Havanese Forum banner

Phantom poo odor?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  sprorchid 
#1 ·
Does this happen to anyone else?: your pup has a poop accident, you thoroughly clean up, but over the next few hours you SWEAR you get a whiff of poop even when you are not near the scene of the crime! Am I nuts? Lol! Paranoia can have strange effects...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
I hear ya Michelle, maybe it's the Phantom of the Opoopera ?

#9 ·
Hehehe I love these answers they have all happened to me, especially the shoes. After you clean the carpet put down a single layer of white papers towels, then a white towel...I have lots of these small cotton towels from Sam's for cleanups...then but something heavy on top, try to leave it over night, at least until the carpet is dry. You will see the last residue on the paper towels or if bad the towel. If it is a carpet that bleeds (think asian,wool,Indian,silk,etc.) do this instead use one part cider vinger to one part water and blot after cleaning. Also if you have a high power dog dryer these work great for speeding the process non-heat setting. Sometimes stuff is left and we can not see it, I have a black light (not OCD my nose smells all things good and bad) it helps with finding urine. Hope this helps.

#12 ·
If you have orientals, my old room mate, whose family was in the oriental rug business, taught me this trick... Besides doing what Robbie mentioned on the TOP, also putt several pieces of wadded up newspaper underneath. You want the rug to have airflow from underneath too, for good drying. Otherwise you can rot the threads that the rug is knotted on.

#10 ·
He did have something stuck to his hiney, so off to the bathroom for a butt bath. The phantom poo smell was happening after the butt bath. I'm not ashamed to tell you good people that I actually got down on the rug and sniffed in a pattern like a bloodhound until I found a spot on the carpet that needed nature's miracle. At least I'm not smelling smells that aren't there, although that does happen too...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#11 ·
Sometimes you might smell a musty smell, poo-ish smelly but more musty, it's their anal glands, needing to be expressed. Just a heads up on that one.

On one of my big dogs, when he was geriatric, I was expressing his anal glands, one was clogged (didn't know at the time), and under my finger pressure, it shot out, and the white stuff that came out almost hit me in the face. so don't be too close when you do it!

#13 ·
Oh, Pam King also told me about a product that works MUCH better than Nature's Miracle. It's called "Anti Icky-Poo". (you can find it on line) It's the stuff that is used to clean up crime scenes, so it REALLY does the job on biological odors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.