Havanese Forum banner

Need some advice on chew sticks..

5K views 48 replies 23 participants last post by  queryne 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been meaning to come on and introduce myself officially but unfortunately (as most of you know) with a new puppy there's not a lot of free time! Intro coming later.... but in the meantime, my little guy(Leo) is not easily distracted. He wants to be with us all the time and seems to prefer nothing more than spending time with us. I'm looking for advice on chew sticks that might keep him busy for a little. I've been on the forum for the while and have pretty much tried most of the suggestions mentioned:

Himalayan chews - he doesn't like them (despite the fact it seems most Havs LOVE them)

Nylabone dura chews - flavored and unflavored - he had zero interest.

Stuffed Kong - work fine for the most part.. but I'd l

Antlerz - i bought 3 of them, he only likes 1 and basically ignors the other 2.

The only things that seem to keep him busy that he goes NUTS for are bully sticks but I only want to give those to him once in a blue moon.

Anyone else has have a picky Hav? What works for your Hav? Help!
I'm throwing in a picture for good measure. Once you see that adorable face you'll most definitely want to help. Lol!

Corinne

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
Quincy really likes the bully sticks, but man they give him stinky breath (and whiskers). He's not a big fan of the deer antler, but will chew it every once in a while. I might have to investigate some other options. The most recent Himalayan chews that I got him seem to be wider than the others and he can't chew them as well. I got the same size as before, but they're thicker.

#31 ·
Update: all of a sudden he's fallen in love with Himalayan Chews!! Go figure.. I'm pretty happy about it! Still no luck on the Nylabones but no complaints here.. He seems to like elk antlers... Interested to see how he feels about the moose variety!

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

#34 ·
Kallie didn't like her Nylabones or Kongs either when she was little. She did like her hollow sterilized bone that I'd stuff w/peanut butter on each end. Then she started liking the deer antlers. Chewed one down til it was so small I had to take it away from her. Now she's 7 months & has all of a sudden taken a liking to the Nylabones. She dug one out of her toy basket the other night & has played with/chewed on it for the past few evenings. Kong also had a type of hollow cylinder thing that I put peanut butter in. She likes that too. Thru loosing the baby teeth stage, she became quite a toy chewer. Boy the others on the forum were right. They need to learn to become chewaholics with their toys. She's never chewed on anything else - furniture, woodwork, etc.

#35 ·
When the Himalayan chews get on the small side, pop them into the microwave. I don't remember how long I put them in there, but they puff up and make a yummy little cheesy treat. I think there's a video on their website about it too. Or there's a video somewhere that I saw with the tip. I worry when they get too small, so at least it doesn't go to waste when you puff it up :)
Obviously, make sure they're completely cooled down before serving ;)

#36 ·
Sparkle: here's to hoping he one day all of a sudden falls in love with Nylabones.. He's got a bacon flavored one for goddsakes.. who doesn't like bacon???? LOL..

Dory: Yeah i heard about this microwave tip. I'm going to try it when it gets smaller.. He's def made some headway with it. Looking forward to seeing what it's going to look like.. I'm gonna Google that video.

#38 ·
chew toys

Rico loves the hooves too...didn't know that there were smoked ones that smell better:). Will have to look for them! How do you take such a great pic of your black faced dog? I really have difficulty seeing his eyes on photos... or; his eyes are scary glowing from a flash!

#39 ·
Rico loves the hooves too...didn't know that there were smoked ones that smell better:). Will have to look for them! How do you take such a great pic of your black faced dog? I really have difficulty seeing his eyes on photos... or; his eyes are scary glowing from a flash!
I can't answer for little Rico's pic . . .but the glowing eyes are caused by the flash being too close to the camera lens. Try turning the flash off and photographing in natural light. If you need more light than that, you can make a reflector by covering cardboard with foil and having someone reflect natural light back into his face (from the floor).

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

#40 ·
A friend of mine is a budding photographer. She's got a great SLR camera.. Like ClaireVoyant said... the key is definitely using natural light rather than flash. I've tried to take pics with my camera phone and it's impossible unfortunately.

#42 ·
I'm a photographer . . .but my iPhone is handy when my SLR isn't LOL. The pic in my avatar was with my iPhone (flash off, North light window)

Isabella turns her nose up at both deer and moose antlers as well as hooves, but loves bully sticks . . .Raider loves everything. I've never tried Himalayan treats but looked for them locally but couldn't find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

#43 ·
Well done for an iphone pic! Gotta work on my lighting with my phone camera.

I'm gonna check out moose antlerz for Leo.. he seems to like Elk splits more than deer. Lately he's been killing Himalayan Chews.. I can't seem to find them at pet stores either so i ordered them off of amazon:

Amazon.com: Himalayan Dog Chew, Small 3.5 oz: Pet Supplies

or

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/page_214_22/himalayan_dog_chew_-_small.html

Like i mentioned in a previous post Leo had zero interest in them and then one day(completely out of the blue).. he started to loved them!

#46 ·
Corinne and Leo!

Hi Corinne and Leo! I just randomly stumbled across your posting! Small world! We met at the Puppy Party in February (I think that's when it was). I was wondering how your little Leo is doing? Malfoy is growing up SO fast.

Malfoy is just like Leo in that he LOVES bully sticks. I don't give them to him often because he stinks to high heaven after chewing on them ;)

Hope you guys are doing well!
Brenda

#47 ·
Hey Brenda!
How wonderful to hear from you!

Leo has grown like a weed. You wouldn't even recognize him.
Omg! How's my little Malfoy?

When you get a moment please PM me and we'll set up a play date for Leo and Malfoy!
Would love to see that little guy again.. such a sweetie..

Corinne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.