Orange-y Brown Slime - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Orange-y Brown Slime
Old 06-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Ellie NY

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Orange-y Brown Slime

I need help from the many poop-analyzers out there!

Eli has always been a messy pooper, that is his poop has never really been all that firm and so he often makes a mess that requires butt baths. In the past few weeks his poop has been stranger than ever. He had a big bowel movement this morning that was very loose, very orange-y, and looked almost encased in slime. I've taken him out twice since and he literally has orange-y colored slime coming out of his rear end in thick ropes. It even has a funny smell which I can't quite place even though I've made a science of analyzing his poop. He eats baked chicken with dry kibbel, 2 strips of dry chicken or duck, occasional pieces of freeze dried beef liver, and one or two very small puppy biscuits a day. The vet says he doesn't believe he has food allergies. He did have his glands expressed a few weeks ago. So, does he have weak bowels, food allergies, or do you all think it might be something else? Thanks!
Ellie NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
whimsy
Evelyn

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 17 Posts
have you brought a sample into your vet to be checked for parasites lately?? I would start there. Is he getting into something outside perhaps??
Old 06-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Ellie NY

I made an appointment with the vet after I found that Eli had an accident in my bedroom a couple of hours ago! He would never do that if he could have held it. It was so slimy and smelly. I'll keep taking him outside in hopes of catching "sample". We did take him to a state park last weekend and he was off leash all day running around the grass. We also hiked a few small trails. I didn't see him pick anything up in his mouth but I guess it's possible.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
I am glad you are taking a sample to the vet. slimy, smelly, can be anal juices (where else would some one say that?) but that does not account for the orange.

without going the whole allergy route... it sounds like there is a lot of chicken/poultry in his diet. maybe try beef or lamb and see if that helps the loose poop. It may not be an allergy, but an intolerance. Jasper also has had this problem all his life until we switched to raw and started adding pumpkin. he is now perfect (well his poops are. twice a day like clockwork.) Or, if the kibble has grains (and the biscuit) try a grain free. even without allergies, grains can make a difference.

I am glad you are taking Eli and the orange specimen to the vet. but you should also not have to live with loose poops. you may just need to experiment, but not too much! one thing at a time.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Ellie NY

I did try a raw diet several months ago. He was interested for 2 weeks, but would only eat the raw beef patties. He turned his nose at chicken and turkey. When he lost interest, he stopped eating. I truly hate the runny poop. It makes such a mess and I worry that he's uncomfortable or sick.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
steveoly

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie NY View Post
I made an appointment with the vet after I found that Eli had an accident in my bedroom a couple of hours ago! He would never do that if he could have held it. It was so slimy and smelly. I'll keep taking him outside in hopes of catching "sample". We did take him to a state park last weekend and he was off leash all day running around the grass. We also hiked a few small trails. I didn't see him pick anything up in his mouth but I guess it's possible.
A couple of days ago, Digs was suffering from similar symptoms - gross, liquid poop (looked like a Wendy's Frosty) and inability to hold it in. I worried he got into some grilling goodies from the holiday weekend so I brought him to the vet and they analyzed a stool sample. The vet concluded he had an infection brought on by eating the poop of another animal. He's on meds and a very plain home cooked diet for the week. Within a couple of days, Digs stools have firmed up and he has his "step" back.
steveoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Going from kibble to raw may have been hard on his system and then to switch back after 2 weeks... have you ever thought to home cook for him?
I have had to do this and it isn't as scary or as time consuming/expensive as I originally thought. Also, I would reduce the amount of Chicken in his diet. Tillie has very soft runny stools when she has any chicken or chicken based treats, with home cooking she has ground beef/beefbone, cauliflower, broccoli, squash, spinach and kale plus several supplements, and her poops are awesome! LOL here we go, talking poo again!!
Glad you are getting him and the orange goo to the vet ASAP!!
Let us know how it goes!!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Ellie NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
Going from kibble to raw may have been hard on his system and then to switch back after 2 weeks... have you ever thought to home cook for him?
The raw diet attempt was quite awhile ago so that's not what's caused the latest issue. But, I'm hearing from you all that he's probably got too much chicken in his diet and may need to be switched to a more beef/lamb based diet for firmer poop. Since his poop is hardly ever firm it's true that he probably doesn't tolerate chicken all that well.

After we see the vet and clear any infection or parasite issues, I'm going to need to re-evaluate his diet. I'm not a fan of home-cooking. It's a time thing. But, if it's a once-a-week and freeze it type of deal that might work. I'll have to check out the recipes on this site. Also, when I tried raw he had the runs so will need to figure out how to either give him probiotics or ease into it. Who knew these cute balls of fluff were so much work!

I'll update you all with the results from the vet this afternoon.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Lizzie'sMom

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lizzie never had really good poops until she was older. I was constantly worried because they were a little loose. These cuties are a lot of work!!
Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Keep us posted!
btw way this is our first week on home COOKED (I;m not sure we'll ever go all the way raw... ewwwww...) and it took me about an hour or so on Saturday of cooking and maybe 2-3 minutes to put each meal together and that's it. We are still using the food I made (and froze) last Saturday!
I hope the vet can give you some answers!!