Havanese and birds - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Oh, Anna, talk about Cheeky as much as you want. I am sure several of us would love to read stories of her. And for those who don't, they don't have to read or they can just go away! She sounds quite brilliant to have learned your names so quickly. I have heard that the African greys are quite intelligent. She sounds like she will be so much fun!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #22
Anna6

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I find the big parrots a bit intimidating with thise strong beaks, but I also think they are very beautiful. And from what I've read, the African Greys are the smartest of the bunch. Hope she "owns" you for many long years!!!
Love the little parrotlets and so many other wonderful birds. It was hard to choose and we also really looked at cockatoos. I just found so many cockatoos that people in this area and even further north put outside or in the garage that I was very concerned about taking one unless it was a bare eyed.

My heart lay with an African Grey but I had been told they could not handle many people and we have eight to ten people home 24/7. the owner of Cheeky felt different and I think she was right. cheeky thrives on all the attention and different people. Normally she is never alone.

I had wanted a timneh originally but this congo spoke to me and it also seemed that way for Cheeky's previous parront. Also DS really wanted an African Grey. I realize he is only 11 but he has been consistent and interested in birds for many years. The idea is for him to take her when he is an adult. I am not sure if I will be able to give her up by then though. She is only 2 1/2 yrs old and can easily live to be 35. I am really working on tweeking her diet so as to make sure her health continuous to be good and for her to be in our family forever just like Nina.
Anna6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #23
Anna6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodrop82 View Post
OMG! She sounds absolutely delightful! I am sooo jealous! It sounds like her name fits her perfectly! Congratulations!
I really think you should look for one. If you take a rehome that was loved you will be helping a bird and its previous owner. i know Cheeky's prevous parront felt a real peace after we had talked as she felt it was the best solution for Cheeky. It took me atually much longer to feel that way and not till the last moment I could see it coming together.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
dodrop82

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
How did you find Cheeky?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #25
Anna6

I'll PM you.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #26
Anna6

Update on Cheeky our African Grey. We have been really enjoying her. As for Nina and Cheeky they seem OK with each other. One time Cheeky was on the ground and Nina got too friendly but Cheeky nipped a bit of Nina's hair. I think from what I have heard from other owners many parrots are the boss over the dog and I think it is that way here too. Ofcourse leaving a dog and parrot un supervised would not be wise but then I do not let Nina alone with my parakeets either. We are in contact with Cheeky's previous owner all the time and has send her updates, pictures and video clips. We are both thrilled at how well Cheeky has transitioned. I wanted to add that because people expressed a concern about a parrot out living its parront. Ours was a rehome and has done really well as have two rehomes that my friend took in that were much older and one from an abusive/neglect setting. There are support boards available to help along the way and we were blessed in that our rehome's previous parront prepared Cheeky and helped us. These birds are way more resilient then they get credit for. I also find them much easier as a pet then a dog as does my friend that has the two parrots and a dog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-01-04_12-49-33_911 (Custom).jpg (27.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-01-04_18-07-41_353 (Custom).jpg (35.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-01-04_12-50-07_641 (Custom).jpg (23.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-01-01_21-11-05_485 (Custom).jpg (75.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Anna6; 01-27-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: add pict.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #27
irnfit

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 18 Times in 18 Posts
Long story short....my SIL thought breeding birds would be a great way to earn extra $$$. This all started because my grandson wanted a parakeet and we have two. Now we have 8 parrots of assorted sizes and two conures. The big birds stay in the basement, so they don't interact with the dogs. The few times that I have taken Kodi in their room, he has been very curious, but that's about it. And he doesn't really care about the parakeets that are upstairs.

Michele
Kodi & Shelby's Mom and Julian's Grandma
irnfit is offline   Reply With Quote