Trick Comands - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Trick Comands
Old 10-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
DiegoCF_Boston

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Trick Comands

So Diego, who turned 9 months on Saturday, knows sit, down, come and pretty much knows stay (we need to continue practicing stay...he knows it, but after 30 seconds, he gets way too curious) but I was wondering on how to practice a couple of other specific ones.

Do your pups know:

Paw
Rollover
Play dead

??

If they do, what way did you specifically teach them how to do them? Did they pick up on it right away? Diego picked up on Sit and Down really quickly, and come took a little longer.

We have a couple of dog trick books but I want to get your input first before I consult the books :-)
DiegoCF_Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Tessa's Mommy

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Shake or paw is really easy. Just say shake and then touch their paw. They will lift up the paw, you shake it gently and then, of course, reward with a treat. My puppy learned it during our one hour puppy class. You can also teach them high five the same way.

Havs also are really good dancers, but that just came naturally to both of my dogs.

We are taking an intermediate dog class and we have learned,
touch
wait
place
leave it ( which is a really, really good one)
heel
and a couple of other things.

Cooper who is 5 years old is good at all of them. He is just there for a refresher and to socialize more. Tessa is 9 months also and not so good, but getting better.

These dogs love to learn, so just persevere. Good luck

Cooper and Tessa's Mommy
Tessa's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
jessegirl
Rollie's Mom

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi! Rollie has done really well with this. He knows sit, lay down, stay, "here boy" is our "come," "give paw," and roll over. It took him WEEKS to learn lay down and I really think he dislikes this - he seems to be very reluctant to lay down. So weird! He started to roll over the very first session. "Give paw" took about a week and a half, but I have to say, this is the cutest thing EVER. His paws are like muppet hands and when he holds it out it just kills me!

I'm trying to figure out what to do next myself. Maybe I'll do dance - but I don't know how to teach that.

I figured out how to teach "roll over" by watching a video on youtube. Basically you get the dog to lay down and then you lure him in a roll over motion with a treat. You start on one side of his face and bring the treat over his head. The dog naturally follows. It's kind of hard to describe, but I'm sure you can find multiple examples on youtube.

Jessica & Rollie
jessegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Try clicker training. Look up Karen Pryor's site. You'll enjoy it. Molly and I are working on her Math skills. LOL The trick to tricks is to take it slow, if your dog shows any signs of disinterest, you've gone too long.

Last edited by davetgabby; 10-18-2011 at 07:45 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Diann

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave, disinterest? What about reckless exuberance? Lucy is much better at sit when I have a treat. She does not like drop (lay down) and I cannot get her to stand. She's too wigglely to get her to stand. Stay is the first command I literally saw a thought pass through her eyes and she checked herself. Pretty good for a 15 week old. We started working on shake aka paw this last Sunday. Again exuberance is her fault right how. She is so quick that it seems very sloppy. I hate to discouage her excitement though. We continuejto work on laying quietly on her side for grooming. Actually, Lucy is pretty much a spaz. I love her little motor sounds though when she's tearing around the house or yard. I love my little Lucy Loo.
Diann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diann View Post
Dave, disinterest? What about reckless exuberance? Lucy is much better at sit when I have a treat. She does not like drop (lay down) and I cannot get her to stand. She's too wigglely to get her to stand. Stay is the first command I literally saw a thought pass through her eyes and she checked herself. Pretty good for a 15 week old. We started working on shake aka paw this last Sunday. Again exuberance is her fault right how. She is so quick that it seems very sloppy. I hate to discouage her excitement though. We continuejto work on laying quietly on her side for grooming. Actually, Lucy is pretty much a spaz. I love her little motor sounds though when she's tearing around the house or yard. I love my little Lucy Loo.
For sure , at that age, it's hard to slow down their enthusiasm sometimes. Their attention span is short for sure. Somewhat like a young child. Keep the training short and sweet. And the key is have fun. Just watching them to me is fun. They're smarter than we think. They'll surprise you when you least expect it. Enjoy her youth . I goes by too fast. Thought I would add something. I just read this on the IAABC forum and I thought it was cool. As most people know here, I'm an advocate of positive reinforcement based training. and here is a quote that poses a question , ....."Simply ask yourself if you could achieve a goal by engaging the animal as opposed to imposing your will on the animal to achieve that goal. Sit with that thought for a moment."

