Eating habits... new here :) - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Eating habits... new here :)
Old 01-19-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
ITuckerI

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Eating habits... new here :)

My name is Melissa and I have a almost 2 year old Havanese named Tucker. We got him from my ex mother in law for my daughter for Christmas.. lol I know it kinda sounds funny.

Anyway Tucker is a great dog but I do have a couple problems...One of them we are trying to work on right now is, he grabs a mouth full of food and brings it to the middle of the livingroom carpet to eat it.. He makes a mess. I am not too sure where to even start. I would love if he would just stay by his bowl and eat. thank you so much
ITuckerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
onemoreokie

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITuckerI View Post
My name is Melissa and I have a almost 2 year old Havanese named Tucker. We got him from my ex mother in law for my daughter for Christmas.. lol I know it kinda sounds funny.

Anyway Tucker is a great dog but I do have a couple problems...One of them we are trying to work on right now is, he grabs a mouth full of food and brings it to the middle of the livingroom carpet to eat it.. He makes a mess. I am not too sure where to even start. I would love if he would just stay by his bowl and eat. thank you so much
I think that is a trait that is really, really common to Havs. Our puppy has done that on and off since day 1. We tried lots of different style plates and bowls but short of feeding her in her ex-pen or hand feeding we haven't been able to change the behavior. I used to care about it b/c of the mess but I've realized the dog has changed me substantially (with the wife's re-inforcement). There is no more OCD cleanliness complex at my house. I have to always tell myself it's a dog and it's going to get a bit messy. This time of year it seems impossible to keep all the dead grass out of the house. HAHA!

Best of luck! It took me some time to adjust to pet ownership but after 6 months I wouldn't give it up for anything!
onemoreokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
littlebuddy

Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
too funny. my dog takes one piece of food at a time out of his bowl and brings it to us, eats and then goes back to his bowl. i jsut started putting his bowl by us in the morning. it's easier!
littlebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
Pipersmom
Julie

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Smile

Welcome Melissa and Tucker!

If I don't stay in the room with her, Piper will do the same thing. So now I stay in the kitchen and do dishes while she's eating-problem solved!

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton
Pipersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
TheVintageVamp

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Murray doesn't do this as bad as my daughter's dog, but he does some. He seems to do it worse with a bowl, so I got a large, square plate with slightly raised sides to feed him from. This has really reduced the amount of food he takes and puts on the floor.

The other thing I do is have his food right next to my computer desk. He get fed in the morning while I am drinking my coffee and reading emails and again of an evening after dinner, another time when I am on the computer. Being right next to me helps.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Beamer

Photo Submissions 16 Times in 6 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the forum!

Thats funny.. the transporting of kibble to another are and eating it one by one is deffinatly a havanese trait! lol

Ryan
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Leslie
Tori's mom

Submit Photo: 19
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 5 Posts
We "solved" that problem by either staying in the kitchen with her while she eats, or we take her bowl to the room we're in. However, although she doesn't leave the room with the food in her mouth, she still takes a mouthful out of the bowl and drops it on the floor next to her bowl to eat it. Unless she does it with her raw (which is always eaten in the kitchen), she usually does a pretty good job of cleaning up her mess

At our house, we spell happiness H-A-V-A-N-E-S-E
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Pixiesmom

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Pixie does it too. She eats Wilderness kibble and constantly picks out the fruit/veg pellets in it and leaves them in the hall. Picking it up is second nature to me now. It makes me laugh...neezers are soo nutty.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
Sissygirl
Sissygirl's Mom (Marie)

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sissy has always done that. She takes it from her bowl to the nearest rug and drops a mouthful and then eats it one by one. Too funny.

Santa, Sissygirl
& Marie
Sissygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
Sheri

Submit Photo: 11
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 10 Posts
My Tucker, too. It helps that I have his bowl on a little black rug in the room where I often sit on the couch. He usually picks up his kibble and removes it from the bowl, but at least most of it stays on the rug. Ha! They are social eaters and don't like to eat alone, that's for sure!