Havanese Forum banner

Introduce yourself part 3!

118K views 668 replies 166 participants last post by  Lalla 
#1 ·
Seems there are so many new members! Decided to start a new introduce yourself thread. Please post pictures!

Hi,
I am Linda. I live outside of Philadelphia. I have 3 wonderful havanese.

Bella almost 8 years old. The smallest full grown Hav I have ever met. She thinks she's a cat.

Fred almost 7 yrs old. I should have named him trouble or grump. He is the grumpiest havanese I have ever met. He is like the canine version of Archie Bunker. Just look how mean he looks:). He wouldn't hurt a fly though.

Scudder almost 6 years old. He is the most easy going, mild manner dog. I call him the mayor!

Attachments

See less See more
#615 ·
welcome, hope you find what you're looking for.

#616 ·
My name is Mommy....oh wait I mean April lol. We adopted this tiny weirdo {or mop dog as I call him} this summer.
My hubby named him Ricco {think Madagascar penguin lol}

We were not real sure exactly what he was...breed that is. I am 90% sure hes at least part Hav. Tho his tail was docked and we are not sure why. Shelter here in KY had no clue what breed he was. Our vet was a tad lost as well! Seems in KY you dont see these guys much?

Any way thats our mop :D and we love him!

#620 ·
Hi there Optimist Prime - I too dreaded the thought of a puppy (oh no please Izzy don't read this) but let me tell you Izzy our most adorable Havanese puppy that we have had for 2 1/2 months has been the best easiest puppy ever - already trained unbelievable@@@@@@ so don't let the puppy thing terrify you again as it did me because I am loving being a puppy mom. The things they do are so cute and funny - she makes me smile every day - as would any dog - but a puppy .... plus the joy she has brought to my son.... PRICELESS......

#626 ·
Hi everyone! I am a brand new member just learning to use the forum. I surfed it as a guest for a couple of days then decided to dive in. We have a darling new puppy named Sheba. She is 18 weeks and we have had her since she was 8 weeks. Leah, I am so sorry about your loss.

#627 ·
I've been a member here for a few months now. My name is Kim. My husband and I recently got a Havanese puppy who will be 13 weeks old on Saturday. :) We also have 2 young sons (5 & 7) and an 11 year-old Papillon. We were wanting another dog who would be a good companion to both our children and our senior dog.

#628 ·
It's so much nicer having more than one dog, isn't it; I got Cuba as a companion to my Coton de Tulear, Tycho, after my first Coton, Pamba died tragically young. Tychy was 7 at the time I got Cuba, having had a few years on his own, and has thrived on having another dog in his little life; I do hope your papillon is happy - I have a friend with another Coton (the mother, in fact, of Pamba) who recently acquired a French Bulldog; I'm not sure it's good casting, honestly. I think the way dogs play together is important to get right and some dogs just play differently. At a class once when he was about two years old Tycho played - or rather tried to play - with a pug; but the pug's idea of play was to move off to a bit of a distance and then hurtle at Tycho and ram into his side. Tycho just sat down and refused point blank to play with this little tank. But he and Cuba run-like-hell together, and wrestle and hurtle about side by side and it works beautifully. I should have thought a papillon and a Havanese would be good together. I do hope that that is what you have found to be the case.

#629 ·
Javi and Oreo (my Papillon) play a little differently but Javi has adjusted wonderfully to it. My breeder thinks that Papillons tend to play with more "gusto" then her Havanese. I find that to be true at least in the case of Oreo and Javi...granted it has only been a week. ;) However, Oreo's play is much more quick and fierce and at first it was a bit intimidating with Javi. Oreo would growl and bark, grab his ball and run at and away from Javi. I think Javi was used to more of a gentle wrestle and romp and chase. At first, Javi would just plop down and look like what the heck has gotten into this other dog but now he chases after Oreo just fine. Oreo is super quick and will get away and doesn't really give the ball to Javi...at least until Javi plops down and then Oreo will roll the ball to him and bark...and it all starts over again. Oreo isn't much of a wrestler...he likes to chase and run away all the while squeaking a ball in his mouth.

Up until he was 2.5 years old, Oreo lived with 2 other dogs (another Papillon and a Wire Hair Fox Terrier) with myself and an exboyfriend. Since then, he has been the only dog for some time and had to endure me getting married and having children. ;) He gets really anxious if we have gone on vacation and our vet suggested we think about getting another dog so he has another member of his pack with him should we go away. As he has Atypical Addison's disease and doesn't handle stress to well, we were hoping adding another dog would be a good thing. It is definitely an adjustment as Oreo can be crabby and doesn't probably want to play nearly as much as Javi would like (or was use to with his littermates and/or the adult Havanese in his breeder's home) but I think they are both enjoying each other's company and my hope is it will only get better. I do think Havanese and Papillons make good playmates! They are so different...personality wise...but both precious.

