Organ Meats - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Organ Meats
Old 12-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
lanabanana

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Organ Meats

We are having a cow butchered today and I'm picking up the liver, heart, tongue and kidneys this morning. My plan is to put them in the crockpot and braise them until tender, process them through the vitamix and freeze it in small batches to use as a supplement with their kibble. Is there anything I need to know about this? I would plan to give them maybe a TBSP per feeding, as I know it is rich and I wouldn't want to OD them. Thanks!

Alanna
lanabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
RitaandRiley

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
The heart and tongue are muscle meats. Liver and kidney are organ. I would keep them separate. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in about the proper amount.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
good for you. Love it when people suppliment their dogs ,with some real food. I asked Sabine, waiting to hear back , probably Monday.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
hi Alanna , |I just heard back from Sabine, she was on vaccation. Here's her reply.
"I wouldn't recommend that for anyone who feeds their dog a diet consisting mainly of commercial dry food. Organ meats are high in iron and vitamin A, both of which are already over-supplemented in kibble"
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote