Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Oscar is in surgery right now!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Buzzys Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oscar is in surgery right now!

OK, so I think I need to find a new vet. He is getting neutered, microchipped, and his cherry eye fixed today. They are keeping him overnight (which I hate) and the total vet bill when I pick him up tomorrow? $800!!! I almost just fell over when my husband told me. I am trying to stay calm, but they are charging $400 for the neutering and microchip and $400 for his eye (even though he is already under anesthesia). I know that they are good vets, and everything else I have gone there for has been reasonable, but this is crazy! And to top it all off, I am freaking out because he isn't even coming home tonight
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
marlowe'sgirl

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm really surprised it's that expensive! I think my Hav's neuter costed around $200 and my vet offered laser surgery. Most humane society type places offer neuter for <$100. Having shadowed a vet at our local Animal Control, neuters are a very straightforward, quick surgery and many of their dogs went home within an hour of surgery - granted it's animal control and she was spay/neutering every dog/cat before they were adopted. Sorry he's not coming home tonight! I'm sure he'll be fine and you'll be dealing with the problem most of us did - keeping your pup from RLH's while they're supposed to be recovering.
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
I think the bill when Augie's was done was approaching that amount. Seems like it was around $700+. He had an undescended testicle, so that was extra, plus the microchip and teeth cleaning, and I think they did dental x-rays (and why I agreed to those, I don't know ). The anesthesia they used is a newer one and more expensive. My vet could have done it cheaper, but they keep the dogs overnight, with no supervision, and I wasn't going to do that. She referred us to a clinic that sends them home the same day. Even though expensive, I was extremely happy with the way Augie came through - he was up and running around in the vet's office just a few hours later - couldn't even tell he had had anything done by his behavior.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
HannahBearsMom

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherslittlehelper View Post
I think the bill when Augie's was done was approaching that amount. Seems like it was around $700+. He had an undescended testicle, so that was extra, plus the microchip and teeth cleaning, and I think they did dental x-rays (and why I agreed to those, I don't know ). The anesthesia they used is a newer one and more expensive. My vet could have done it cheaper, but they keep the dogs overnight, with no supervision, and I wasn't going to do that. She referred us to a clinic that sends them home the same day. Even though expensive, I was extremely happy with the way Augie came through - he was up and running around in the vet's office just a few hours later - couldn't even tell he had had anything done by his behavior.
Maccabee also had an undescended testicle. He had one baby tooth pulled while under anesthesia, and I had several recommended tests done (blood work, ekg, etc). He did not stay overnight, but did come home with an antibiotic to treat an intestinal parasite. The total bill was close to $650, if I recall correctly.

Maccabee was microchipped prior to neutering. My former vet was at a local Pet Expo offering microchips for $35, so I had him do Maccabee's.

Starborn Light My Fire (Maccabee)

Last edited by HannahBearsMom; 11-20-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Microchip info
HannahBearsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
RitaandRiley

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
I paid $400.00+ for neutering and microchip with the new type of anesthesia.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
AmyL

Neutering my male Hav was about $400, they could have made it ~$100 cheaper by not giving intravenous fluids, but for a small amimal (8 lbs) it was better to have an IV. I wanted them to use the safest option for him.

My best wishes for a speedy recovery for Oscar. In the end, it's all that matters :-)
AmyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Buzzys Mom

Thanks everyone. For some reason, I thought it would be cheaper (I knew the neutering cost, but I expected the cherry eye part to be cheaper since he is already under). I don't know what anesthesia they are using, but he does have the IV drip. He really is all that matters... I just want him to be OK. I am going to swing by the vet's on the way home from work since they won't let him come home tonight- hopefully they will let me see him. 10 am tomorrow can't come fast enough! I just want him home already!
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
I seem to remember Kodi was about $400 to be neutered too. I could have saved a little by skipping pre-surgical bloodwork, but that didn't seem prudent. He didn't have any complications, anything extra (well they clipped his nails while he was out, but that was free) and he was there for about 4 hours total.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
gelbergirl
Henry's Humon Kordelia

Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Hope he comes back home soon! And all is well!
gelbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
AmyL

You've done your homework, you said they are good vets, so now comes the hardest part, waiting till your boy comes home. I completely understand. I hope you get to check in on him later today. You sound like a great dog mommy :-) try not to worry too much (i know, easier said than done). Can't wait to hear that he's home again. Please let us know......
AmyL is offline   Reply With Quote