Havanese Forum banner

Hair growth progress

92K views 442 replies 69 participants last post by  Laurmann2000 
#1 · (Edited)
I shaved down Louis completely on May 12, 2012. His body was done with a #7 (3.2mm or 1/8"). His face was done with a #10 reverse, ears with a #10 with the grain.

I will take pictures of him weekly to track his hair growth.
Here is what we started with:

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
His hair is growing faster than Brody's I think. I just tortured him with a ruler to try and get an idea how long his hair is now, and I think it's around 3/4 of an inch. His legs and chest are starting to get that sticky-out look with the hair standing out, but his back is still pretty flat.

#23 ·
I have a few questions:
1. Does the hair grows different?
2. Does it grow stronger after a short cut/shave?
3. Does it take longer to grow on an adult vs. a Puppy?
4. How long does it take to grow back to full lenght?

Why I am asking...

Bumi has never has a cut (never ever ever), his hair is very fluffy, somewhat coarse (compared with Silky Toby). He is already in his adult coat (he is 3.1 years).

I love Havs with long coat, but I have been thinking of shaving him down (not too short, but maybe 2 inches or so). The one thing I would hate is for his hair to grow back different, or to never grow back to his original lenght.

Thanks

#25 ·
I have a few questions:
1. Does the hair grows different?
2. Does it grow stronger after a short cut/shave?
3. Does it take longer to grow on an adult vs. a Puppy?
4. How long does it take to grow back to full lenght?

Why I am asking...

Bumi has never has a cut (never ever ever), his hair is very fluffy, somewhat coarse (compared with Silky Toby). He is already in his adult coat (he is 3.1 years).

I love Havs with long coat, but I have been thinking of shaving him down (not too short, but maybe 2 inches or so). The one thing I would hate is for his hair to grow back different, or to never grow back to his original

Thanks
1. Does the hair grows different? Louis's hair still feels the same. It is still soft. I do notice that his hair is more wavy now that it is short and starting to grow.
2. Does it grow stronger after a short cut/shave? The quality of the hair (from the root) I believe depends on diet and genes. But just like cutting off split ends on human hair, it helps to maintain the texture of the hair. You do notice a difference in hair texture after shaving down a poodle puppy coat. After shaving it off, the hair appears to grow back coarser and curlier, but really with the shaving you just notice the true texture of adult coat coming in. Otherwise, the puppy coat would mix with the adult coat causing mats.
3. Does it take longer to grow on an adult vs. a Puppy? I think the rate of hair growth depends on the individual dog
4. How long does it take to grow back to full lenght? Hair grows about half an inch per month, so I think Louis will be back to what he started with in about a year. His hair was about 6 inches before I shaved him down.

I also wanted to shave him down because a lot of his hair (mouth, feet, tail) were stained yellow. I do like shaving off stained hair to make sure what I'm growing and maintainig is healthy hair.

#26 ·
Thanks for the explanations.
I am seriously considering giving Bumi a cut, but I love his long coat so much. His hair almost touches the ground, it will take a Looooong time to grow it back...:(

#28 ·
Week 6

I gave him a bath couple of days ago. Instead of using the Chris Christensen Spectrum 10 shampoo, I used the White on White shampoo followed by the Spectrum 10 conditioner. All I gotta say is WOW! His hair is so plush and soft. I cannot stop petting him. He feels like satin! Before he looked scruffy, he is starting to look fluffy now!

You can also notice the little sprouts of hair starting to appear in the inner corners of his eyes!

Attachments

#29 ·
He's getting fluffy!!

So is Brody and I can't believe how incredibly soft his hair is now. I'm trying to decide if Louis' hair is growing back faster than Brody's...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.