Havanese Forum banner

Poor guy

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  sandypaws 
#1 ·
We got back from a 5 hour drive from my parents house for the holidays. I let Louis (Hav) and Leroy (standard poodle) out to potty. Then brought them back in. Leroy was horsing around in the living room and ran into Louis. I heard a small cry from Louis but he walked off like nothing happened. I finished unloading stuff from the car, fed the dogs, and crated them while my sister and I ate dinner. I then took the dogs outside for a walk. When we came back, I took the leash off of Louis and went to the living room to play with him. As soon as I tried to pet him, he cowered like I was going to hit him! I hate it when he does that, it makes me feel like the worst person in the world. He kept cowering and running away and hiding. I'd coax him back to me, and when I prevented him from running away, he would show his stomach and looked really scared. This was such strange behavior! We had just spent four days at my parents where he was playing and happy-go-lucky. I thought maybe he was hurt on his head, neck, or ears. I tried to find the general location. Everytime I tried to pet his left side of the head, he'd cower and try to run. When I held him and petted that side, he'd flinch. I pinpointed it to his left eye. I barely touched it and he flinched and winced. He is scared to come near me! He probably does not understand why I am causing him pain. I hate how he looks at me like I did this! I believe my poodle either punched or stepped on Louis's eye. My poodle has punched me in my eye very hard once - I had a small black eye and when I softly grazed my finger near my eye, it was so tender and it hurt very badly. So I understand what Louis is going through. I just hope he gets better!!! Right now he's just moping around.

See less See more
#3 ·
as someone who has a a vet opthamologist, get him to a vet. until then try to keep track of it, take pics (might be easier to look at the pic then to have him stay still).
is is swollen or red? any good vet would call a vet opthamologist to consult on what eye drops to give the dog. good luck.

#4 ·
I looked at his eye, it looks normal. There is no redness or swelling - at least no swelling I can see with all of that hair. The eye doesn't look scratched either. I'll keep an eye on it for sure. So far it doesn't stop him from following me around, eating, drinking. He just doesn't want too many people messing with him cause he's afraid you'll touch his eye area.

#7 ·
It doesn't sound like a scratch because he probably wouldn't want to open his eye. Once while cleaning one of my Havs eyes, I accidentally hit his eye with my nail. I didn't think anything of it until I noticed that he wasn't opening it and started to paw at it. I got him to the vet and sure enough she found a definite scratch on his eye. She started him on meds, rechecked it in a few days and it had healed. I felt so bad about what I had done to him. He looked so pathetic, poor baby.

#8 ·
Oh! I've had scratched corneas twice... once from a branch in the woods while riding, and another time from a tiny, sharp, baby fingernail when one of my boys was a baby. (I can't even remember which son anymore!!!) I remember it being EXCRUTIATINGLY painful and, as you said, not being even able to open my eye. I even had to have it patched for a few days.

#10 ·
Wanted to update that Louis's eye is okay! He actually was better the day after I started this thread. I guess when he got hit in the eye, it was very tender. At least now I know what to look out for if his eye got scratched! Good to know that he wouldn't be able to open it, I'll be prepared to notice these symptoms.

#13 ·
I'm glad I'm seeing this after the fact and that Louis is fine now. He's such a cutie!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.