#630 ·
Hi! I'm the mommy of an awesome furbaby named Gelato! I've been trying to post a thread to enlist your help!

I've had Gelato for 6 years and actually found her as a stray. We've always tried to guess what kind of breed she is and could never quite figure it out. I finally came across the existence of the Havanese breed and did some research. Everything I read was literally like reading about Gelato so I decided to join this forum to get some pro-havanese lovers to help me confirm she's Havanese. She exhibits all of the hava breed qualities, from fur to weight to height to paws and personality - all the way down to the "velcro-ness" of being a stage 5 clinger to me lol

I want to confidently say what kind of breed she is when people ask because I love her more than words could describe and feel sometimes, my heart could explode with how much I love her. I just want someone else to have the joy of feeling that way about their Havanese!

Attachments

#631 ·
She is absolutely adorable, and certainly COULD be a Havanese. The problem is, there are so many "small fluffy dog" mixed breeds out there, it's just about impossible to know unless you have the dog's pedigree. But that doesn't matter AT ALL! What matters is that you love each other! And whether she's a Havanese, part havanese or like-a-Havanese, it doesn't matter! You are welcome here! :)

#632 · (Edited)
New Owner

Hello I am Marcia from Tennessee and Atlanta. This is Kosmo and he is 4 months old. I brought him home at nine weeks and he is from a Georgia breeder.

Kosmos is my perfect canine match. He is a comedian and ironic. Example: He was playing with a chew toy and I was reaching over to make it squeak for him. I said, "Kosmo, it is too bad you don't have fingers like me to make your toy squeak". He squinted (as pictured) and between two second pauses made the toy go "squeek, squeak, squeak" with his teeth.

Happily, he is biting human mamma's wrists less at this developmental stage.>:)

Attachments

#635 ·
Hello I am Marcia from Tennessee and Atlanta. This is Kosmo and he is 4 months old. I brought him home at nine weeks and he is from a Georgia breeder.

Kosmos is my perfect canine match. He is a comedian and ironic. Example: He was playing with a chew toy and I was reaching over to make it squeak for him. I said, "Kosmo, it is too bad you don't have fingers like me to make your toy squeak. He squinted (as pictured) and between two second pauses made the toy go "Squeek, squeak, squeak" with his teeth.

Happily, he is biting human mammas wrists less at this developmental stage.>:)
So adorable 0:)

#633 ·
Different dog breeds as playmates

My children refer to Kosmo as their collies' squeaky toy. They love to run, like my fur baby. Let me stress that small dogs should be watched while playing with larger dogs. My friend just had a $400 vet bill to pay because a toy breed aggravated her German Shephard. Collies are gentle and sensitive creatures, but even these young girls tend to want to sit on Kosmo. These girls are five months old.

Attachments

#638 ·
Hello! My Name is Ariella, Ariey is my name for short.

Duke is my doggie, and Myself and my other half brought him home on April 2nd when he was 9 weeks old.
Duke however is not full Havanese, he is a HAVAPOO. His dominate jean is Havanese and he is a bundle of energy.
We live in Alberta, Canada. Duke is a spring puppy so come October/November he will be in for a culture shock when it dumps buckets of snow and the temperature plummets!

Here is a bunch of pictures of Duke, and as you notice.. yes we did have a grooming mishap he was shaved on the snout.. but it will grow back! I have learned so much and got the best advice from this forum, I'm a new dog owner and this is all new to myself and Duke!! Thanks to everyone that has already have me some solid advice, the tips and tricks I'm learning are creating a wonderful little dog!

Attachments

#640 ·
Hello! My Name is Ariella, Ariey is my name for short.

Duke is my doggie, and Myself and my other half brought him home on April 2nd when he was 9 weeks old.
Duke however is not full Havanese, he is a HAVAPOO. His dominate jean is Havanese and he is a bundle of energy.
We live in Alberta, Canada. Duke is a spring puppy so come October/November he will be in for a culture shock when it dumps buckets of snow and the temperature plummets!

Here is a bunch of pictures of Duke, and as you notice.. yes we did have a grooming mishap he was shaved on the snout.. but it will grow back! I have learned so much and got the best advice from this forum, I'm a new dog owner and this is all new to myself and Duke!! Thanks to everyone that has already have me some solid advice, the tips and tricks I'm learning are creating a wonderful little dog!
Duke's nose is already looking lots better! :)

Reactions: DuketheDog
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.