Are Havanese prone to Luxating Patellas ? - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #31
Caroline

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Hope she is better soon- it's so hard to see them sick. Misty has a luxating patella, grade 1- so I am hoping she will not need surgery.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #32
leena365
Kashi_Miya

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is especially after an allergy to medication. They are afraid to eat. I have started her on chicken breast but she will not eat much of anything else. I have tried canned food kibble cheese and today even pumpkin as she has not pooped since Thursday. I hate to have to take her to the Vet to have an enema done on her. The poor thing I wish she would recuperate a little faster.
leena365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #33
leena365
Kashi_Miya

Thanks all for your good wishes and prayers. Miya has finally started feeling better and is eating her regular food and pooping on her own. I can't wait until I do not have to pen her anymore so she can play with her favorite sidekick Kashi.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #34
RingAroundaRosie

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's wonderful news about Miya It is really difficult to keep these little bundles of energy from jumping around, having tried to do so with my Rosie for the past month, with little success. She is using her back leg normally now, so I'm less uptight about her running, etc. but it's always in my mind. Having been through two ACL surgeries with my first dog, I am super motivated to avoid that if I can. The worst part is just not feeling I can play with her the way I want and she wants! Really stinks.
RingAroundaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #35
leena365
Kashi_Miya

How long is it before they are completely recovered? I know the VET said cage rest for 8 weeks after the surgery. When do I no longer have to keep the dogs apart so no rough play will happen? How long before she can be treated like she was before the surgery?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #36
RingAroundaRosie

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wish I could remember , it's been a while since our Westie had surgery - I can tell you that I did not crate her - vet never told me that. Once she was healed she went right back to being her old spunky self - no problems until later, she had a little arthritis that we treated with Rimadyl as needed.
RingAroundaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #37
leena365
Kashi_Miya

I spoke to the VET this morning and she said another couple of weeks of cage rest when she is not sitting with you. After 8 weeks you start off with 10 min walks in the 9th week, 15 min walk in the 10th week, 30 min walk in the 11th week and a little bit of play with Kashi but monitored. She also said a range of motion exercise should be done on that leg. She also said the ligament take anywhere from 2 months to 12 months to heal completely and that is not even 100%. Therefore, no more jumping on furniture for her.