Weight and size of Havanese - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > BREEDER INFORMATION > Ask A Breeder

Ask A Breeder Have questions about a breeder or what a breeder should do? Questions about what to look for in a breeder? This is a great area to ask.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Weight and size of Havanese
Old 12-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Timmy
Timmy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Weight and size of Havanese

Timmy will be 2 in March 2010 and he weighs 25 pounds. I did receive AKC paperwork from the breeder for his Mom and Dad, though she never registered the litter.

My husband and I question if he is a true Havanese. He looks like a Havanese and from reading threads in this forum, he acts like a Havanese.

Is there a reason he would be over the normal weight limit? He is definitely not over weight. He is very solid and sturdy.
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
There are a lot of bigger havs out there. You might have the biggest here though
Havs vary in size. To give you an example I have a female who is 6lbs, male who is 17, and another male who is 16. The boys need to lose a pound but they are on the bigger size.

Also, there is no weight limit. Standard height is 8 1/2 inches to 11 1/2 inches. I think thats correct. If your dog is big boned he could weigh that much for sure. My Scudder is built like a line backer. He is short only stands 9 1/2 inches and only 15 inches long but weighs 17 lbs! He's very muscular but not fat. I can feel his ribs but he could stand to lose a pound. So he's compact but big boned and weighs more that Fred who is 2 inches taller. Although, Fred is only 14 inches long. There are so many body types, so weight can vary.

Last edited by lfung5; 12-02-2009 at 09:59 AM.
lfung5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
SMARTY

Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Welcome to the Forum……..I have seen larger Havanese. Timmy's weight/size may not the normal but does not mean he is not pure Havanese. I believe the standard has been amended in the last couple of years to make the size more uniform. There are been some that were considered too tiny and some too large. We have a variety on the Forum. Some large, some small, cotton coats, silk coats, wavy coats, curly coats but they are all Havanese, the personality and capacity to love is the consistency that I see.

Last edited by SMARTY; 12-02-2009 at 10:04 AM.
SMARTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
marb42

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
to the forum!
Gina
Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Timmy
Timmy

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your posts. Even though I joined the forum in 2008, shortly after Timmy became part of our family, I have only read peoples threads and have never posted.

The forum has been a blessing to our family. Has given us a lot of knowledge on why Timmy does what he does like constantly unrolls toilet paper, shreds paper towels, and loves underwear. He goes everywhere with us, always wants to be loved.

Timmy loves other dogs that seem to be of lower energy though is not that fond of people. Very shy, stand offish, and growls when people come to the door. If it is someone he does not know, I have to leash him for about 15 minutes or so until he gets comfortable with the presence of a new person in the home. The leash I think is a sense of comfort and security for him.

can you tell me how I can post more pictures of Timmy?

Dawn Harper
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
SMARTY

Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
The only way I know to post pictures is to "go advanced”, below the text box is a “manage attachments”, find the photo and download. If it is does not work the photo needs to be reduced in size.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
luv3havs
Chico and Cali

Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is probably a very dumb question.
Do the smaller Havanese have the same basic temperament as the larger ones?
I know that many very small breeds are sometimes yappy and can be high strung.
Is this true with tiny Havs 6-8 pounds??
I think not, but am just checking..
Old 12-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Pixiesmom

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Pixie is under 6 pounds and she is the sweetest, most loving dog you can imagine. She has no fear issues that cause her to bite and no food agression issues (you could take her flossie she's chewing on away from her and she would just wag her tail). She has never ever snapped or growled at anyone. She's not really high strung either, although she can get very excited when we visit someone, or when DH comes home. She settles down though. As far as yappy-yep, she's yappy. Her bark is like a screwdriver in your ear. I'm trying to work with her on that, especially when we travel in the car. She is a little creampuff though as far as temperment.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Pixiesmom

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I forgot to say welcome to Timmy and Dawn! I love the big havs and Timmy looks like a cutie pie.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
casperkeep

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! Its alot of fun on here. Lots to learn and great advice. Timmy is too cute!!