Havanese Forum banner

Blowing Coat Question

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ivyagogo 
#1 ·
If Jinx hasn't blown coat yet at 11 months old, will he? It was a nightmare with Gryff and Gryff still gets matted all the time. Jinx's fur is so easy to deal with.

#3 ·
Ceylon never went through a period of intense blowing coat, at least not that I ever noticed. His coat just gradually got harder and harder to deal with until about 10-12 months, then gradually got easier to deal with. He still sheds a lot for a supposedly "non-shedding" dog (I know that's not accurate for any dog - but Cey still sheds a LOT!); somebody told me when I asked about it that some Havs are like that - instead of blowing coat all at once, they do so over a much longer, more gradual period of time. Is Jinx's hair clipped? If Cey's had been clipped I never would have noticed any issues with him, even at his worst.

Also, some Havs just have naturally silkier and easier coats in general. Sounds like you might have gotten lucky on both issues with Jinx :).

#4 ·
Beau will be 2 on 12/21 -- and he has never "blown" his coat. That said, he doesn't seem to have an undercoat. He has very fine, silky hair. If he would EVER let me brush/comb him, I wouldn't have to have him groomed every month! The groomer said he is getting better for her, but not for me. Until/if I find out it's a problem for some reason, I consider us both to be very lucky!

#5 ·
Both of my dogs hate being brushed. I don't even bother with it except for their ears and tails. I take them to the groomer about every 3 months and that seems to work. They are both in puppy cuts so they are looking pretty mangy by the time I get them all dolled up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.