new confirmation class - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Show and Competition Area > Conformation

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
new confirmation class
Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Pamela Rolla

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
new confirmation class

low and behold just as I was about to show in KY with 0 experience - a new confirmation class got posted beginning the end of this month. Yea!!!! Perfect timing!!!! I am looking forward to learning all I can and then maybe show in Sedalia MO in June The Lord truly does work in mysterious ways.
Pamela Rolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
That sounds great! Congratulations!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Flynn Gentry-Taylor
Flynn of Sir Winston fame

Submit Photo: 22
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Let us know what you think about the class and of course the show...pictures please???

Flynn, lady-in-waiting to Sir Winston and Lady Mia
Flynn Gentry-Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Pamela Rolla

Ahhh Thanks for keeping up with me.

The first class was last week - it was a whirl wind getting ready as Josey had played out in the yard that morning and was a bigger mess than I thought................. then of coarse the 2 1/2 hour drive to class; she puked all the way (thank goodness for C/C foam cleaner) Haha haha I sure hope she out grows that :/

It was a small group; only five total and the instructor - so I have high hopes. The instructor said Josey would be a challenge as she shy-ed when the gal went to touch her on the table - - I was pretty surprised as Josey has been shown in the past by her breeder................... but it was the first class, so keeping my chin up.

I do not know how to re-size my photo's to post

TTYL, Pam
Old 05-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Flynn Gentry-Taylor
Flynn of Sir Winston fame

Submit Photo: 22
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Rolla View Post

The first class was last week - it was a whirl wind getting ready as Josey had played out in the yard that morning and was a bigger mess than I thought................. then of coarse the 2 1/2 hour drive to class; she puked all the way (thank goodness for C/C foam cleaner) Haha haha I sure hope she out grows that :/

It was a small group; only five total and the instructor - so I have high hopes. The instructor said Josey would be a challenge as she shy-ed when the gal went to touch her on the table - - I was pretty surprised as Josey has been shown in the past by her breeder................... but it was the first class, so keeping my chin up.

TTYL, Pam
There is a product called Marezine which a friend used on a larger breed, I would check with the vet about it...probably will depend on age, weight, etc. My friend has to give it 2 to 4 hours before travel, she also goes to classes and was about to stop due to motion sickness..
Practice should help your Josey..glad you can go to classes..keep us informed. Not sure if you still have to resize photos..try it without resizing..

Flynn, lady-in-waiting to Sir Winston and Lady Mia
Flynn Gentry-Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:

TTYL, Pam
For those of us who show in obedience, "stand for exam" is something that MANY people have to practice A LOT. The majority of dogs are not naturally thrilled with the idea of a stranger coming up and handling them all over. But with practice, most dogs learn to accept it with good grace, if not enthusiasm. Especially if she was already shown by her breeder, I am sure that Josey has the ability to do that part... She may just be a bit rusty from not doing it recently. I'm surprised the instructor made a comment like that at your very first lesson!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
Pamela Rolla

Oh we are having such fun!!!! class two under our belt - YEA!!! we did a lot of ring work, different patterns, floor stacking, table stacking, etc... Josey actually got "happy" a couple times - Yea!!!!

The instructor was giving her treats so she would approach the end of the pattern still walking I actually had to drag her a couple times (just keep coming on down; is what she told me - so we did; butt dragging and all) I swear Josey sucked the treat out of her hand so she did not have to touch her.......... I have been taking her for short rides a couple times a week, and find cooked chicken is working better for bait.

Josey did real well with her sister as brace - Oh what a pretty pair!!!!!!

I have faith - it feels right I know we can do this. I just hope she can be happy doing this - would hate to "force" her into something she hates - it would really show in the ring but am not going to put a bunch of energy into that thought right now.

We were still a puke ball on arrival - and now she is in heat too.............. my poor little girl!!!! but what a trooper!!! I am so proud of her!!! I will try and get my daughter to take some pictures this Thursday night. The treats stayed down on the way home - so woot woot to that!!

Thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
windfallhavs
Diane

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
We usually will use half a tablet of Bonine (human motion sickness medicine you can get at the drug store) an hour to two hours before the car trip to deal with a hav that gets car sick. You can give that a try and see how it works...sometimes I will also put the crate in the passenger side of the front seat with a puppy so they can still see me and that seems to help with the anxiety a bit too.

I am glad you are enjoying your classes...keep up the good work! :-)
windfallhavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:

TTYL, Pam
. I had the same thing happen. I took Zoey to Home depot with treats and had a bunch of people come say hi and give treats. I did this for about a mo maybe twice a week. I also went to two classes a week for about two mo. She was afraid of larger dogs so the other class had more large dogs. Another good practice is to pretend you are going to a show at each conformation class its a pain but helps because other people can look at how you have groomed. I was also taught to have a table by your TV chair and every commercial practice stacking. We got great at stacking but never could walk nice
Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Pamela Rolla

Ooooo Home Depot is a great idea!!!! I actually have one with in 20 minutes of here - Thank you!!!! I did pick up some bonnie and for the first time no puke!!! In the class we had a "mock" show for 1/2 the time and discussed show classes and entry forms, what to expect, what to do, etc... at show time. It is so interesting and fun!!! I got so into the class forgot to take pictures while we were there - but will try to post a couple taken here at home - we are working on free stacking.