Havanese Forum banner

Tragedy and Sad Days in Connecticut

3K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Milo's Mom 
#1 ·
As a Connecticut teacher, what happened in Newtown was always my worst fear. I would like to reach out to all educators and parents on the forum. We can find strength and hope in community. The forum is an amazing community. My thoughts and prayers go out to all. We are all affected by this tragic event.

#2 ·
Right on Joyce. Wow that must have really struck you hard ,so close to home. The times have really changed. I just mentioned to Gwen how when I was in grade eight, I took three long guns into the high school and did a seminar on hunting. I don't imagine that would be allowed today. Hard to explain. God bless all those affected by this senseless tragedy.

#3 ·
What could possible have gone wrong with the shooter for him to go to the school and massacre these angels? And what was wrong with his mother that she needed to have 6 unsecured assault weapons in her home? My brain can not grasp this.

#6 ·
I had just dropped my boys off at kindergarten when I heard the news. It took everything I had not to get back in the car and pick them up from school, keep them close to me all day. No point trying to wrap my mind around this--it's beyond my capacity to understand or explain. Why a civilian needs any--much less multiple--military level automatic assault weapons is really beyond me. How is it that the right to own and carry firearms takes precedence over the right to be safe from mentally ill murderers who are free to compile an arsenal? Our government has increased security in response to terrorist attacks, so why has it not increased gun control in response to these senseless slaughters in schools? What could be more important than our children?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
I live in coutry with 5 million people and we have only around 30 murders a year, but when you want to buy a gun you have to pass all kinds of tests, talk to psychologist, police... it takes couple od months and quite a lot of money to get a permission to own a simple gun, not assault weapons because you cannot have them even if you pass all tests, and get a licence. When you get licence to own a gun, you have to renew it every year and police comes to your house to check if you have safe storage with combination lock or double keys. Even hunters go through same procedure.
I have just read all those tragic stories told by families of little ones brutally killed in their classroom. I just cannot stop tears. I think that after this tragedy you have to scrap second amendment and regulate gun ownership by simple laws. As long as you have gun ownership as constituional right, things like this will happen. Even if your fed govt changes laws it will take time to get this under control. But I think it is worth doing it in memory of those 20 six and seven year olds and their teachers. RIP little angels!

#10 ·
You are so right about our gun laws needing to be changed . I have never felt so saddened. What is going on? We had a shooting at a mall not 5 miles from my house this week then this. We had three deceased including the shooter it could have been a lot worse but his gun jammed. My heart goes out to everyone.:grouphug:

#8 ·
Our entire state is in deep mourning. President Obama visits today; I hope that he will have the strength and courage to fight for gun control. The images of those beautiful children and brave teachers should push this country into action.

#9 ·
Horrific tragedy. There are no words for it. Hopefully this will finally push the American government to finally put some restrictions in place. There should be a right to own a gun but not without much greater restrictions. The American stats compared to other countries prove it. Sorry for the rant, but its for those precious babies and their brave teachers

#12 ·
I think also think this forum is a great community and I respect that you acknowledged this terrible tragedy on here. I am a teacher in the making and have a passion for teaching and children. I have felt such a deep sense of heartache for the victims: the children, the faculty members, their families, and the community as a whole. This poor community has been bombarded with such a horrific nightmare. I will continue to think of Newtown, CN and pray for them. Each of those children were so beautiful and innocent. The faculty members are heroes. It is all just so sad and tragic.

#13 ·
There is absolutely NO reason for a citizen to have an assault rifle. People should only be allowed to have guns that shoot six rounds before having to reload. That is all that is needed for hunting and target shooting. We need to change the laws. NOW! This can not be allowed to happen again. It sounds like we need to explore the laws that Croatia has. If a person can prove they are of sound mind and have a legitimate reason to have a gun only then should they be permitted to have one.

#15 ·
Totally agree.

Did anyone see Peirs Morgan's segments? Some pro gun guy's answer to this is to have more guns. He thinks that people should have more guns to protect themselves from people like the shooter.

Great.

I pray for those who were innocently taken from this world and pray that their families can find resolved in all this nonsensical violence.

#16 ·
I believe that the addictive, violent, video games are FAR more to blame for the increased violence in our country. Many (most?) young people spend literally hours every day playing those bloody, violent games. I've heard teachers talk about children even in kindergarten having trouble telling the difference between reality and a video game.

Ban violent video games.

#20 ·
Maybe, but I think one of the BIGGEST problems is the HORRIBLE state of the mental health system in this country if someone is taken to the hospital for suicidal ideation, if they calm down at the hospital and agree to a "safety contract", they are sent merrily on their way, not even a 24 hour hold.

Even in the case of a minor (not sure about adult laws) threatening violence to others, they are not held if they calm down once at the hospital. (the vast majority do) They are simply sent home, though they may need a "safety evaluation" by a psychologist before being allowed to return to school. This consists of a couple of hours of marginally reliable testing and "talk" with a psychologist that probably has little or no background knowledge of the child.

Here in MA (and I think this is true of most states these days) there are NO LOCKED FACILITIES for people with mental health problems unless they have ALREADY committed a crime. I have parents on my case load who are BESIDE themselves because they can't get real help for their children with mental health problems. They have good private insurance, but neither that nor the state REALLY addresses the problem.

The system is really, really broke. Then you make it easy for these people (often kids or near-kids themselves) to access guns, and is there any question why there are terrible consequences?

#17 ·
I believe that much has to be done in this country. Parents should be monitoring their children's time on the computer and not allowing violent games. Having said that, this country needs to wake up about gun control. Why do citizens need assault rifles in their homes? Why would any mentally healthy person object to obtaining a hand gun in a safe way?

#18 ·
As I was reading through all posts on this particular thread, I had a thought and maybe someone in the teaching arena and in Ct would know how to get the idea to the proper person. The children will be going back to school soon and I thought that therapy dogs might be very helpful for them. Just a thought, my heart is so heavy and sad for them. Linda

#19 ·
Linda,

Wonderful idea! Lutheran Church Charities (from Chicago) sent a team of canine comfort dogs - 20 golden retrievers - to be with the children who were traumatized by the tragedy. The hearts of Connecticut are breaking as the funerals for these angels and their protectors take place.

#22 ·
This is scary stat on lobbying by the NRA...

The NRA outspent its chief opponent 73-1 to lobby the outgoing Congress, according to the nonpartisan Sunlight Foundation, which tracks such spending. It spent more than 4,000 times its biggest opponents during the 2012 election.

In all, the group spent at least $24 million US this election cycle - $16.8 million through its political action committee and nearly $7.5 million through its affiliated Institute for Legislative Action. Its chief foil, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, spent just $5,816.

On direct lobbying, the NRA also was far ahead. Through July 1, the NRA spent $4.4 million to lobby Congress to the Brady Campaign's $60,000.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/12/18/us-nra-facebook-gun-rights-newtown-connecticut.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.