Havanese Forum banner

Old dog, new trick

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  dodrop82 
#1 ·
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Tyler, who is 15 yrs. 4 mo. and 14 days, occasionally has difficulty coming up the back three steps after going out to do his business, as his eyesight isn't that great any more in certain lighting. DH decided to build him a wooden ramp with carpeting for traction, something that Tyler has never used before or ever seen before, for that matter. I lured him up a couple of times with treats and he came up very slowly and reluctantly. Several days went by without any training and then, low and behold, up he came all on his own while I was in the house looking out the window. Wow, I am so proud of him for using something brand new to him with minimal training. Havs rock!!!

#4 ·
good for him. yep that old saying still holds true. :whoo:

#11 ·
I'm revising my old thread as there has been a new development. Although Tyler has the ramp and learned how to use it in a heartbeat, he doesn't always use it as he alternates between the ramp and the stairs. Well, yesterday, the stairs were his method of travel and it was a BAD decision. DH and I were in the yard, cleaning out bird houses, when we heard this loud bang, followed by a yelp. Tyler was just standing on the second step on his way up so I ran over, assuming that perhaps he had hurt his leg. I transferred him to the ramp and he continued up without limping. I then noticed that his tongue was going in and out at a fast pace and thought that he must have hit his mouth and bit his tongue. Wrong - he actually managed to knock out one of his six upper incisors and two more were dangling:( I pulled them out, took him in the house and checked out his mouth. There wasn't too much bleeding so I waited it out. He seemed fine and when it came time for his dinner, he gobbled it down without a whimper. I felt so bad for him, but it didn't seem to bother him at all.

Today, we tried the ramp and the pictures attached are: 1. Tyler waiting for Mom to get the camera ready for the run, 2. Where did he go? and, 3. Here I am Mom - I RLH up the ramp and you missed it. :) Guess everything is back to normal. I'll bet all he wants for Christmas is his 3 front teeth but, instead, I went out and bought him a puzzle to hide his treats in. I gave it to him early and it sure didn't take him long to work on those sliders and find the goodies. Old dog, new trick.

Attachments

#14 ·
Oh poor Tyler, not happy to hear he lost some teeth, but happy he did not hurt anything else. Wow, how awesome your DH is, building a ramp. My elderly lhasa has been blind for years but has lately stopped using the back stairs and will go out the dog door and do his business on the porch...sometimes he will go on a pad in the back hall, he also just learned to use the bells, I know he has taken a tumble or two, my big fear is an injury. I think Tyler is one lucky and smart pup.

#16 ·
So sad...but thankfully not something worse. He is such a beautiful little guy. I am sure it is heartbreaking to see him struggle so. Thank heavens he has you taking care of him so well.

When you are giving him his bedtime pats whisper in his ear that the Bella Sisters love him and send many doggie kisses. Actually couple from me too. xXXXXXxXx
Estelle and the Bella Sisters

#18 ·
Thanks everyone. He's good but just won't be smiling for the camera anymore. He's gotten lots of hugs, kisses and attention today - more than usual, that is, and enjoyed every minute of it. He's a real trooper!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.