Tips for getting hair up and out of eyes? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Tips for getting hair up and out of eyes?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tips for getting hair up and out of eyes?

Does anyone have any easy tips for getting Quincy's hair up and out of his eyes? Whenever I try to get a band or even a quick clip in it, he wiggles, ducks, runs, nips, and/or generally gets as far away from me as he can LOL. Hubby is no help as he is the worst holder in the world. I tried putting him on the grooming table with the noose, but he moves around so much that it scares me. Ever since the training class with the dog grabbing and yanking his leash/collar, he's given me fits about putting them on and that goes double for getting his head into the noose on the table. If I can't get it up and out of his eyes, I might have to consider taking him to the groomer and having it cut. It's at that puppy stage where it's not quite long enough to fall to the sides, but just flops forward. I've noticed lately that sometimes his hair is sticking in his eyes and irritating them a little.
Help?
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
Does anyone have any easy tips for getting Quincy's hair up and out of his eyes? Whenever I try to get a band or even a quick clip in it, he wiggles, ducks, runs, nips, and/or generally gets as far away from me as he can LOL. Hubby is no help as he is the worst holder in the world. I tried putting him on the grooming table with the noose, but he moves around so much that it scares me. Ever since the training class with the dog grabbing and yanking his leash/collar, he's given me fits about putting them on and that goes double for getting his head into the noose on the table. If I can't get it up and out of his eyes, I might have to consider taking him to the groomer and having it cut. It's at that puppy stage where it's not quite long enough to fall to the sides, but just flops forward. I've noticed lately that sometimes his hair is sticking in his eyes and irritating them a little.
Help?
Unfortunately, unless you want to keep him in bangs, it's just a stage you have to go through. I would definitely be working with him to get used to the grooming slip with LOTS of treats... You are going to need that when he starts to blow coat. Ittakes time for them to get used to having their hair up, and in the mean time, he'll pull out the top knot almost as fast as you can put it in! And don't count on it parting and going to the sides, even when it's long. Some do, but many don't. (look for the "Cousin It" thread on the forum!)

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Unfortunately, unless you want to keep him in bangs, it's just a stage you have to go through. I would definitely be working with him to get used to the grooming slip with LOTS of treats... You are going to need that when he starts to blow coat. Ittakes time for them to get used to having their hair up, and in the mean time, he'll pull out the top knot almost as fast as you can put it in! And don't count on it parting and going to the sides, even when it's long. Some do, but many don't. (look for the "Cousin It" thread on the forum!)
Thanks, Karen. I have been working with him with the treats. Will just keep trying, I guess. I have noticed that his hair is starting to part down the middle of his back, but on his head, if I part it, it's really kinky at the root LOL. If I don't blow dry him, he is really wavy, especially on the top of his head. I really, really hope that this in between stage passes quickly. I guess I'll just keep trying. Was hoping there was some kind of trick I could try LOL
Old 09-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
And you can always trim that hair so you don't have to worry about a pony-tail everyday....one that they will take out anyway ....and broken hairs caused by the pony and the hairs getting shorter up there anyway.

Ok....I am off my soapbox! I love pony-tails, but they are not practical on my little boys. I love to see their eyes all the time.

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaneseSoon View Post
And you can always trim that hair so you don't have to worry about a pony-tail everyday....one that they will take out anyway ....and broken hairs caused by the pony and the hairs getting shorter up there anyway.

Ok....I am off my soapbox! I love pony-tails, but they are not practical on my little boys. I love to see their eyes all the time.
I have been going back and forth about this. On the one hand, I want to keep him au natural for as long as I can before I start cutting. Since he's so young, I'm trying to let his coat grow out so I can see how it's going to look/fall. But on the other hand, I really want to see his eyes and I don't like that they stick in his eyes. I may take him down to the groomer and see if she can maybe do something in between. He needs another pedicure and sanitary clip anyway.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Thanks, Karen. I have been working with him with the treats. Will just keep trying, I guess. I have noticed that his hair is starting to part down the middle of his back, but on his head, if I part it, it's really kinky at the root LOL. If I don't blow dry him, he is really wavy, especially on the top of his head. I really, really hope that this in between stage passes quickly. I guess I'll just keep trying. Was hoping there was some kind of trick I could try LOL
Kodi's hair on his back parts without any problem. But even thought the hair on his head is not curly at all, it still falls straight forward unless it's in braids or a pony. Even when I used o cut his bangs, the hair further back on his head STILL fell forward over his face.

It's true that he removed the bands and broke some hair in the beginning, but now he pretty much leaves it alone. I just put it up in the morning, using the little fabric covered bands for little girls, and take it down just before bed.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
I have been going back and forth about this. On the one hand, I want to keep him au natural for as long as I can before I start cutting. Since he's so young, I'm trying to let his coat grow out so I can see how it's going to look/fall. But on the other hand, I really want to see his eyes and I don't like that they stick in his eyes. I may take him down to the groomer and see if she can maybe do something in between. He needs another pedicure and sanitary clip anyway.
A lot of people find that bangs work, even if they leave the rest of the hair long. If you find that you don't like it, you cam always grow them out later.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
We started out with bangs when Tillie was younger, but once she reached about 9-10 months I found that I had to trim back futher and further and it STILL flopped over her eyes... sooooo, I started growing it all out. it took FOREVER......... for.ever. lol
It's been about 19 months and I am pretty sure her hair will NEVER part and fall to the sides... in fact, I would be SHOCKED if anyone's hav actually does that... we can make it LOOK like that in pics, but honestly, they shake and it's all in thier face again.
I also use little girls cotton pony tail holders for her daily pony. drives me CRAZY when I can't see her eyes. For times when I need it to look nice longer and STAY in I use the little plastic bands and sometime give her 'pig tails' ...
Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Tammy and I and a couple of other people all grew our Havs bangs out together. Misery loves company!

Old 09-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Tammy and I and a couple of other people all grew our Havs bangs out together. Misery loves company!
lol, it surely does! remember the "unicorn pony tail" between thier eyes? LOL I thought it would NEVER grow out!!