Best toys/bones for teething pup? - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Puppy Area

Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #21
Alcibides

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
A study in a Canadian Journal. Here's the bit that says what you say miss tray...but hey, if contamination is an issue...

The study also revealed that the bully sticks can harbor harmful bacteria. Researchers said that many dog owners are unaware that the treats are made from raw meat and should be handled accordingly.

The group sampled 26 bully sticks purchased from retailers in the United States and Canada and made by different manufacturers. They found one tainted with Clostridium difficile, a bacteria that can cause gastrointestinal illness. Another had traces of methicillin-resistant Staphyloccocus aureus, or MRSA, and another had an antibiotic-resistant strain of E. coli.

The number of treats sampled was small and not all of these bacterial strains have been shown to infect humans. However, the researchers advise all pet owners to wash their hands after touching such treats.

The team advised dog owners to observe the same sanitary practices they would with raw meat when handling bully sticks. Dog owners should thoroughly wash their hands with soap and warm water after touching the treats and children, pregnant women, the elderly and people with compromised immune systems should avoid handling them.

- See more at: http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/pos....85kkjF6r.dpuf
Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #22
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmPuppy View Post
This is all such great info. At 9 weeks Benny has a few BABY teeth poking through. I bought some soft chews and cut them up in 4's and he doesn't seem to have much interest in them...

I am looking for a training treat that he will be able to eat fairly quick. We do A LOT of verbal praise, however, I think that using treats will take him to the next level. He is doing will with house breaking, but I want to start teaching him basic commands... sit, stay, come, down etc...

I also have a question about Bully Sticks... do I have to wait until all his teeth are in to give him one to gnaw on? I do understand that he should only have it when he is supervised.

I also saw somewhere that Greenies dental chews are not good for Havanese? Is that correct. Bummer... I just ordered a box because my vet recommended them!

Thanx for the help and feedback!
They aren't just bad for Havanese... They are dangerous for ALL dogs. I was told by a vet that they had been reformulated and were safe. I let Kodi have them, which resulted in $1600 in vet bills. The ER vets at the university hospital told me that dental chews are the number one reason for surgical impactions. (Kodi didn't need surgery, but needed to be hosiptalized twice)

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #23
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibides View Post
The link between bully sticks and disease (e-boli even) scared me off of them but they were the best in terms of engaging and lasting..though they do get mushy and disgusting. The antlers seem to last and if you get the broad ones sliced down the middle, there must be a marrow or something that at least appears to be an added draw. I hear about the Greenies too but think they corrected that product and my vet sells them too. good luck. My Hav at 16 months is a very big chewer and the challenge of satisfying that and occupying him remains.
I think you mean E-coli. . E-coli is actually a very common bacterial contaminant in dog and people food.

I know lots of vets sell them, but even though the formulation has been changes, they STILL don't digest properly before leaving the stomach if the dog bites off a big piece. (as per Tufts University Animal Hospital). When Kodi got his impaction from a Greenie, it was after the supposed formula change. So if you do it, just be forewarned... It could be a mighty expensive chew treat.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #24
KimmPuppy

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
They aren't just bad for Havanese... They are dangerous for ALL dogs. I was told by a vet that they had been reformulated and were safe. I let Kodi have them, which resulted in $1600 in vet bills. The ER vets at the university hospital told me that dental chews are the number one reason for surgical impactions. (Kodi didn't need surgery, but needed to be hosiptalized twice)
Oh goodness! That is awful. I bought a box for my Mom's pup too for Mother's Day. Guess they will be going back. Sorry to hear what happened to Kodi!
KimmPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #25
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmPuppy View Post
Oh goodness! That is awful. I bought a box for my Mom's pup too for Mother's Day. Guess they will be going back. Sorry to hear what happened to Kodi!
Well, he's fine now... That was a couple of years ago. But it was pretty scary when it happened!

Old 05-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #26
narci
Rocky, Oreo's daddy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Take a braided rope. Soak in water or chicken broth. Freeze it and give to puppy
Old 05-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #27
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by narci View Post
Take a braided rope. Soak in water or chicken broth. Freeze it and give to puppy
Or even a wash cloth. I just used water (not so messy) and Kodi LOVED them!!! I kept several frozen, so I could rotate them.