My puppy barks at night - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Show and Competition Area > Obedience

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
MarinaGirl

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Have you crate trained your puppy? Emmie was from the beginning but then I started to let her sleep on my bed at night and she'd use stairs to go down to the floor (and her crate) when she wanted to. This worked well for awhile but then she started barking in the middle of the night to get my attention, perhaps to play. This started to drive me crazy as you can imagine. My solution, since I was confident her barking was not to tell me she needed to go out to the bathroom, was to crate her at night and not let her sleep with me on the bed anymore. The first 2 nights she still barked at 4 AM but I completely ignored her (which was hard) and then she stopped and is now quiet all night long in her crate. Now we both get to sleep undisturbed. Good luck, Jeanne

Last edited by MarinaGirl; 02-18-2013 at 05:47 PM.
MarinaGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
roxie2519

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Fwi, just because you have money, doesn't wake you a good dog owner!
roxie2519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
roxie2519

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaGirl View Post
Have you crate trained your puppy? Emmie was from the beginning but then I started to let her sleep on my bed at night and she'd use stairs to go down to the floor (and her crate) when she wanted to. This worked well for awhile but then she started barking in the middle of the night to get my attention, perhaps to play. This started to drive me crazy as you can imagine. My solution, since I was confident her barking was not to tell me she needed to go out to the bathroom, was to crate her at night and not let her sleep with me on the bed anymore. The first 2 nights she still barked at 4 AM but I completely ignored her (which was hard) and then she stopped and is now quiet all night long in her crate. Now we both get to sleep undisturbed. Good luck, Jeanne
. Thanks Jeanne. The puppy had a kennel cough when I bought him, so I was extra cautious when it came to potty training. I thought that I was doing him good by training him to go potty on the pad, instead of taking him outside in the cold, and risking his health. I wanted to avoid him getting sick. But i still take him outside for walks He had 3 pads, one in every room... Maybe that is confusing him.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie2519 View Post
Fwi, just because you have money, doesn't wake you a good dog owner!
If I didn't have the money, at least I'd have the TIME, which you said you didn't know whether you had or not .
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
roxie2519

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
If I didn't have the money, at least I'd have the TIME, which you said you didn't know whether you had or not .
wow ok whatever
Old 02-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Your puppy seems to be causing you some worries and stress. I'm sorry he arrived to you sick. I think you said you got him from a pet store? If you think about what he came from and really try to look at what his first few months were like you might be able to understand more about him being a bit more difficult and may have more health issues. I'm sure it was hard for you to learn about where these pups come from and I'm sure you paid a lot of money for him.
I have never had mine wake me up barking in the middle of the night for no reason. Baby pups don't tend to bark that much. At least mine didn't until they were about 6 mo or so. It sounds like he ( WHAT IS HIS NAME?) just wants to play. Or wants to sleep with your mom? Trying more exercise before bed time might help.

Last edited by Suzi; 02-19-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
PS how old he now? And was it you that tried to get the pet store to be responsible and pay for some of his problems only to send you to their vet? Did you ever find out about his hair loss? Can you find out where the breeder is located? My last question is do you love him and are you willing to keep a puppy who may have a lot more issues than one who came from a healthy environment? My Maddie has coast me over $1,200 additional cost because I got her from a breeder who didn't health test and she is more than likely to cost a lot more when she is older. Sometimes I just wounder from some of your posts that you are being over reactive to some things and are just worrying to much? I'm not being mean to you just trying to help.