Reading... - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Reading...
Old 04-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Carefulove

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Reading...

To change the mood of the forum a bit, I thought of everyone telling what they read.

Who likes to read here? No, I do not mean the newspaper or gossip magazines. I am talking about avid book readers like me.
What are you reading now? What genres do you prefer?

Let me start with me:

I LOOOOOVE to read, I read every night and every lunch hour at work. I read about 4-5 books a week. My favorite genres are Paranormal, Historical Romance (Scottish and Viking mostly), Contemporary romance and comedies.

Right now I am reading the latest book of G.A. Aiken “The Dragon Who Loved me” Before that, I just finished the latest Viking II series of Sandra Hill “Dark Viking” and before that, Shelly Laurenston’s “Bear Meets Girl” and J.R. Ward’s “Lover Reborn”

Shhhh…Depending if anyone else fesses up, I’ll tell you some of the friskier books I have read too.

I have a “To be Read” pile of about 25 books.

Oh, I love my kindle, but adore my paperbacks.

Peluito's King Bumi (Bumi)

Across the Rainbow Bridge - Starborn Mi Pequeño Tesoro (Toby) - Miss you my sweet boy.
Carefulove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've been in a supernatural/vampire/werewolf/etc. mood with my books for the last couple of years and plowing through quite a few series. I think they call them "urban fantasy". I'm currently (just started) reading the "Elemental Assassin" series by Jennifer Estep. My favourite series so far are Kim Harrison's "Hollow" series and Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" series. I really like series for some reason.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
I like a lot of different things... Fantasy, (though not the vampire/werewolf stuff) Sci-Fi, historical novels, historical biographies, anything horse or dog related and some mystery. Right now, I've been enjoying John Katz' books on his life at Bedlam farm, his farm in up-state NY.

I like either good LONG books, or authors who are fairly prolific. If I read a good shorter book and there's nothing to follow it, I feel a bit... empty.

ETA: I listen to audio books CONSTANTLY while I'm driving, and while I still buy paper books when there is no electronic alternative, I LOVE being able to store my library on my iPad!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Carefulove

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstray View Post
I've been in a supernatural/vampire/werewolf/etc. mood with my books for the last couple of years and plowing through quite a few series. I think they call them "urban fantasy". I'm currently (just started) reading the "Elemental Assassin" series by Jennifer Estep. My favourite series so far are Kim Harrison's "Hollow" series and Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" series. I really like series for some reason.
I have heard of Butcher, but haven't gotten to read any of her books. I will add her to my list.

Have you read any of these:

Larissa Ione's Demonica Series (vamps, demons, werewolves) - Sexy, very good and super funny
JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood (Vamps) One of my first paranormal series.
Alexandra Ivy's Guardian's of Eternity (Vamps, weres, witches, gargoyles). Very sexy, very interesting and funny.
Shelly Laurenston's Pride series. OMG, she is SUUUUPER FUNNY. These books are about weres some even mixed breeds like a half polar bear half Lion. Her books are awesome, she also writes as G.A. Aiken and has a series called Dragon Kin which is just as funny.
Kresley Cole's Immortal After Dark Series is one of the best Paranormal series ever!

I can go on and on...

How is Elemental Assassin so far? what is it about?

Across the Rainbow Bridge - Starborn Mi Pequeño Tesoro (Toby) - Miss you my sweet boy.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Carefulove

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
...ETA: I listen to audio books CONSTANTLY while I'm driving, and while I still buy paper books when there is no electronic alternative, I LOVE being able to store my library on my iPad!
I first got the kindle for some of the series I read that were only coming out on Eformat. I have added more and more books to the kidle as the time goes by and I LOVE being able to sync my phone (droid) with my Kindle and read anywhere without anyone knowing about it!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've read The Black Dagger Brotherhood and the Immortal After Dark series. I'll have to look to see if I have the other ones on my ereader...if not...now I have some ideas for new ones to get!

The Elemental Assassin series is about an Assassin (female) who can use both stone elemental magic and ice elemental magic. There are elementals and vampires (dwarves and giants too) in it so far. It's pretty good...so far it's basically been about solving a setup that involved her handler being brutally murdered.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefulove View Post
I first got the kindle for some of the series I read that were only coming out on Eformat. I have added more and more books to the kidle as the time goes by and I LOVE being able to sync my phone (droid) with my Kindle and read anywhere without anyone knowing about it!
You're younger than I am... There's no way I could read a book on an iPhone (or Droid) screen!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Ruthi
havilove

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love to read. I read more of the documetary, history type stuff. I do read fictional also when I run across one that looks good. I have always loved reading. I love to read books about animals, especially dogs too.
Ruthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Ruthi
havilove

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Im with you Karen, I cant read on iphone. I do have the large kindle, and set on large type it works good for me. Dont think I would like one of the small ones.
Ruthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Carefulove

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstray View Post
I've read The Black Dagger Brotherhood and the Immortal After Dark series. I'll have to look to see if I have the other ones on my ereader...if not...now I have some ideas for new ones to get!
Did you hear that the next book in the BDB will be Qhuinn & Blay's? What did you think of Thor's Book?

Quote:
The Elemental Assassin series is about an Assassin (female) who can use both stone elemental magic and ice elemental magic. There are elementals and vampires (dwarves and giants too) in it so far. It's pretty good...so far it's basically been about solving a setup that involved her handler being brutally murdered.
I am adding it to my e-TBD list for sure!

Have you check Karen Marie Monning's Fever series? I have heard only good things about it, although I haven't read it yet (only her Highlander Series which I love). Also Jeanine Frost's Night Huntress Series, they are both about Female Assasins/Main Characters.