Havanese Forum banner

OT: had to share this

2K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  roxie2519 
#1 ·
Pam has been keeping Lacey, a pony mare of ours that's getting up in years, in case we ever had Grandchildren. No Grandkids in sight any time soon, and we just buried a 29 year old horse we've had forever, so we decided we needed to find a good home for Lacey. Long story short, we free leased her to someone who teaches kids.

An email just came in. As I was opening the email, I was wondering if she wanted to bring her back. I copied and pasted the email below.

Hi Pam,

I just wanted to keep you updated on Lacey. She is doing fabulous! The kids love her, she loves the kids. She's being groomed and given far too many treats daily. The students can't get enough of her and she comes running to be caught, so loving. She has been sound for riding and she is slowly getting close to being able to hack the kids around off a lunge line. I switched her to a senior feed and she's getting all of her shots within the week. I attached a photo of a certain little girl that adores her. Will continue to keep you updated on her.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
good stuff Tom. Thanks for sharing.

#18 · (Edited)
Lacey has never before had a beginning rider on her back. We bought her out of a field, when she was 7 or 8 years old, to breed simply because we liked her conformation and temperament. Our daughter was a Champion (many times over) rider at the time, and she and Pam rode Lacey some for the first time. She's by a Welsh sire, out of a Connemara/TB mare. She's 13.2.

We had a couple of babies out of her, but since then she's mostly just been hanging out at our farm getting fed. Her two sons are still with us. They're by two different Connemara sires. Will is 15 hands, and Sky is 14.2. We didn't keep breeding her because we didn't want to sell any, didn't need to keep any more, and just kept putting off breeding her again.

Both the boys have taught a number of kids and young adults how to jump, and have had beginners on their backs with no issues since they were 4 or 5. That's pretty young normally for beginner riders, but both are very level headed and we knew they could handle it. The boys are 10 and 11 now, and still carry a number of different riders every week.

Lacey is now 19, and after little use under saddle for a LONG time, it seems like she's doing fine with the little ones. When she was bred those 10 and 11 years ago by AI, the vet didn't even have to put a halter on her. She loves attention, and will stand quietly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.