What to do with a badly matted dog in the winter? - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
atsilvers27
Senior Member
 
atsilvers27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bergen County NJ
Posts: 849
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
I was told by a Havanese Breeder who has been showing from the beginning that the cords are not good for their skin.
Well maybe that breeder can speak to Steve Lawrence, judge and breeder of many famous corded Havanese and Puli for 30 years.

I would say pulling on matted dogs for hours and hours is far worse on the skin than meticulously keeping a dog in cords.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
julie9
Junior Member
 
julie9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Una goes in tomorrow. I'll post then to let you know how it turns out. BTW, I just got my new Greyhound pin brush in the mail today--and, wow, do I love it! I think it's really going to help my grooming regimen. I'm also feeling a bit more confident in grooming. It's as though I made a jump in understanding how to do this. A bit late, but better than never!
julie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #23
atsilvers27
Senior Member
 
atsilvers27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bergen County NJ
Posts: 849
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie9 View Post
Una goes in tomorrow. I'll post then to let you know how it turns out. BTW, I just got my new Greyhound pin brush in the mail today--and, wow, do I love it! I think it's really going to help my grooming regimen. I'm also feeling a bit more confident in grooming. It's as though I made a jump in understanding how to do this. A bit late, but better than never!
Good for you! Confidence really helps. Keep an open mind, find a good groomer, and just applying yourself you will be able to do it!
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #24
Suzi
Senior Member
 
Suzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Linn Oregon
Posts: 4,706
Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
Suzi, scissors are dangerous to use on mats, if they are small tangles thinning shears can help. If the dog can't be brushed out it should get shaved. IMO dogs look rediculous with longer hair, mats in the coat, and big sections of hair just lopped off. If it is bad, getting a clean start is much kinder to the dog than having him/her endure hours and hours of torture. It will be easier to grow the coat out after the blowing coat phase.
I wasn't saying to cut the mats out with scissors just to get it to the length she wants and then to comb out the mats. I know from experience that a person can get threw blowing coat with out shaving down the coat. I never put my dog threw torture. I't was very time consuming but in my experience Zoeys matting was easy to comb out. It wasn't like gum or a knot. I may not know how to describe it maybe more like a tighter cotton ball .If the comb wouldn't go threw I would turn it sideways to break it up a bit. While holding her skin so it didn't pull.. I know you know how to comb out mats.
Any way with out looking at the coat I have no Idea if its to far gone to have a puppy coat. That's why I would see if she can get professional help. A groomer who can take the time. It may coast over a $100 to do it but it can be done. Like I said I would spend about 4 hr twice a week to keep Zoeys coat long. That could really add up if a person wanted to pay someone to do it. I would never do that just because I know I'm being gentle. And I wouldn't trust a stranger to be as kind as I am. So for folks that don't know how to comb out their Havanese and the coat has gotten out of their control yes shave them down.
__________________
Maddie at 5mo old

Last edited by Suzi; 02-07-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
Suzi
Senior Member
 
Suzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Linn Oregon
Posts: 4,706
Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie9 View Post
Una goes in tomorrow. I'll post then to let you know how it turns out. BTW, I just got my new Greyhound pin brush in the mail today--and, wow, do I love it! I think it's really going to help my grooming regimen. I'm also feeling a bit more confident in grooming. It's as though I made a jump in understanding how to do this. A bit late, but better than never!
That's great. I find my small comb to be my major tool I use the pin brush after they are totally mat free to blow dry with.
__________________
Maddie at 5mo old
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #26
Suzi
Senior Member
 
Suzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Linn Oregon
Posts: 4,706
Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
Well maybe that breeder can speak to Steve Lawrence, judge and breeder of many famous corded Havanese and Puli for 30 years.

I would say pulling on matted dogs for hours and hours is far worse on the skin than meticulously keeping a dog in cords.
Maybe she has I don't know. But she said corded show dogs spend a lot of time in crates to keep the cords looking nice. That doesn't sound like a very nice life to me.
__________________
Maddie at 5mo old
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #27
Becky Chittenden
Senior Member
 
Becky Chittenden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: POWELL, TN
Posts: 1,054
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
cut her down, buy her a sweater or coat, and learn to groom and bathe her regularly. I'd like to dispel a couple of remarks made above. Cording doesn't hurt the skin or dog if done properly. I corded my first havanese a while after she finished her championship. She was in full cords until I bred her and was pregnant. To do it right, you have to bathe the dog, and soak, every week or so, thoroughly dry the dog, which takes longer than a brushed out dog, and work with the cords. SOX was never uncomfortable, the working with the cords (after they had formed) took less time than when I kept her in coat. It took about a year to cord her and it was a daily thing doing. I intended to cord Oliver but a week ago, I decided I didn't want to work that hard and shaved him down. I don't know where you live, but like Lucile, he goes out, with no coat or sweater, and is comfortable.
__________________
Becky C
Becky Chittenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #28
julie9
Junior Member
 
julie9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, we ended up shaving Una. Her little body actually looks cute, but I really dislike what they did with the face, and am not sure how to fix it. But, as you all say, it will grow. Only thing is is DH is working late tonight and hasn't seen her yet...I think he's going to have a stroke!
Thanks for all yor input and support.
julie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #29
atsilvers27
Senior Member
 
atsilvers27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bergen County NJ
Posts: 849
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie9 View Post
Well, we ended up shaving Una. Her little body actually looks cute, but I really dislike what they did with the face, and am not sure how to fix it. But, as you all say, it will grow. Only thing is is DH is working late tonight and hasn't seen her yet...I think he's going to have a stroke!
Thanks for all yor input and support.
Can you post a picture of her face?
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #30
atsilvers27
Senior Member
 
atsilvers27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bergen County NJ
Posts: 849
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Chittenden View Post
cut her down, buy her a sweater or coat, and learn to groom and bathe her regularly. I'd like to dispel a couple of remarks made above. Cording doesn't hurt the skin or dog if done properly. I corded my first havanese a while after she finished her championship. She was in full cords until I bred her and was pregnant. To do it right, you have to bathe the dog, and soak, every week or so, thoroughly dry the dog, which takes longer than a brushed out dog, and work with the cords. SOX was never uncomfortable, the working with the cords (after they had formed) took less time than when I kept her in coat. It took about a year to cord her and it was a daily thing doing. I intended to cord Oliver but a week ago, I decided I didn't want to work that hard and shaved him down. I don't know where you live, but like Lucile, he goes out, with no coat or sweater, and is comfortable.
Thanks Becky. So glad to have the input of someone who has actually corded and kept a dog in cords. I'm not sure where some people get these things! I can see if the dog's cords were neglected and it actually became a matted mess, but I have seen Steve's dog GCH Qbin's who's on first (I think that's his name) in person and he seemed very relaxed and alert, even sniffing around to check out me and Hanna. He is an amazing mover in the ring! I can only describe it as cat-like .
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.


A vBSkinworks Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.