Male marking - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #21
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfung5 View Post
Yes! I am like the police when it comes to marking I watch him like a hawk. If he is going to try it will be in the first 5 minutes. So I literally follow him around for 5 minutes! Then if I am unsure, I will put his bad boy pants on. They are always dry when i take them off though.

My dog sitter takes them to her house once in awhile. I tell her repeatedly to watch him and correct him and he will never try again. She doesn't listen to me and he has a field day at her house! She say, Scudder peed through his belly band again.....ugh.

My sister has a beautiful home. My guys are their pretty often. Years ago when she first moved in, Fred tried to mark her custom curtains! I caught him before he did it and my guys have never tried to mark in her house since! They know which houses are fair game. These guys are not dumb!
I LOVE the "bad boy pants"!

Actually, when you think of it from their perspective, how are they supposed to know that ALL houses are off-limits?... Especially if they can smell that other dogs have peed and/or marked there too! I think it takes years of saying, "not here, and not here, and not here..." until they have really generalized this.

Kodi had NEVER marked in someone else's house until I took him back to visit the King's. He dutifully used one of their (numerous) litter boxes to pee when he was indoors and needed to, but at one point, with us all standing there, he marked on a dog bed on the floor. Pam told me that several other visiting dogs had done the same thing. (it had been thoroughly washed in between, but dog noses are VERY good!) Because we caught him in the act, and I made my displeasure IMMEDIATELY known, he didn't try it again.

I think that one thing many pet owners don't understand about dog brains (and I only learned from working with our trainers) is that dogs are notoriously poor at generalizing information. To get back to raising puppies, that's why many people know their puppy is totally reliable in the kitchen and family room, decide they are "fully trained", so give them unsupervised access to the whole house, and then are shocked when the pup, who, according to them, KNOWS where to go, "deliberately" pees and poops various other places in the house.

Last edited by krandall; 01-11-2013 at 06:19 PM.
krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
narci
Rocky, Oreo's daddy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oreo was neutered at 8 month but he marks like no tomorrow.

Our typical daily walk is...walk...lamp post..mark...walk tree...mark...walk...next lamp post...mark...walk...next tree...mark...

You can imagine in an urban street how many trees and lamp posts are paralleling the sidewalk.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #23
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have a 1/2 hav and 1/2 shih tzu, Ollie. and after talking to the vet, I was going to wait till he was 1 yr old, to get him fixed so he could grow to his full size. He started marking at 18 wks old, and I think he was 8 months old, he marked a female co-worker of mine, then at a havanese puppy meet up, on a off leash walk, he tried to mark 3 different women. he's fixed now, and 3 yrs old, but yesterday he was on a playdate with a new female hav, and new ppl. he tried to mark the female owner, twice. I stopped him, but um, he's a marker.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Brody will be 2 in February and so far he's shown zero signs of marking behaviour inside or out. Hopefully that doesn't change. He likes to sniff everything thoroughly, but hasn't shown any need to pee on top of what he smells. Ha ha.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #25
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Kodi was close to 3 before he marked for the first time. And he STILL only marks in areas where a lot of other dogs have been marking, like at shows or training centers.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #26
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
EEEEK...Gonna keep my fingers crossed on him not starting it! ha ha

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #27
jessegirl
Rollie's Mom

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I watch Kodi like a hawk if we're in someone else's house where I know there's a dog that has accidents. It's surprising how many people don't admit it. But if I see Kodi doing a lot of sniffing around in an area, it's back on leash until we leave that person's house! I don't want him to get the idea that that is OK EVER.
Definitely good thinking here.

Jessica & Rollie
jessegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #28
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstray View Post
EEEEK...Gonna keep my fingers crossed on him not starting it! ha ha
It's fine with me if he does it outside ON HIS TIME. When we're on a walk, though we WALK... we do NOT dilly dally to sniff posts and trees. And indoors...he'd better not even THINK about marking. THat's why I watch him closely in homes where I'm not sure HOW "house trained" the resident dogs are.