Last edited by davetgabby; 10-18-2011 at 11:35 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
JMGracie

I like this bookthis book . I think I've seen it at Petsmart/Petco as well.

I think it all depends on the trick and probably the dog. You also should try progressing. If he sits very well, try making him stay in a sit for longer. Or combine commands - he has to do a sit/down before getting a treat, etc. Make him sit and stay, etc.

Gracie picked up stay pretty well at first. Basically just make them sit and give them the command/hand signal for "stay", and slowly back away. If they come after you, give a correction "ah!" and go back to where they were sitting and have them sit again. The more you practice, the further away you can get.

That can also help reinforce "come" when you release them, because they're going to want to come running to you as fast as possible anyways. And we also use "stay" to hide a treat and have Gracie sniff it out.

Last edited by JMGracie; 10-19-2011 at 11:58 AM.
JMGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
DiegoCF_Boston

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGracie View Post
I like this book. I think I've seen it at Petsmart/Petco as well.

I think it all depends on the trick and probably the dog. You also should try progressing. If he sits very well, try making him stay in a sit for longer. Or combine commands - he has to do a sit/down before getting a treat, etc. Make him sit and stay, etc.

Gracie picked up stay pretty well at first. Basically just make them sit and give them the command/hand signal for "stay", and slowly back away. If they come after you, give a correction "ah!" and go back to where they were sitting and have them sit again. The more you practice, the further away you can get.

That can also help reinforce "come" when you release them, because they're going to want to come running to you as fast as possible anyways. And we also use "stay" to hide a treat and have Gracie sniff it out.
Haha that's one of the books we have!! I was flipping through it right after we got Diego and I really thought about teaching him how to fetch me a beer from the fridge...but I think he wouldn't be able to carry the beer can in his mouth LOL And I think i'm going to try those combos until I figure out exactly what I want to teach him next...definitely good practice for the brain (his and mine!) :-)

Everyone, thanks for all the advice and hints!! I appreciate it!
DiegoCF_Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Ollie is very food motivated. ok, he's a pig in dog's clothing.
tricks:
down
sit
stay
leave it
drop it
shake (either paw)
touch (touches whatever you want with his nose)
heel
come

Hi (one paw up like he's saying hi)
high 10
jump - 360 with a 1/2 twist
jump - butt wiggle
dance (walks on 2 feet)
ollie oop (puts paws up on what you point to)
ollie off (gets off what you ask him to)
all the way down (chin to floor)
bow (like a play bow)
spin (tail chasee left or right)
bark
growl
the wave
counts to 15-20 by tapping his paw on your fist.
fetch
kiss
on your side
roll over

let me know which one you want to do and I'll tell you how I taught it to him, steps my vary with your dog.

I still want to teach him play dead and to cover his eyes with a paw on command. sneeze would be cool too.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
MoirasNiceLady

I love the trick "spin"! It took Mo no time at all to learn it. Had her sit first, then with the treat in my hand I made a circle above her head in the direction I wanted her to turn and said "spin". She turned around in a circle, following my hand, then she sits again and gets her treat. This is darling. Another poster on this site has two Maltese (sorry I can't remember her name!!) and I got the idea from watching a video she has on her blog of her two dogs doing it in tandem, TOO cute.

FYI, I tried to teach this to my Cairn Terrier and he just looks up at my hand and follows it with his eyes. Maybe because he knows he is so cute I'll just give him the treat anyways.....? Who is training who?
MoirasNiceLady is offline   Reply With Quote