Anyone know of these breeders? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > BREEDER INFORMATION > Ask A Breeder

Ask A Breeder Have questions about a breeder or what a breeder should do? Questions about what to look for in a breeder? This is a great area to ask.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Anyone know of these breeders?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Happy2hav

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Anyone know of these breeders?

Hello all,
I've been reading through posts for about one month now but this is my first time posting. We live in NJ and are looking for our first havanese. Does anyone have recommendations for breeders in the area that will have pups within the next month or so?
I've got a few names
Harlequin Havanese and Ross' grand havanese....
I'm learning a lot as I read but would love some more advice.
just from reading each website I feel I'm getting more educated. I just learned that there is a more American (larger) havanese and a European type (smaller). This is a big decision for us. I am learning to request CERF and OFA but the harlequin website makes some good arguments for good breeders not always having this done.

Thanks.
Happy2hav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy2hav View Post
Hello all,
I've been reading through posts for about one month now but this is my first time posting. We live in NJ and are looking for our first havanese. Does anyone have recommendations for breeders in the area that will have pups within the next month or so?
I've got a few names
Harlequin Havanese and Ross' grand havanese....
I'm learning a lot as I read but would love some more advice.
just from reading each website I feel I'm getting more educated. I just learned that there is a more American (larger) havanese and a European type (smaller). This is a big decision for us. I am learning to request CERF and OFA but the harlequin website makes some good arguments for good breeders not always having this done.

Thanks.
Personally, I wouldn't choose either of these breeders. None of the Ross' Havanese breeding stock have their championships, and I believe it is important that breeders contine to challenge themselves to breed to the standard. They don't say anything about health testing, so that's a question you'd have to ask too.

As far as the Harlequin site is concerned, I would not consider any breeder who doesn't TEST (NOT "vet check"!!!) their breeding stock. This breeder has lots of justification and rationalization for their decision not to health thest their stock, but, IMO, it's all excuses. If you care about producing quality puppies, you health test. Period.

As far as "european" or "american" type is concerned, there are so many European lines in the U.S. and so many American lines in Europe that that's not a realistic distinction. American Havanese are NOT supposed to be 20 lb dogs, and few breeeders who ARE BREEDING TO THE STANDARD are producing dogs of this size. Do some Havanese go over the standard? Yes. But there are also Havanese below the size standard. In both cases, these might be lovely pets, but they shouldn't be used as breeding stock.

There are NO guarantees in terms of size. Kodi is at the very top of the standard, and both his parents are right within the "preferred" size range. (and, his grandsire on one side and his great grand sire on the other side is a European dog, BTW) Likewise, a pair that are in the middle of the size range can have ap puppy that is exceptionally small. It happens. But you should avoid people who ar purposely breeding undersized Havanese. These very small dogs often have liver shunts and other health problems.

Last edited by krandall; 05-08-2012 at 12:25 AM.
krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
tootle
WyHaven Havanese

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the folks on this site. If they don't have pups, they can help you find a good breeder who does.
http://havanese.org/breeder-ref/69
http://havanese.org/hcapupclass.html
tootle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I'd keep looking.....

Delaware Valley Havanese club is the local Havanese club in your area. They have a breeder directory on their site. Be careful!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
atsilvers27

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Personally, I wouldn't choose either of these breeders. None of the Ross' Havanese breeding stock have their championships, and I believe it is important that breeders contine to challenge themselves to breed to the standard. They don't say anything about health testing, so that's a question you'd have to ask too.

As far as the Harlequin site is concerned, I would not consider any breeder who doesn't TEST (NOT "vet check"!!!) their breeding stock. This breeder has lots of justification and rationalization for their decision not to health thest their stock, but, IMO, it's all excuses. If you care about producing quality puppies, you health test. Period.

