Havanese Forum banner

Met our new puppy today!!

4K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  Ewokpup 
#1 ·
Hi all, I posted few weeks ago asking for information regarding breeders in Georgia (my screen name was different then...I forgot that a/c password, so had to open a new a/c). We met the breeder and the mom and dad back in December and the puppies were born the very next day. Now they are 5 weeks old and we went to see them today. We wanted a boy and since the litter had 4 girls and one boy, we kind of thought he would be the one. When we went to meet them, he was the first one to walk up to us and licked/smelled my fingers and came to me. He was wagging his tail for whole hour we were there. But when the breeder came and joined, he did not want to stay with me and wanted to be with her. Is this a good thing ? :(
And also I noticed the minute she called him he turned and came to her...but wouldn't do that for me...I guess this is because I'm still a stranger for him? we stayed for about an hour and towards the end he did sit with me even though the breeder was in the room. Would it be a good idea to keep meeting him in the next 6-7 weeks before we get him home for us to get used to each other? The breeder is very nice and gave me all the information like supply list, his habits etc., he is the only boy and he is the biggest of all. Oh, BTW...he is black and white like an Oreo...so my boys decided to name him Odieo hence the new screen name! I do have pictures will post them soon...

Sunita

See less See more
#2 ·
I think he sounds great. He has just gotten used to the breeder but he was also very friendly to you. Maddie followed her breeder everywhere too. She then followed me everywhere. How exciting and I love his name. It would be fun to go visit more just to be able to see him.

#3 ·
welcome to the forum , I bet you're excited. Totally normal. so long as he approached you it shows he's not timid. Get some pictures.

#7 ·
Puppy pics

We are getting him from Windy Hill Havanese. They had 2 litters in December...ours was born on December 10th! Here are few pictures breeder sent us from last week (he was 3.5 weeks)....she posts videos on youtube too, it is nice to see puppy interact with her kids and playing.

Attachments

#12 ·
Awesome! I just love Julie! You will have to tell her I said she was a sweetheart when you had asked in the beginning..lol! I have hung out with her at a couple shows. I will be seeing her in a few weeks at the show in Atlanta. I figured you were probably getting one from her because she has a couple litters. I saw the video of her twins playing with some of them. Anyway congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#15 ·
So Cute! He reminds me of Dexter when he was a little puppy! Your new life will begin soon. Stock up on patience and exercise. And know, you will probably pay more for hair supplies for your puppy than you do for yourself. One more thing.....a puppy is like getting a new baby in the house, so you will be busy and exhausted.

#16 ·
Linda, I hear you! I'm trying to prepare myself...the feeling is just like having a new baby....I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I have been religiously reading every single post (old and new) and all the links on this forum...I feel empowered with all the information but it is intimidating also. Oh BTW, it wouldn't hurt me to loose a pound or two with all the exercise.

So true about hair supplies, this pic is from when he was about 3 weeks old, he is so much more fluffier now and has very thick coat.

#18 ·
So cute, thanks for sharing. His behavior is totally normal, the breeder is his "main human" for now, the same way you will be his main person to follow around once you have him for a little bit if you are the one that spends the most time feeding, cuddling, walking him etc.

#19 ·
He's adorable. I have to agree with everyone else. It would be unusual if he didn't gravitate to his breeder since she's the one he's known from the start. The fact that he spent so much time with you and was outgoing is a plus. Get ready for a fun, exciting and occasionally frustrating time.

#28 ·
wow, 5 weeks is too early. My breeder like yours doesn't like sending them out until 12 weeks. I personally think that is too late; it's right in the middle of their fear period and sometimes some critical bonding time is missing. They are also learning some lifelong habits during that time (and potentially picking up bad habits). I think 8-10 weeks is perfect, but there are lots of competing opinions. Most people would agree that they should still be with their moms until at least 7 or 8 weeks even if weaned because they are learning a lot of social skills that only their mom and siblings can teach.

BTW your pup is gorgeous, and how nice that you do get to visit with him.

#29 ·
Thanks for that bit of information...we were contemplating on when to bring him home...since my husband travels I wanted to bring him when he was going to be around for at least for 2 weeks so that they could bond. My husband will be home end of February which will put us around 10 weeks for the puppy. My nanny's parents breed ****zu's and she said the same thing about bringing him home around 10 weeks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.