Thought I Was Adopting A Mellow & Dignified Lap Dog - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Puppy Area

Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Thought I Was Adopting A Mellow & Dignified Lap Dog
Old 11-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
tonileefiore

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought I Was Adopting A Mellow & Dignified Lap Dog

Hi everyone! I hesitate to post much but I faithfully read the threads and postings on this website several times daily! A BIG thank you to everyone for all the great help and advice. Cannot tell you how HELPFUL this website is! Now, having said that...

My husband John and I agreed to make a "switch" from our beloved Cardigan Welsh Corgis and PBGV's (well, MY beloveds-lolol) because after MUCH homework, we thought a Havanese would be a great addition and an excelllent fit for us at this time in our lives! Corgis...lotsa 'n lotsa 'n lotsa of energy and PBGVs...well, they are wonderful HOUNDS (operative word is hound), right??? So, enter our beloved Ernie, who is now 8 months old (got him at 8 weeks).

OMG...please tell me it gets better!!!! We LOVE our Ernie but... Now, I've loved and lived with dogs since I was an infant...and I'm old now at 54 years of age! I consider myself a seasoned dog lover/owner. But OMG...I have NOT seen such energy and hyperactivity in my 54 years!!! I know every dog has their own, unique personality but...this is DIFFICULT!!!

While some of Ernie's antics, well alright...while 99% of Ernie's antics are hilarious, I am frazzled and worn out! My two 13 yr old guys...Rudy (cardigan corgi) & Tigger (PBGV)...look at me with the "will you pleeeez get this furry thing out of our faces" look. My 1 year old semi-feral cat, Enzio gives Ernie a run-for-the-money; however, Enzio is wearing out, too. My 10 year old domestic cat, Rex runs and hides! Ernie is even wearing out his BFF "Baron"...a 1 year old, 125 lb Rottweiler who lives next door...he and Ernie are in love...they play together every day!

Does it get better? Are Havanese known for exceptionally high energy levels (remember, I've lived with corgis for the past 26 years...I DO understand high energy). I'm trying to do everything right. I actually feel that perhaps I've been TOO accommodating and too lenient. HELP!!!! Thanking you in advance!!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
lol, he's still a puppy... and they all DO have varying degrees of activity levels.
Hang in there!! At nearly 2 1/2 yrs sometimes I feel like my hav is a bump on a log! lol
your hav will get there someday too!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
tonileefiore

First time I've smiled all day long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
lol, he's still a puppy... and they all DO have varying degrees of activity levels.
Hang in there!! At nearly 2 1/2 yrs sometimes I feel like my hav is a bump on a log! lol
your hav will get there someday too!
Thank you SO MUCH for your great reply!!!! Your sweet and thoughtful response made me chuckle...and it is the first time I've smiled all day long!

Bump-on-a-log...hmmmmmm...I am looking forward to THAT day !

Want to tell you that I LOVE the pic (your avitar) of your baby! Soooo cute! Thanks for taking the time to reply!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
The Laughing Magpie

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Hehe, make me laugh picturing your household. Although Havanese have many things in common, they do have differences, one of those things is energy levels. My male yogi was very hyper, I use to play fetch with him about 7 or 8 times a day for about 10 mins just to tire him out. My two other dogs were getting too tired and needed rest. After he learned to walk nicely (ok, semi nice) on a leash, a 30 min brisk walk was added. The first 1.5 yrs he had two other dogs, my granddaughter, my DH, and me the resident toy thrower and he still would play on his own. My other dogs have never been like that.

I think your pup will calm down with age, Yogi has, but we added obedience classes, they tire him, seems behaving is tiring! He is now four still loves to play and will get into trouble if I don't keep an eye out for him. He loves to catch things Doves are his favorite, he likes to do rlh with them...lets them go when told...it's kind of cute he looks like a kid letting go of a ballon as he watches it fly away...then I have to pick feathers out of his face.

My other Hav is very different and calm. It really will get better these guys are clowns with a childs sense of play and for some it's most of their waking hours. They do slow down.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
awwwww, thank YOU for YOUR kind words!
i do my best to always tell the truth and not sugar coat things, too much...

Thanks for the compliment on my avatar! I used to have more of a "glamour shot" as my avatar, but I took this pic of her one day, we were on a bike ride and I just fell in love with it! She is wonderfully happy riding on the back of my bike, in her stroller or where ever I am. She is always up for an adventure! BUT, if I am home most of the day puttering around, she is most likely passed out somewhere nearby.
I'm sure your baby will settle down in the next year or so.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
mamacjt

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Holy cow.....I'm sure glad that's you and not me!! ('Course, I'm a bit older than you are too.) Thankfully, mine was always a couch potato even from little on and to this day at 18 months, most of the day he just lays around and "bed" seems to be his favorite word. lol
mamacjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
tonileefiore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laughing Magpie View Post
The first 1.5 yrs he had two other dogs, my granddaughter, my DH, and me the resident toy thrower and he still would play on his own.
One word...YIKES!!!!! Sounds just about right-lololol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laughing Magpie View Post
...but we added obedience classes, they tire him, seems behaving is tiring!
We did some training. If our budget allows it, I might do "doggie daycare." Doing so will certainly give ME and Ernie's BFF Baron (the 125lb Rottie) a much needed break! Thanks so much for the great stories and for taking the time to reply!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
tonileefiore

To: Tillie'sMom...Well, I LOVE the non-glamour shot! You two are Blessed to have one another.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
tonileefiore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacjt View Post
Holy cow.....I'm sure glad that's you and not me!! ('Course, I'm a bit older than you are too.) Thankfully, mine was always a couch potato even from little on and to this day at 18 months, most of the day he just lays around and "bed" seems to be his favorite word. lol
Thanks for the reply! I think you understand the challenge-lololol. Would you like to make a swap??? My Ernie for your baby
Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #10
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
My hav is also "full energy". I found that a long walk did wonders (she would come home and collapse). We also do doggie daycare one day a week (it tires her out for 2 or 3 days after). Yesterday it was snowing and miserable here so we didn't get a walk. She ate: 1. an entire box of poop bags (ate the box, scattered the bags all over the house) 2. a wooden spoon (it's gone, only the handle remains) 3. a box of kleenex (also scattered throughout the house) and 4. a scientific paper I was supposed to review (shredded it to bits). If i could do it over again i would re-name her "shredder". Today despite the bad weather she will get a walk!

I just met a PBGV last weekend; what beautiful little dogs! I see you must be attracted to dogs with short lets; havanese, corgi and PBGV. All you need is a dashund to make the group complete!!!

Last edited by Tuss; 11-08-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote