Havanese Forum banner

Success with Thundershirt?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  mmphelps 
#1 ·
I know some people think the Thundershirt is a gimmick, but I got one just to try it out. I got it mainly to help Louis with his nervous drooling whenever he is in a car (he drools in other situations too). If he's sitting in my lap while I'm in the passenger seat, he is totally fine. If I'm driving and he's sitting next to me, he drools. If I step away from the car whether he's in there by himself (my other dog is with him though) or with my husband, he will drool a lake.

With the thundershirt, he drools, but not as much! Sometimes not at all. It also helped him with a thunderstorm on Sunday night. When it thunders (or fireworks), he will drool and shake. He still shook, but it seemed to get him to calm down faster. The only annoying thing is his hair is so long and the shirt needs to fit really snug - the velcro catches his hair.

#3 ·
I've been looking into these lately. Tillie has started (since July) trembling horribly in the car, it is heartbreaking and I am at my wits end. I have tried everything, holding her on my lap, in a car seat, in a crate, front of the van, back of the van, short trips with lots of encouragement, always going to to fun places... nothing is helping. I'm at the point now where I just don't take her with me anywhere anymore... :( and niether one of us is happy about that.

#4 ·
I've read reviews of them elsewhere on the net and they seem to get an overwhelmingly positive response. Plus, I love the name Thundershirt.

As a total sidenote, my brother and his gf tackle hug their pug and yell out "thundershirt!" while they do it. It cracks me up.

#5 ·
Tammy, I'd love to know why this fear reaction starts; apparently it can often start after the dog is something like 3+ years old for no known reason. Tucker was fine with everything until he was about 4 years old. Maybe just before he turned 4, I can't remember. Nothing untoward happened to make any one storm different that another, he never had a firecracker lit under him... I can't figure it out and would like to understand it, even if I can't change it.

#9 ·
ditto. sigh. it sure has become a big stress and saddens me so much. She used to be just the happiest traveler and would sleep most of the time. Now she is a trembling, shivering mess no matter what I do. I just don't bring her with me anymore... :( picking the kids up from school was always the highlight of her day. :Cry:

#6 ·
yeah Sheri, these sort of phobias can start at any age, and sometimes one never knows what instigates them. For the vast majority of trainers at our IAABC, they like them. They don't always work for every dog ,just like anything else. Quite often it helps to work on counter conditioning excercises as well. The same principle works with children as well .

#11 ·
I got one for Tino to help calm him in his crate and it seems to help. He got really mellow when I first put it on him. He usually whines when I leave the room, but instead he waited quietly by the baby gate until I came back. I need to remember to put it on him on garbage mornings as the garbage truck worries him--that would be a good test of its effectiveness. For the $40 price tag, I do wish that I had the wherewithal to take it out of the box, sketch it, and sew my own. It's a little pricey IMO. Maybe I could sew some less expensively and donate to rescue. Would that be kosher?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.