Havanese Forum banner

Adding to canine family

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Ewokpup 
#1 ·
So now that we've moved to a house, the subject of adding another four legged family member has come up. I want a havanese (or hav mix), my husband wants a rescue. So that narrows down the pool of possible pups considerably, but that's okay. My husband keeps pointing out it doesn't have to be a hav, so I have been looking at other bichon type dogs.

I guess I am kinda seeking advice....
Bama is 9 1/2 months, should we wait until she is older? Should we have her meet any potential siblings before making the decision?

I did see one adorable hav on a website that had been rescued from a high kill shelter and is currently being fostered. Of course she is all the way in Alabama. I've emailed them for more info but haven't heard back yet. Of course the distance would make it tricky for Bama to meet the dog first.

#3 ·
You can wait till you find a hav to rescue :).

what are you hoping for if you wait till Bama is older?
Well I guess it depends on the age of the rescue.
I heard or read somewhere that having two puppies at once isn't a good idea. Also, I didn't know if age differences would matter if we found a senior or special needs dog. While Bama enjoyed visiting Miss Yorkie over the holidays, Miss Yorkie didn't seem thrilled with a puppy visitor who wanted to always play and chase. (Miss Yorkie is almost 13 and has arthritis and cataracts and needs help getting down off the sofa, so playing chase isn't her idea of fun).

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks for the links! I read them last night.

I wish that Bama could just tell us if she wanted a sibling or if she prefers to be the only dog in the house. She really seemed to enjoy having Miss Yorkie around over the holidays. Of course Bama was the guest, it wasn't a dog visiting her house, which I imagine could make a difference. We have friends with a Yorkie and Bama has gone over with us to visit twice and the two of them are so cute together! At thanksgiving they just trotted around, but a few weeks ago they were more actively playing.

#6 ·
We waited a full year before we added our second Havanese. It was much easier to deal with puppy when the first one is older.

I agree with DAve, it is so much easier if your first one is fully trained before bringing another one in. Keep in mind, if you get a rescue, that they sometimes come with training issues, so you want the first pup to be fully trained.

Check out HavaneseRescue.com

#7 ·
We waited a full year before we added our second Havanese. It was much easier to deal with puppy when the first one is older.

I agree with DAve, it is so much easier if your first one is fully trained before bringing another one in. Keep in mind, if you get a rescue, that they sometimes come with training issues, so you want the first pup to be fully trained.

Check out HavaneseRescue.com
You mean a year after the first came to your home, or once they turned a year old?

Bama and training....well, she had always done really well for the most part, but the past month she has been acting up a bit more....I'm not sure if this is adolescent rebellion, a result of the second fear imprint period, or the fact that we just moved (and next door lives a three legged German shepherd and some kind of spaniel..never met them, just seen them through the window and gate) n

Barking has been a new thing with her. I understand dogs are just trying to talk, but she went from not caring if someone came to the door to barking at the wind. The past week though things seem to have improved with that. She doesn't always bark when we hear something outside...even if it is another dog. She does bark whenever we walk by the house next door...I'm not sure if she is saying 'hello neighbor dogs, how are you' or 'I live here now' or 'woof woof I'm scared'. I've tried to watch her body language but she is excited so it's hard to tell. I can't exactly tell what the other dogs are doing since its it's a ironwork sort of gate with only tiny holes.
She has had a few potty accidents, but once again, we did just move and so she has to learn where the piddle pad is and there are still boxes to unpack. She also needs a refresher on sit/stay when she is outside...she just runs and runs and she will sit but when you get close she runs as if it is a game. We are practicing inside....reinforcing the basics.

She is on the list for the level 2 class whenever the trainer has it on the schedule. I may drop in on a level 1 for a refresher. I'm also visiting another training place (ZoomRoom) that offers agility classes.

Hahaha typing this out I can definitely tell she isn't ready yet. ;-)
I think it also might be a good idea to have playdates at our house...it's one thing to go on vacation at another dog's house, or go over for movie night, but it's quite another thing if you are the host and some other dog is playing with your toys and sitting on your sofa. ;-)
And after a few playdates, maybe some sleepovers.

#8 ·
How old is Bama now? You really shouldn't start agility until she is at least one year old. It can do permanent damage to developing joints to start too early.

#9 ·
From what you indicated, I would hold off on another pup for a bit.
First of all, I suspect that a lot of the issues are because you just moved. Bama needs time to feel secure in the new home.
When you say a playdate, do you mean other Havanese or all size dogs?

You might be putting too many things into Bama's life at once. I would let her get used to the new house. And when you walk by the neighbors house, keep your head up, look straight ahead, and keep walking at a great pace. She may be picking up that you might be nervous or apprehensive about the other dogs. If she sees that you are confident, she will pick up on that and maybe not feel the need to bark at the neighbors house.

A puppy or beginner obedience class might help her get more confidence so that she is more comfortable in her own skin.

Once she has begun to be comfortable in her new home, and be ok with the neighbors dogs, and has good manners (which she will teach the new pup), and is fully potty trained, then it might be a better time to bring a new dog home :)

I dont want you to feel I am discouraging you, but I would hate to see BAma take a HUGE step backwards because you have brought a new dog in, and are spending time with that dog, and she is just not ready.

#11 ·
From what you indicated, I would hold off on another pup for a bit.
First of all, I suspect that a lot of the issues are because you just moved. Bama needs time to feel secure in the new home.
When you say a playdate, do you mean other Havanese or all size dogs?

You might be putting too many things into Bama's life at once. I would let her get used to the new house. And when you walk by the neighbors house, keep your head up, look straight ahead, and keep walking at a great pace. She may be picking up that you might be nervous or apprehensive about the other dogs. If she sees that you are confident, she will pick up on that and maybe not feel the need to bark at the neighbors house.

A puppy or beginner obedience class might help her get more confidence so that she is more comfortable in her own skin.

Once she has begun to be comfortable in her new home, and be ok with the neighbors dogs, and has good manners (which she will teach the new pup), and is fully potty trained, then it might be a better time to bring a new dog home :)

I dont want you to feel I am discouraging you, but I would hate to see BAma take a HUGE step backwards because you have brought a new dog in, and are spending time with that dog, and she is just not ready.
She has actually improved quite a bit on the barking. I try to be patient and figure out what she is trying to tell me...yes, silly human, I really did push my chew stick under the media stand...yes my ball is under the sofa where I can't reach...please get my toy off the table so I can play with it...UPS is here again, if you got another thing from amazon it better be for me! (okay that last one I over interpreted haha).

As far as neighbor dogs...I don't think I'm apprehensive about it....more like 'oh great, here we go again, the dogs are behind the fence and she will probably start barking'. So more annoyance than nervous. Today the shepherd was barking and she was barking back, so I picked her up, carried her into the bathroom and stood in the tub so she could look out the window and see him. (we did this before with the kitchen window).

As far as playdates...well, havanese would be great because I love them, but any small dog will do.

#12 ·
So wanted to give y'all an update since everyone was so helpful with their replies.

Bama has settled in nicely. As far as the dogs next door, I noticed the other day another small dog being walked down the street and sure enough that small dog and the dogs behind the fence were having a canine conversation. So it's not just Bama. Who knows what they are even barking about, could be as simple as 'hey what's up pup'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.