get out of my kitchen! :-)
swaye is offline   Reply With Quote