Havanese Forum banner

new confirmation class

6K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Pamela Rolla 
#1 ·
low and behold just as I was about to show in KY with 0 experience - a new confirmation class got posted beginning the end of this month. Yea!!!! Perfect timing!!!! I am looking forward to learning all I can and then maybe show in Sedalia MO in June :):) The Lord truly does work in mysterious ways. :)

#4 ·
Ahhh :) Thanks for keeping up with me.

The first class was last week - it was a whirl wind getting ready as Josey had played out in the yard that morning and was a bigger mess than I thought................. then of coarse the 2 1/2 hour drive to class; she puked all the way (thank goodness for C/C foam cleaner) Haha haha I sure hope she out grows that :/

It was a small group; only five total and the instructor - so I have high hopes. The instructor said Josey would be a challenge :( as she shy-ed when the gal went to touch her on the table - :( - I was pretty surprised as Josey has been shown in the past by her breeder................... but it was the first class, so keeping my chin up.

I do not know how to re-size my photo's to post :(

TTYL, Pam

#5 ·
Ahhh :) Thanks for keeping up with me.

The first class was last week - it was a whirl wind getting ready as Josey had played out in the yard that morning and was a bigger mess than I thought................. then of coarse the 2 1/2 hour drive to class; she puked all the way (thank goodness for C/C foam cleaner) Haha haha I sure hope she out grows that :/

It was a small group; only five total and the instructor - so I have high hopes. The instructor said Josey would be a challenge :( as she shy-ed when the gal went to touch her on the table - :( - I was pretty surprised as Josey has been shown in the past by her breeder................... but it was the first class, so keeping my chin up.

I do not know how to re-size my photo's to post :(

TTYL, Pam
There is a product called Marezine which a friend used on a larger breed, I would check with the vet about it...probably will depend on age, weight, etc. My friend has to give it 2 to 4 hours before travel, she also goes to classes and was about to stop due to motion sickness..
Practice should help your Josey..glad you can go to classes..keep us informed. Not sure if you still have to resize photos..try it without resizing..

#7 ·
Oh we are having such fun!!!! class two under our belt - YEA!!! we did a lot of ring work, different patterns, floor stacking, table stacking, etc... Josey actually got "happy" a couple times - Yea!!!!

The instructor was giving her treats so she would approach the end of the pattern still walking :):) I actually had to drag her a couple times (just keep coming on down; is what she told me - so we did; butt dragging and all) I swear Josey sucked the treat out of her hand so she did not have to touch her.......... I have been taking her for short rides a couple times a week, and find cooked chicken is working better for bait.

Josey did real well with her sister as brace - Oh what a pretty pair!!!!!!

I have faith - it feels right :) I know we can do this. :):) I just hope she can be happy doing this - would hate to "force" her into something she hates - it would really show in the ring :( but am not going to put a bunch of energy into that thought right now.

We were still a puke ball on arrival - and now she is in heat too.............. my poor little girl!!!! but what a trooper!!! I am so proud of her!!! I will try and get my daughter to take some pictures this Thursday night. The treats stayed down on the way home - so woot woot to that!!

Thanks

#8 ·
We usually will use half a tablet of Bonine (human motion sickness medicine you can get at the drug store) an hour to two hours before the car trip to deal with a hav that gets car sick. You can give that a try and see how it works...sometimes I will also put the crate in the passenger side of the front seat with a puppy so they can still see me and that seems to help with the anxiety a bit too.

I am glad you are enjoying your classes...keep up the good work! :)

#10 ·
Ooooo Home Depot is a great idea!!!! I actually have one with in 20 minutes of here - Thank you!!!! I did pick up some bonnie and for the first time no puke!!! In the class we had a "mock" show for 1/2 the time and discussed show classes and entry forms, what to expect, what to do, etc... at show time. It is so interesting and fun!!! I got so into the class forgot to take pictures while we were there - but will try to post a couple taken here at home - we are working on free stacking. :)

#12 ·
It is great that you are able to go to a class it makes a hugh amount of difference for the novice, even some veterns take handling seminers from time to time. I have been to them given by know professional handlers and judges. So many ins and outs to learn it really can boost your confidence in what is going on, when you are confident your dog will feed on that. Best of luck!!!! Do Keep us posted.

#14 ·
Woot Woot!!! There was a little ACA show here in town - so we went :) did not do great in the first show; took 2nd in breed. The second show we did much better took best of breed and then 2nd in group. :):) Yea!!! Not bad for very first time "mom" was in the ring. The judge for the second show asked for a "trot" twice around the ring - that's it!!! that's the answer to having her tail up and happy dog!!! Fast Pace................. oh I think we may have stumbled on the answer. Josey did so good for the table exam :):) did not cower one bit!!!!! Thank you Home Depot!! :):) Next it's AKC in Marrion IL :):) and BAER testing clinic also :) I have added more pics to my album. Thanks everyone!!

#17 ·
Josey and I did our first AKC show in Marrion IL last weekend - she did so good around the ring had her tail up and happy dog!!! But when it came to the table exam that "lady" in the black skirt was "way too close!!!" scooch toward mom!!!! :/ she took first in her age group but was the only dog :) and reserve. I love love love it!!! Am learning so much about how to groom for show, lots of light bulbs comming on for me. :) at 54 CRS is an issue haha next it's greys summit MO for joseys cerf testing and baileys Baer testing - wont be able to stay Sunday to show :( but we will show in Lebbanon MO in Oct and Springfield MO in Nov :):) Then Poplar Bluff MO in Dec I hope to make progress on table exam - will post pics tomorrow. Thanks everyone!!!

#18 ·
Very happy for you! I was taught to practice stacking all over the house on every different height, you want your dog to be confortable with height, don't make it a big deal just at different times a day and treat it at first, you'll see the tail come up after a short time and when you have time work with a friend to act like a judge, just short bursts. hope Josey's test are all great. All the best at your next show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.