Taste of the Wild - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
There's so much out there regarding dog food it's hard to know what to trust and what to take with a grain of salt. For every expert study one can cite for justifying lower protein diets, there's another that says the higher the protein and lower the grains, the better. I almost feel as though I need to return to school for a dog nutrion degree just to ensure I'm properly caring for my dog

To complicate things further . . .prevailing wisdom on one forum can be opposite on another, depending on how adept posters are at swaying toward their position. All this results in a whole lot of confusion

Last edited by ClaireVoyant; 02-28-2012 at 10:59 AM.
ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #22
irnfit

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 18 Times in 18 Posts
After trying almosr everything mine were on EVO small bites. They liked it but we did lots of butt baths. They are now on Wellness Core grain free and do very well on it.

Michele
Kodi & Shelby's Mom and Julian's Grandma
irnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #23
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireVoyant View Post
There's so much out there regarding dog food it's hard to know what to trust and what to take with a grain of salt. For every expert study one can cite for justifying lower protein diets, there's another that says the higher the protein and lower the grains, the better. I almost feel as though I need to return to school for a dog nutrion degree just to ensure I'm properly caring for my dog

To complicate things further . . .prevailing wisdom on one forum can be opposite on another, depending on how adept posters are at swaying toward their position. All this results in a whole lot of confusion
And isn't that the TRUTH?!?!

I had been reading how everyone seemed to think TOTW was a great food and their dogs did well on it. So we tried it here. We developed staining after starting it. And it is possible it was an allergy to the protein source. I have no idea. I have been told that the protein source in the TOTW formulas is quite rich and that some dogs systems do not handle it as well as others.

I, too, feel totally confused and overwhelmed by this topic. Augie was doing very well on the food he was sent home from the breeder with and we continued with. And then I started feeling guilty that maybe he wasn't being fed as well as he could be, after reading the food threads, and started messing with things - very gradually. But it was after that, that we had urinary issues, staining, etc. I wish, after the fact, that I had left things alone!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #24
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I started with Eukanuba and switched to half Orijen, half home cooked preparation and have to say, I have noted a marked change in Isabella . . .firmer poos, and a great deal more energy and her vet is happy with the results. So for now, that's where I'll remain . . .until that next study LOL

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #25
Kathie

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Ivy, we found TOTW at Tractor Supply. That and Walmart are our only sources in this small town! The nearest Pet Smart is over an hour away. Abby seems to like TOTW better than the Blue Buffalo since she used to pick out the little "life source" bits. McGee will eat anything! I think Abby started to get some staining around her mouth from TOTW and it didn't seem to lessen McGee's tear stains so right now I'm not sure what to do. I really would like to keep buying their food locally. Their poops seem to be a tiny bit larger with the TOTW but still firm. We have been getting the Roasted Bison.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #26
lhuo000

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi..Your puppy like what ever food you must give those food because if you change the food of the puppy may be she come to sick position...Can you weight the puppy by the scale or not?

Last edited by lhuo000; 05-13-2013 at 08:42 AM.
lhuo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyagogo View Post
I went to our local Agway to get some Puppy Wellness for Jinx. I haven't been in there in a while and they had lots of really good brands of dog food. Unfortunately, the only Puppy Wellness they had was a 15 lb bag and I don't want a bag that big (he won't be a puppy by the time he would finish that bag)!

I came across a brand called Taste of the Wild. Has anybody tried it?
We have but they had a recall so I stopped buying it.Mine did well on wellness but they also had recalls. So now I'm feeding them Formm and they like it.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #28
FancyNancy
Henry's Mom

Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hi my darling Ivy - Don't you think Jinx could be on adult food at this point? I put Hen on regular food when he was about 8 months old. Jinx certainly doesn't need any more energy from what I've seen!!!