As far as "european" or "american" type is concerned, there are so many European lines in the U.S. and so many American lines in Europe that that's not a realistic distinction. American Havanese are NOT supposed to be 20 lb dogs, and few breeeders who ARE BREEDING TO THE STANDARD are producing dogs of this size. Do some Havanese go over the standard? Yes. But there are also Havanese below the size standard. In both cases, these might be lovely pets, but they shouldn't be used as breeding stock.

There are NO guarantees in terms of size. Kodi is at the very top of the standard, and both his parents are right within the "preferred" size range. (and, his grandsire on one side and his great grand sire on the other side is a European dog, BTW) Likewise, a pair that are in the middle of the size range can have ap puppy that is exceptionally small. It happens. But you should avoid people who ar purposely breeding undersized Havanese. These very small dogs often have liver shunts and other health problems.
Yes, thank you Karen. If I could put my thoughts together intelligently, it would be what you said. When I am evaluating a breeder's website, the first thing I look at is how the dogs are presented. The dogs pictures should either be show wins, professional photos, or at least the breeder making an effort to present the dog clean, neat and happy. Breeding dogs should come across as prized specimens, not pets used to make puppies.

Another red flag, purposefully breeding small for breed instead of overall package. There are many nice smaller Havanese used for breeding, but not because they are small but because the overall package is great and the dog happens to be on the smaller side. One of the breeders had several 7 lbs dogs for the purpose of breeding smaller Havanese and marketing them. This could lead to health problems for the breeder down the road.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
Another red flag, purposefully breeding small for breed instead of overall package. There are many nice smaller Havanese used for breeding, but not because they are small but because the overall package is great and the dog happens to be on the smaller side. One of the breeders had several 7 lbs dogs for the purpose of breeding smaller Havanese and marketing them. This could lead to health problems for the breeder down the road.
I agree completely. I have a friend with an adorable 8 lb bitch who is currently raising her first litter. She is tiny, but that's NOT why my friend chose to breed her. She also has her Grand Championship, all her health testing AND Agility titles. She really is the "whole package", just petite. And she was bred to a mid-sized male, not another little one.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
CacheHavs

Submit Photo: 25
Photo Submissions 14 Times in 10 Posts
It has been said before, and I will say it again. Please DONOT give out personal information, and please don't recommend certain breeders. We are here to help educate, not sell puppies.

The best thing we can all do is to help educate and help guide, in the end it has to be the person questioning to take the info they receive to make their own decisions. IMO it is OK to tell someone what they may see as red flags, but please don't recommend this breeder or that breeder. Thank you.

Caché Havanese
"What Lies Behind Us And What Lies Before Us
Are Tiny Matters Compared To What Lies Within Us."

Here are some links to help educate yourself in how to fight for your rights to continue to own and love your animals. Please do not be mislead by PETA or HSUS who is PETA in suits.
CacheHavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Hi Heather, I'm sorry, but I don't know who said what wrong in this thread. I thought that all we did was mention possible red flags. (I said I wouldn't buy a dog from someone who...) but that, to me is a personal opinion. I wasn't saying what someone else should or shouldn't do. So I'm a bit puzzled by your response.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
misstray

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Hi Heather, I'm sorry, but I don't know who said what wrong in this thread. I thought that all we did was mention possible red flags. (I said I wouldn't buy a dog from someone who...) but that, to me is a personal opinion. I wasn't saying what someone else should or shouldn't do. So I'm a bit puzzled by your response.
There was an earlier post, that has now been deleted, that gave a breeder's phone number.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
CacheHavs

Submit Photo: 25
Photo Submissions 14 Times in 10 Posts
Karen it was not in reference to you, you did just the right thing. Member "Eddie" had posted their breeder and their phone number, I had only removed that breeders info as this is a public place and no one should be posting their personal info, but can share it privately . I see that "Eddie" has since deleted their post.

Caché Havanese
"What Lies Behind Us And What Lies Before Us
Are Tiny Matters Compared To What Lies Within Us."

Here are some links to help educate yourself in how to fight for your rights to continue to own and love your animals. Please do not be mislead by PETA or HSUS who is PETA in suits.
CacheHavs is offline   Reply With Quote