Havanese Forum banner

Proud of My Boy

5K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
Kodi and I tackled another venue for the first time today... AKC formal obedience. He has his CDSP Novice title, but there are no long stays in that, just an honor stay at the Novice level. Stays are his hardest thing, because he doesn't want me that far away from him for that long.

We were entered in Beginner Novice today, but I was worried that he'd break the stay and NQ. He was AWESOME! He earned his first leg, second place and a score of 197 1/2 (out of 200). The first place dog was only 1/2 point ahead of him. He lost 1 1/2 points during heeling... He went a bit wide at one point, and I have a (currently on-going) problem with him forging during the slow. He also lost a point for his "over-enthusiastic" recall, where he slammed into me before sitting in "front" position.:). So he got full points for his "figure eight", "sit for exam" and "sit-stay". The judge was very complimentary about his run, saying that he was a "delight", and a "great working dog".:whoo:

Unfortunately, even though I don't really get nervous for Rally or Agility, I DID get nervous today, and TOTALLY forgot to ask anyone to video for me.:(. Oh well, we've got another trial day tomorrow, so hopefully he'll be just as good, and I WILL rmember to have someone video him! In any case, the show photographer did take pictures, and he said those would be available on his site on Thursday. So at least I'll have that to share!

See less See more
#31 ·
Kodi will do fine it just takes time to teach the down as the other dogs are so distracting, what is funny to watch is a dog who is so far advanced they have not been in a stayline with their owner standing across from them...they often look shell shocked! Kinda of the "Whats this"?

Because Yogi was reactive we trained with advanced open dogs, only once did he break and lunge at another dog, a huge dog, it just stayed there and looked at it's owener with this "Hey"? look. My trainer got him right away he never breaks the line and he really does not want a correction (we were waiting for this for a long time). Everyone was once where you are and we all got through it and Kodi has been handled so well by you, it will come. We are the ones that worry about the other dogs in the stay line, one good thing is the small dogs line up in order of height first at akc trials.

Maybe after a time you can find a few other advanced dogs to do practice a bigger stay line. I know you both will do great! I'll be thinking about you both this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.