Dog killed by coyote - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #31
nkl811

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope this helps!

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Ounce-GUARD-Pepper-Strength-Holster/dp/B003NQJOUK/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_text_y"
Amazon.com: 4 oz. Ounce GUARD DOG Pepper Spray Max. Strength 18% + Belt Holster!: Everything Else[/url]
Amazon.com: Mace Brand Muzzle Dog Repellent Pepper Spra: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: Halt! Dog Repellent 1.5 oz: Sports & Outdoors

Monica, Dooley & Roxie
Thanks for the ideas. I am purchasing this as well. If the air horn doesn't bother them, I will have the pepper spray. I just hope I never have to use either. Now I will be very aware of what is around me. My neighbor told me today that a small dog in our neighborhood was killed last year by coyotes.
nkl811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #32
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkl811 View Post
I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and have had several recent close calls with coyotes.
Just a few days ago, I had my 2 dogs out for their morning walk at about 8AM, my 8 month old Hav puppy and 2 year old Shi Poo. I turned around and saw a coyote running down the street towards us, probably 50 yards away. I realized there was another coyote following him. I knew we were in trouble, so I quickly ran the dogs to the front door of a neighbor, while luckily the coyotes made a turn and crossed the street cutting through another neighbor's back yard.

Just a week prior to this, I let the dogs out in our fenced in yard, at lunch time. I quickly grabbed a jacket and followed them. Both dogs were at the back fence barking like crazy. I ran out there, only to find a coyote on the other side of the fence. I started yelling and it just stayed there. I grabbed both pups and sprinted in, and the coyote just stood and watched me.

These coyotes are not afraid of people unfortunately. I am thankful for some ideas presented here. An airhorn would definitely come in handy. Might scare my dogs like crazy, but could save their lives. It is pretty sad I am afraid to take my dogs out for walks in the middle of the day.
What a drag to have to be fearful every time you go outside. Does the city try to do anything about it? When I lived at my sisters I almost bought stuff that was wolf urine I don't know if it really works .
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #33
Buzzys Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Laurie- this was in NJ (Wall area). I have been told that there have been coyote and bobcat sightings (we have never seen either), but I never let them out at night without me there.
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote