To Shave or Not to Shave.... - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
To Shave or Not to Shave....
Old 04-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
Pamelabous

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
To Shave or Not to Shave....

Hi Guys! This is a bit of a delicate question...but, who else can I ask but all of you?? So, here it goes. With Daisy's "private parts"...the hair gets a bit "soiled" and stinky. The hair is ummm, rather long...should I have it shaved regularly? Around her bum too?

Also, on a less delicate note...What about the hair under her eyes? It gets so many "eye boogies" and I wonder if she can even see sometimes with all that hair!!

Do tell, everyone!! And please, ummmm, be as specific as possible for this newbie!!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
AKathy
Stella's Mommy

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I keep Stella in a puppy cut for those reasons and because I'm not willing to comb her out every day. I hate doing the butt washing and the mats get overwhelming when her coat is long. She goes to the groomer every Thursday, gets bathed, has her privates trimmed and whatever else needs trimming on that particular week.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
DorothyS

We trim the anal area with blunt-nosed scissors and keep the hair a bit shorter underneath the area in question. But we don't shave and don't make it too bare - I hate that naked bum look! But our guys also don't seem to have loose stools either, so it stays a bit tidier. Occasionally we need to do a little bum wash between their regular baths which happen every 1 to 2 weeks.

Regarding the eyes, we use a flea comb to clean out the eye goobers, usually twice a day. Really helps to keep them neat and tidy around the eyes. They were worse when teething, and we needed to wipe the eye area clean (just used a kleenex) as they seemed to get more "teary" then. We also trim the hair between the eyes with the blunt-nosed scissors. Some people are patient enough for the hair to grow long and lay flat, but I couldn't stand it, so out came the scissors!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Feisty
Judy

We trimmed the butt area with scissors and switched to only dry kibble (with human treats on it) and the stools are drier and no sticking at all anymore. I comb the messy eyes out every few days and trim around the eyes about once a month. Much easier. We also bought a pet trimmer and are attempting to keep his back etc down to about an inch. We'll let the groomer trim his head every 2-3 months.
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Scooter's Family
and Murphy & Gracie too!

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
I have some rounded scissors that I use to trim their foot pads and around their private areas. I'm so afraid of hurting one of them that my hands would shake, the rounded scissors help a lot.

If you have someone hold her up and keep her tail out of the way it will be easier to do the trim. Only trim a little on each side and she'll be all set!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
galaxie
Roscoe and Stella's Mom

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Roscoe's bum hair is full length. His coat is getting long and I think it would look so silly with his 5" long hair if I trimmed the bum hair. So we wash his bum after every poop. Fun. Especially when he has as messy one when we're out to dinner - good thing I bring baby wipes everywhere we go!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
As long as the stools are firm...there does not seem to be a problem, when there is a problem....I will fluff up the back side and take some thinners and round into the bum area. I will only cut the ends of the hair with the thinners.

If the stool does get hung up or caught in the hairs before hitting the ground.....it is butt bath and trim time.

If the stool is caught in the tail hairs then, I know it is time to tidy up the tail close to the exit point. Then, I am good....I mean Dexter is good for a long time.

As for the eyes....I have forced myself to let the hair long and allow to grow up between his eyes, so to train the hairs into the bangs. The other side of the hairs will go down and grow into the mustache area. It is that fine line between the two areas...if this gets too long, I will trim.

I am getting itchy fingers to trim that mustache area...maybe I will just wash the face and brush the mustache down....

Dexter picture on the side is how he looks lately.

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
This is the look I hope to acheive on Dexter this year...

See the link http://havaneseforum.com/showthread....t=sierra+bangs

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
susieg

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have the groomers trim Lola's tush and privates. The groomer I usually go to asked if I wanted them scissored or shaved the first time I went there, so I said scissored. She never asked again & just always scissored that area I guess. Her privates would be neat and tidy, but not shaved or with a bullseye on her tush.

Well, today I took her to a new groomer and didn't specify scissored or shaved and poor Lola looks like she got a brazilian! There's a small bullseye in the tush region, but her tail and legs and so fluffy, you can't really tell. I think her new 'do is bothering her a little though b/c she keeps licking it and is scooting. The short hairs must itch her. Her privates would get stinky and a little discolored from the pee, so I think this will keep it nice and clean. Plus she'll look good in a bikini...ha ha

As for the eye hair. I never asked the groomer to trim it, but they did a few times. I guess since I asked to trim her bangs, they thought it was ok. It looks good at first, but then starts to look messy when it grows out. So I got into the cycle of always trimming it. It doesn't seem to keep the eye area any cleaner and I actually think the shorter hairs around the eyes irritate her eyes and make them more goopy. So now, I'm growing it out, and today I specifically told the groomers not to cut her ANYWHERE except privates and paw pads.
susieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
galaxie
Roscoe and Stella's Mom

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
After everything I've read on here about groomers NOT listening to what the owners ask for, I'm scared to ever take Roscoe to a groomer. If I do I'm going to stand there and direct them the entire time! HA!