Dexter has a Cherry Eye - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #21
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
I have had a Cocker who had a Cherry Eye when he was a pup. I had it fixed by the same Vet with wonderful results. The Vet does not remove the Cherry Eye, but tucks it back in, I am thinking with a deep suture. I do not expect any problems, take Dexter in to the Vet in the morning, pick him up that afternoon.

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #22
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Because of Scuds eye shape & wavy hair, they had to shave 1/2 his face. I was not prepared because most Hav's I saw post op didn't look any different. Scuds looked like a cyclops! he is was ugly it was hard to look at him Now he looks great!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #23
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
Guess, I am going to be asking about any shaved hair that might be happening. I do have Dexter in a short clip now. When my Cocker was done as a pup, his hair was not shaved when his Cherry Eye was fixed. The Cocker's Cherry Eye was much bigger.

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #24
Buzzys Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
So sorry- Oscar had a cherry eye also. We did the tuck-in procedure at the same time he was neutered. Unfortunately, the suture ulcerated his eye and he had to go back in for surgery again he is fine now and you would never know he ever had surgery!
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
JazzFest13

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
My Desilu had cherry eye surgery, and I had it cut out. It was a huge debate between different vets and my breeder. One vet recommended it to be tucked, the other recommended removal. My breeder also suggested removal. In the end, I chose to remove it because I didn't want to risk it popping back out, and having Desilu go through it all over again. Since the vet who recommended tuck said he couldn't guarantee it wouldn't pop out, I chose to have it cut out.

Its been almost a year since the surgery, and no evidence of dry eye (Dr said only 30% of tears come from that duct). I'm lucky though, I do live in a very humid environment, so I don't think I would have made the same decision for removal if I lived in say, Arizona. It was also about $700 cheaper, which...of course doesn't really matter if its for the health of my Desilu.
JazzFest13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherry eye, red bulge in eye