New puppy help! - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
New puppy help!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
JuniorD

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
New puppy help!

Hi All,

I just had a few questions from all the experts in this forum!
This past weekend I got a 9 week old Havanese puppy. I brought him home and he is adjusting well. However, I do have some concerns and questions.
When I got Junior I didn't think about him being alone all day (everyone at home works a 9-5).
I've worked from home for the past 2 days because I didn't want to leave him alone but tomorrow I will have to go back to work. I do have him sleeping in his crate at night (with it locked). The first 2 days he cried but last night he slept well and only cried around 4am when he needed to be let out to go potty.

During the day he's been roaming around the main floor of my house but spends most of his time following me around or sleeping in his crate (open and not locked). However, if I do lock it he cries for a really long time.

Now my biggest question is. What should I do if he's going to be home alone during the day tomorrow? I do have an area in my laundry room in which he can roam around, play with his toys and I will put a little bed in there for him. But will that be okay? I will try to have someone come home and take him out during the day but thats not guaranteed.

Thoughts?
JuniorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Fashiongal21

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorD View Post
Hi All,

I just had a few questions from all the experts in this forum!
This past weekend I got a 9 week old Havanese puppy. I brought him home and he is adjusting well. However, I do have some concerns and questions.
When I got Junior I didn't think about him being alone all day (everyone at home works a 9-5).
I've worked from home for the past 2 days because I didn't want to leave him alone but tomorrow I will have to go back to work. I do have him sleeping in his crate at night (with it locked). The first 2 days he cried but last night he slept well and only cried around 4am when he needed to be let out to go potty.

During the day he's been roaming around the main floor of my house but spends most of his time following me around or sleeping in his crate (open and not locked). However, if I do lock it he cries for a really long time.

Now my biggest question is. What should I do if he's going to be home alone during the day tomorrow? I do have an area in my laundry room in which he can roam around, play with his toys and I will put a little bed in there for him. But will that be okay? I will try to have someone come home and take him out during the day but thats not guaranteed.

Thoughts?
Greetings and Welcome!
We have a similar situation, We keep Mossimo in an EXPEN, that we ordered off Amazon in our kitchen, with enough room for his pee pad on 1 side and a little pillow bed on the other, some toys, chewies etc.
We didnt want to keep in locked in a crate all day either. The only time he sleeps in his crate is at bedtime.
Fashiongal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
queryne

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Ditto here.. I getting new guy in less than 2 weeks and we've ordered 2 expens for him. One for the kitchen and one for the living room. All that read here (and in general) suggests its best not to give them free reign early on.

Sent from my iPad using PG Free
queryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
you definitely should have someone come in for an hour. Nine hours alone is only asking for trouble, and it 's not fair to your pup. Boredom barking is a big risk along with separation distress and possibly separation anxiety.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rule of thumb that my vet told me; age of the puppy (in months) +1 is the maximum time they should be left alone. for a 9 week puppy (2 +1=3), he should be alone for more than 3 hours at a time.

I work. I waited until my puppy was 14 weeks before I got her home, and I either 1. come home at noon and let her out and have a good play, 2. have someone else come by my house and let her out or 3. send her to doggie daycare for the day. I use a combo of these 3 to make it work. a 9 week old pup is like a newborn baby and need a lot of attention.

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Alexa
Marley's Mom

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think there is a great way to say this, but don't be surprised if you are not getting a lot of responses here. I think we are all collectively holding our tongues. "When I got Junior I didn't think about him being alone all day" is not a good beginning for a successful dog ownership of a Havanese Puppy or any puppy for all it matters. I don't want this to sound too harsh, but I am worried about the pup because it just doesn't sound like you put a whole lot of thought into this upfront and that tends to lead to a whole lot of problems in the end.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
I think your laundry room is good . My maddie climbed out of the x pin and hurt herself. I hope you figured out for someone to come be with your new baby. I stayed home for two weeks and then the longest they were alone was 4 hrs . I added a second havanese three mo apart and they really keep each other company. There ia a service called sitter.com and they have a pet area maybe you could advertise for someone to puppy sit for awhile.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
I agree with Alexa's comments. It doesn't sound like you put any thought into his being alone for such a long time while you are at work before you got him. I'm actually surprised that your breeder didn't have something to say about your situation as they usually want to know everything about the puppy's new home as well as the situation the puppy will be going into. A Havanese is a companion animal and needs to have human contact in order to thrive. I believe that you mentioned that while you are home, he follows you around. This is what they were bred to do. It's their job and they will become very despondent without doing what they were bred to do. Not to judge you, but it is not fair for the puppy. He is a baby, in fact, and you would never leave a baby to fend for itself. Just my 2 cents as you asked the opinion of the forums members

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
I agree with Alexa's comments. It doesn't sound like you put any thought into his being alone for such a long time while you are at work before you got him. I'm actually surprised that your breeder didn't have something to say about your situation as they usually want to know everything about the puppy's new home as well as the situation the puppy will be going into. A Havanese is a companion animal and needs to have human contact in order to thrive. I believe that you mentioned that while you are home, he follows you around. This is what they were bred to do. It's their job and they will become very despondent without doing what they were bred to do. Not to judge you, but it is not fair for the puppy. He is a baby, in fact, and you would never leave a baby to fend for itself. Just my 2 cents as you asked the opinion of the forums members
ya, sadly, since she didn't put much thought into getting the puppy, odds are in came from a not very ethical breeder...
and yes, we are all trying to hold our tongues at this point so as not to offend anyone.
These dogs are born to be around their people. that is their 'job', what they live to do.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
jgb919

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
It can be done, if you're consistent and have a plan for at least the next couple of weeks, if not months.

We got Stanley at 9 weeks and took the first week off in order for him to get acclimated. But then week two came around and we made him fit our routine, not the other way around. Wake up 6:30 play, feed, walk, play pen. Out the door at 8:30. Back for a play hour from 12-1. Back for the night at 5 for play, feed, walk etc. We did this for 2 straight months.

We always left him in a 4x4 expen, plenty of toys, pee pad and water. I won't say he loved it at first but he certainly got used to it quickly. Now at 5 months he loves his pen, and I think he looks forward to it when we leave because he gets his special treats.

Now we come home at lunch 2-3 times a week, he's home from 9-5 for a day or two each week. Once he's neutered we're going to get him into doggy day care for 2 days a week.

So while you should have considered all this before getting a puppy, it can be done. Keep your chin up!
jgb919 is offline   Reply With Quote