Collars / Harnesses - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Collars / Harnesses
Old 08-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 33 Times in 33 Posts
Collars / Harnesses

here is an article that is interesting and I think even more pertinent for small dogs and especially puppies. I ,like most owners started out with a typical flat buckle type collar from day one. I taught Molly early not to pull on leash. But one day she was spooked on leash and bolted the total of six feet. Not far but enough to get her a whiplash and some serious coughing and retching. Whatever method you choose to use, just be aware of the issues involved. This is a very good article and worthy of at least a read. http://www.clicktreat.blogspot.ie/ If your dog pulls on leash with a collar, please read.

Last edited by davetgabby; 08-24-2012 at 02:25 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I only use collars for identification. I never hook the leash to their collars. I use the freedom no pull harness for walking. I really like this harness.

http://usadogshop.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23
Old 08-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfung5 View Post
I only use collars for identification. I never hook the leash to their collars. I use the freedom no pull harness for walking. I really like this harness.

http://usadogshop.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23
Linda, what size do you get for your bigger guys. I have been using the Sense-ible harness, which is the best I had found, but the one thing I DIDN'T like is that on a small dog, if they DO pull, because you are so high over them, sometimes the chest strap rides up and you can hear it's hitting their throat. Not like a collar, but more than I'd like. You can't adjust the chest strap any lower, though, or it interferes with their front legs. I was thinking the other day, that what it needed was a strap down between his legs. And this one seems to have that!

So I'd like to give one a try, but I'm not sure what size to order. I think your boys are similar in size to Kodi.

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
lfung5
LINDA

Hey Karen,
Both my boys are x small. They don't make them smaller, so Bella doesn't have one. To give you an idea, fred is 15 lbs and 19.5 inch chest. Scuds is 16 lbs with an 18" chest. I'm sure xs will fit Cody.

I actually bought them from my dog trainer. I saw them cheaper on Amazon, but they don't have every colors. The colors are amazing! I got turquoise and neon green, because I wanted them to stand out against their black fur. The turquoise looks awesome and I was surprised at how great the neon green looks on Fred. If you'd like I can post pictures I saw all the colors in person and there's a burnt rust color which I loved and the teal & purple are beautiful. Just was too dark to show up on my guys. The harness also has velvet strapping that runs under the armpits. I still hear them choke once in awhile, but it's better than the puppia harnesses. I think I need to make them more snug, but I hate having them too tight.

This place shows all the colors:
http://www.wiggleswagswhiskers.com/n...domwebbing.htm

Amazon place:
http://www.petexpertise.com/no-pull-...ushioning.html

Last edited by lfung5; 08-24-2012 at 08:46 PM.
lfung5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Nominates lfung5 Great Photo:
swaye (09-22-2013)
Old 08-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #5
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I like the front clip harness so they can't pull, the ones that clip on the back just promote pulling more! For my big dog I use a gentle leader, it goes around their snout so there is no way they can pull.

My only complaint about the harness on my havanese is that it matts the fur terribly. I have to comb it out on her belly the second I take the harness out or there is a big mat there.
Tuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
lfung5
LINDA

This one has a clip in front and back. Here are some pictures of the turquoise and neon green. You can see the velvet under the arm pits in Fred's picture. The harnesses are holding up well to swimming and muddy hikes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0327.jpg (1.58 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (131.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
shimpli
Teresita

Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Linda, do you use the 2-ended leash or a regular one?

Teresita
Ache and Yunque's mom
shimpli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuss View Post
I like the front clip harness so they can't pull, the ones that clip on the back just promote pulling more! For my big dog I use a gentle leader, it goes around their snout so there is no way they can pull.

My only complaint about the harness on my havanese is that it matts the fur terribly. I have to comb it out on her belly the second I take the harness out or there is a big mat there.
As Linda said, this one has a front clip... Otherwise I wouldn't be interested. I think you will find that her hair matts less under the harness once she's mature. It was a problem when Kodi was a puppy, but not anymore. I wouldn't leave a harness on him long-term, but just for a walk and then off again, it's fine.

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
lfung5
LINDA

I use the regular one. My brother clips his dog in the front. The dog stopped pulled because if he pulls, he just turns around His dog learn very quickly pulling wasn't getting him anywhere!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 33 Times in 33 Posts
Linda, is my username showing on the board as being online. I just took off the hidden feature?
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote