Getting frantic - potty nightmare - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
I bought Woolite pet carpet cleaner and its important to try to get all the sent out. My two have had to move several times and it was hard to house train them. They totally ruined the rug at their second home the stains never came up. I think they just thought it was okay. When I moved into my sisters the rug was new and they only had one accident in the 8 mo I lived their. Now I'm in an old apartment with old rugs and another dog lived here before. They have had several accidents I feel like we are on a loosing battle. They are fine on the days I have off of work. They ask to go outside. They use their indoor potty area 99% of the time when I'm gone. But about twice a week I find a mess on the rug. Lately I have tried the carpet cleaner and a rug deodorizer that seems to help a bit. I would rather have accidents then keep them in a kennel so I just live with it. Mine are over two years old.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
ldyj

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jude was really doing well with the training, and in fact, actually barked at the back door about the 2nd day I had him at less than 6 weeks! I felt like I had been blessed by the doggie gods - then he seemed to regress. . .He's doing pretty good, he's at about 75% out doors, but I have to watch him closely cause, as you all know, somehow they can manage to leave a gift no matter how alert you think YOU are lol! I did have pee pads for him, but now he just wants to drag them around and tear them up. . . sigh!
J
ldyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
AnnaM

Submit Photo: 32
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
ha ha, ya, Tillie ALWAYS needs to go out the second I sit down to finally relax in my recliner. lol
Same with Lola .... As soon as I sit down for dinner, she has to go
AnnaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
When I was potty training Dexter, I set a timer every 20 minutes and slowly increase the minutes. It is time consuming, but oh so worth it!

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Louella

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi everyone. I moved Teddy's area to the kitchen and blocked off the entries to the rest of the house. Teddi seems happier with the new arrangements. During the day I take her out every 30 mins. We are doing better. I am feeding her cooked rice and hamburger at the suggestion of our Vet when she got diaherra. I mix her dry food with the rice/hamburger. Sometimes she has diaherra a couple times a day and then her next BM will be normal. Has anyone else seen this type of GI problem?
Louella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
ldyj

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have. many years ago we adopted a 14 month old Weinheimer from the pound. She was so thin you could count her vertebra all the way down her back to the end of her tail. She was a very sick puppy. I immediately took her to the vet and got her shots, and he recommended rice and hamburger - nothing else. She would eat (she was starved) and then either throw up or have diarrhea. I gave her less more often and it seemed to help. This, along with sneezing mucus everywhere, lasted for about 3 days, and then her system seemed to settle down. She actually got to be a bit chunky - and wouldn't leave me for a moment she was so grateful. So was I, I loved for for a very long time, she had a good life.

The only reason I relate this story to you is to suggest that you may want to feed your baby less of the rice and hamburger more often. Sounds like you're on the right track!
J
Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
Alexa
Marley's Mom

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 3 Posts
It seemed to take forever to get Marley potty trained. We literally had to watch him every second he was out of the pen and not sleeping. Took him out every 20 minutes, later every half hour, then every hour. One day he finally got it and has been golden ever since. But just be aware that 16 weeks is just a starting age for many Havs, this is a long term project and you have to stay on top of it or it will drag out even longer. Frustrating, I know, but worth sticking with in the long run.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
HannahBearsMom

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Maccabee is just getting over a UTI and bladder stones. He has been more reliable, but not 100%, since a couple days after the UTI was diagnosed. His trainer suggested I limit his access to the litter box to when he is in his expen. When he out of the expen she wants me to take him outside regularly. Does this make sense?

I know Maccabee can hold his urine, because he doesn't have accidents in his crate at night. But when he has free rein of the living room, he goes back to his litter box frequently to pee (or he pees on the carpet). As I mentioned previously, the carpet peeing has reduced significantly since he was treated for the UTI (many fewer accidebnts, and none since last Thursday). But, since he was peeing on the carpet somewhat regularly (not every day, but sometimes multiple times in one day) for many months we really need to treat him like a puppy in training.

The trainer thinks he will catch on quickly. Does limiting his access to the litter box when out of the ex pen make sense?

Starborn Light My Fire (Maccabee)

HannahBearsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahBearsMom View Post
Maccabee is just getting over a UTI and bladder stones. He has been more reliable, but not 100%, since a couple days after the UTI was diagnosed. His trainer suggested I limit his access to the litter box to when he is in his expen. When he out of the expen she wants me to take him outside regularly. Does this make sense?

I know Maccabee can hold his urine, because he doesn't have accidents in his crate at night. But when he has free rein of the living room, he goes back to his litter box frequently to pee (or he pees on the carpet). As I mentioned previously, the carpet peeing has reduced significantly since he was treated for the UTI (many fewer accidebnts, and none since last Thursday). But, since he was peeing on the carpet somewhat regularly (not every day, but sometimes multiple times in one day) for many months we really need to treat him like a puppy in training.

The trainer thinks he will catch on quickly. Does limiting his access to the litter box when out of the ex pen make sense?
Only if your decision is to permanently train him away from the litter box. Even very good trainers often don't understand about litter boxes, GOOD breeders who start their pups RIGHT on indoor potties. It's up to you, but I find maintaining litter box use to be useful to us. If you chose to continues with it, I would STRONGLY suggest that you call Pam and talk this through. Have your trainer help you with everything else you want, but let Pam, who has successfully trained hundreds of puppies to use a litter box AND go outdoors help you with is one.

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #20
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
The two outings I hate is the 6pm and the last one which is usually around 7:30-8:00. I miss being able to get in my Jammie's and lounge around in the evening. I'm a news junkie and I swear when he hears the news start that's his signal that its time to go!