Havanese Forum banner

Poor Django can't get a break

2K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  rokipiki 
#1 ·
Poor Django can't seem to fight off this belly issue. I took a another sample to the vet saturday and sure enough the bacteria is still in the gut however there's no blood in the stool. However, there is blood on the tail end of his poop thus causing the bloody bottom.

So, something is going on. Yesterday he wouldn't eat anything or take any of his medication. Threw up twice. Finally at 3:00 p.m. he took his antibiotic but that was it. Ate a little ground turkey with a tad rice. Today, he's been a bit out of it. Wouldn't take any meds but ate 5 pieces of kibble i had in his bowl from the night before. I decided to give him the pepcid (antibiotics make him sick to his belly) tonight instead of antibiotic and he took it. Hasn't eaten anything today. Put a call into the vet, he will be in tomorrow. My concern is that there's something inside his little bottom that's perhaps irritated and causing the blood on his bottom after he poops.

Oh, i forgot to mention, he had one of his terrible addison episodes, had to give him a dose of prednisone at 4:00. That lasted about 45 minutes which would be why he doesn't want to eat anything.

Poor guy, I am just at a loss.

#3 ·
sorry to hear this. Hang in there. hugs.

#5 ·
I'm so sorry to read this. It's awful when they're suffering and we don't know what's wrong.

#14 ·
I am so sorry to hear about your pup. Addison's crisis often makes them not want to eat. Boo Boo's last bout I could not get his heart meds down, and he would not eat he had blood in both his vomit and in the stool, it was the worst yet, but he recovered after much rest. Even though the prednisone makes them seem better it can take days for them to fully recover. It is such a hard illness to watch, yet when it goes, it was like they were never sick. Hope your pup bounces back quickly.

#15 ·
Sometimes I truly am at a loss for what to do. I am so fearful that once he goes down that black hole he might get in so deep he won't come out. The big concern for me right now is the blood after he poops and what's causing it. Vet is in surgery all day but he's great about calling. Hopefully we can come up with a plan. By the way, how old is your Boo Boo and how old when diagnosed with Addisons?

We were able to go out for a walk today, first one since Christmas Eve. He hasn't pooped yet, going on day 2 but he also hasn't had a full belly, just a little turkey and rice here and there. Hopefully he will turn the corner soon and be on the road to recovery!

#16 ·
Well, I took DJango in for his rectal exam and of course, they couldn't find anything which means there's something and it's in his colon. He stayed at the clinic, they need to clean him out before his colonoscopy tomorrow morning. I'm so sad I had to leave him there but they need to do blood work and check everything to make sure he's able to handle the procedure tomorrow.

As the vet stated, there is something going on. We won't know until after tomorrow. I am trying to stay positive and hope it's something small like a palip. Time will tell.

#17 ·
So sorry to hear about Django ongoing medical issues. I feel so sad for him and all he is going through. I, too, didn't realize that they do colonoscopies on dogs, but I guess they have all the same issues as we do. Hope you're right and it's only benign polyps. Our thoughts and prayers are with him. Hang in there we're all thinking of you. Keep us posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.