@#$% Ticks!!! - Page 21 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #201
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
Karen, thank you for sharing those. She had told me about hills andwalking backwards for Cash a while ago...his hind legs are weaker than his front. But we never saw her for rahab. So this is great. Please explain the peanut butter stretch a bit more.

And how do you ask Kodi to stretch his leg?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #202
CarolWCamelo
Camellia Camelo and Carol

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Thanks, Wynne! He's doing MUCH better. In fact, HE thinks he's fine. He's still restricted from agility to make sure he has plenty of time to heal, but he acts like nothing ever happened.

We are working with a fantastic vet/chiropractor, and have a bunch of stretching and strengthening exercises to do with him too. In the beginning, you could feel him really guarding that hip when you asked him to stretch it. Now he really PUSHES his leg out into your hands for a good stretch on both sides. You can tell it feels good.
Oh, Karen; you are taking SUCH good care of Kodi! Why am I not surprised? hahaha!

I think it's great that Kodi has caught on that the stretches make him feel good! I just love the relationship you and Kodi have!

Speaking of big Havs, Camellia weighs about 19.2 pounds, and she's NOT fat. It's a perfect weight for her. (8.7 Kg; I'm in Canada!)

Sun, 1 Apr 2012 20:06:42 (PDT)
The Following User Nominates CarolWCamelo Great Photo:
Trish (04-04-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #203
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscsps View Post
wow. That is a lot of physical therapy. How is Kodi (and you) doing with it?

Could you PM the vet's name and number? Thanks.
Well, we got her e-mail with the list of exercises on Friday afternoon, and left for a show on Sat. Then today is his "rest day" after the show. So we haven't really done anything but the stretching she showed us the first day, and the 20 minutes of walking before any work that she suggested.

You are right that there are a lot of exercises on the list she sent me! It's a bit overwhelming, but I am guessing that you don't need to do everything every day. Also, there are some that will need to be modified for me. (I can't get down on my knees, or I can't get up!) I did just receive his exercise ball, so I have to get DH to fill it up for me (when I can catch him home... he's a CPA at the end of busy season!!!) and then I
m going to have Fran give me a lesson on how to use it.

When I see Dr. Rogers with Kodi again on Friday, I'll ask her to help me come up with a realistic exercise plan for him, incorporating all this stuff. I'll let you know what I learn.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #204
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
That Vet is a keeper for sure! I am so glad Kodi is on the mend, lots of exercise for you and Kodi to stay in shape.

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #205
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
Karen, thank you for sharing those. She had told me about hills andwalking backwards for Cash a while ago...his hind legs are weaker than his front. But we never saw her for rahab. So this is great. Please explain the peanut butter stretch a bit more.

And how do you ask Kodi to stretch his leg?
As far as the peanut butter stretch is concerned, I haven't got a CLUE what she means, and the idea of putting PB on my longhaired white dog is less than appealing. I'll have to get further explanation on Fri.!

How to explain the stretches... If you were a horse person, it would be so easy, because we ALWAYS do these stretches with our sport horses before riding, and they are exactly the same.

To stretch the front legs, you put one hand on the dog's chest, to keep him from moving forward, and the other hand under the front leg, just by the elbow, and encourage the dog to lift it. Then you take the leg, again, from the top, and ask the dog to stretch it back toward his hind leg.

For the hind leg, you lift up the stifle (knee, patella, whatever you want to call it) and ask the dog to stretch out and back. Then, guiding from the hock, (the next joint down in the leg) you ask them to stretch forward and down. I have to ask her to help me with this stretch again when we go on Friday. Horses don't have nearly as much flexibility in their spine, so when you stretch a back leg forward, the stretch mostly stays in the hind leg assembly. I've found that when I ask Kodi for that particular stretch, he bends his spine to much. This means that he's NOT stretching the leg much, and I'm concerned about torquing that long, Hav back.

The final stretch is to have the dog sit, and without moving their body, have them follow a treat around with their head, first one way and then the other, to stretch their neck and shoulder muscles.

You want to encourage the dog to stretch themselves, you DON'T pull on the leg at all, just go to the point that you feel light muscle resistance, then hold for a few seconds. It may take a few times encouraging them with treats, but they will probably catch on to the fact that it feels good pretty quickly, and offer to stretch into your hand.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #206
Jplatthy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
iHerb coupon code - QUK405 - created just for you! Share it with others, and when they enter it in the shopping cart (before checkout), they will receive an instant $10 discount on their first iHerb order of $40 and up—or a $5 discount on their first iHerb order less than $40.

I just ordered the tick guard that was mentioned on page 11 lol...http://www.iherb.com/StartShopping and it gave me this coupon code at check out....in case anyone is interested
Jplatthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #207
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rosie is on Comfortis for fleas. But in the last month I have pulled off two ticks--dead ones. One was a regular dog tick and the one yesterday was what we call seed ticks, tiny little things. It is like they bite her and latched on and died. Do you reckon that the Comfortis is killing ticks also? Gosh I hope so.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #208
krandall
Metrowest, MA

I don't think it is known to kill ticks, Lucile. That's my understanding, anyway.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #209
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Its not, but the ticks were dead and she had no other chemicals on her.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #210
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Great, if it works!!!