Havanese Forum banner

Quincy and I made a new friend!

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Caroline 
#1 · (Edited)
Last weekend, Quincy and I were happy to meet Caroline and Misty, who we met right here on the forum. I was so surprised to see Quincy want to engage in playing with Misty and he was so comfortable with her! I guess he's just a one dog type of guy ;) He just doesn't like the atmosphere of several dogs playing at once. He chased her around the house for a while and they ran around in the backyard. We also went for a nice walk and he couldn't keep his nose off her LOL. This may not seem like much to many of you, but I have been having a heck of a time getting him to want to engage in playing with other dogs. Well, it would appear that it has everything to do with the setting and the number of dogs. He seems to be overwhelmed with several dogs, but does fine with just one. We're going to try and add another to the mix when I think he's ready.
So I made a new walking buddy and so did Quincy! It was great to meet someone local and nice that we share the same love for dogs :)

#2 ·
It's great you both have someone to walk with and he has a friend to play with! My girl Misty is very dog socialized but will seldom play outside our home (she plays with our other three, that is different), she will hang out, but she loves a sheltie named Joey...who was in most of her classes and is very shy, so much is she taken with the handsome Joey every sheltie she sees she runs up too and wants to play. They like people have their likes and dislikes.

#4 ·
I agree with ya, Tammy! I think alot of them do best with their own breed, as they're of like minds. My girls love my Mom's cockers, but they try so hard to get the cockers to play with them, and then cockers will have none of it...they just lay around like a couple of fuddy duddys, or try to get away from the girls and their "enthusiasm"!

#5 ·
I'm so glad for Q and you. Wish we could have a playdate with you:( Just finished a long session with my trainer and when I inquired about Ted playing with other dogs, she said Ted was fine with the other dogs but that he has to be able to walk quietly past them on a walk. She said the problem with small dogs is that among the big dogs they can get hurt. For where I live and what I plan on doing with him, its better to go to controlled places like Petsmart..Petco and teach Ted how to behave around the others. Petsmart in town will be my next "going to town" visit

#6 ·
just like people, different dogs play in different ways. You can't just put a group of dogs together and expect them all to get along!

My city has a dog walking club. It's amazing to see dogs that don't really like other dogs, but if everyone is on leash and moving forward then learn to tolerate the other dogs and walk nicely. It is truely amazing to see, and so much fun to walk with a big group of people and big pack of dogs! You should look into it and see if your area has a similar group.

#10 ·
New Paltz is near Woodstock - about 2 hours from you. I have a really good friend on Peaceable Road in Ballston Spa though and I do come up to visit her occasionally. Maybe I'll get in touch when I plan to do that and we can have a Havanese play date! I would look forward to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.