weight gain from food or thyroid issue - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
weight gain from food or thyroid issue
Old 11-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
littlebuddy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
weight gain from food or thyroid issue

So Mr. Django has put on another pound. I am not over feeding him and the vet is concerned it might be his thyroid. He's on a diet the next 3 weeks (we go to the vet every 21 days for his shot) so if he doesn't loose weight we need to check his thyroid. If that checks out okay then I need to change his food. HE will be 9 in January. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a Senior Diet? He cannot have beef, lamb or wheat. Not fond of fish.
littlebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
What about the raw diet? Primal is great and comes in many varieties.

What is he eating now? I know when my guys were pups I tried EVO and a number of high protein dry diets. My guys blew up little little balloons!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Becky Chittenden

Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
no recommendations for diet, but if you decide to do a thyroid testing, insist on the Mich. State one, vet can find particulars on line. It gives a much more accurate reading that most.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Anna6

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nina is a pup but I just recently tried her on Taste of the Wild and they have all types of protein sources like bison, fowl, boar. http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/ I am not sure if they have a senior dog food. I have a friend with a beagle that has thyroid dissorder. He is always hungry but his vet wants him to loose weight. I think she was adding some water to his weight loss kibbles to make him feel a little fuller.
Anna6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
littlebuddy

Because of Djangos Addisons I have to be careful that he doesn't get too much protein in his diet (potential kidney issues due to addisons.....hopefully not for a long time). Raw is not an option either due to several routes of pancreatitis, raw diet believe it or not is too rich for his system, vet strongly discouraged raw.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
I would seriously recommend going to Jean Dodds Hemopet site http://www.hemopet.org/ and arranging a set of thyroid tests. I think you have to rule out hypothyroid problems. You've got a lot going on with him and dealing with a professional rather than guessing is the best route. Give her a letter with a concise discription of his problems , and see what she recommends. She knows all about these issues that he is struggling with. This probably will be less costly in the long run too. Talk to Missy for some reassurance on this.

Last edited by davetgabby; 12-01-2012 at 02:49 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
littlebuddy

Do you think I should wait for his blood work from the vet first? The clinic is probably the best in the area, state of the art everything so I am confident in the lab that will be doing the bloodwork.

He's going to the vet in 2 weeks so we will check his weight and see if he's lost any pounds. If he hasn't, then we know there's something going on other than diet and will do bloodwork at that time.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
davetgabby
Dave T

sure, see what comes up. Get a clear understanding what's involved. I simply recommended Jean Dodds, because she is a leading researcher and tester, in hypothyroidism. Her org. is non profit too. I would not trust just any lab with this myself, but I would hers. JMO . If you need a diet change, I will continue to recommend Sabine, or a vet that is a dietitian as well. I always believe vets are critical for our animals health, but most are not experts in diets, nor are they experts in behavior, unless their are board certified veterinary behaviorists.

Last edited by davetgabby; 12-01-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
littlebuddy

Yes, I agree. I have an amazing behaviorist and an amazing vet. My issue with changing Djangos diet is that we are in a good place right now and anytime I change his diet things go south. I will wait to see what his bloodwork tells us and then go from their.

BTW we have an appointment with an allergist who came recommended by my behaviorist and vet. Django has these odd patches, perhaps dermatitis or something of that nature. It's not ringworm.

So, after the bloodwork and the appointment with the allergist, once we see what's going on I think I will touch base with Sabina. So much has changed since I emailed her last. This might be a good time to make dietary changes, he's also turning 9 in January.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
davetgabby
Dave T

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
Yes, I agree. I have an amazing behaviorist and an amazing vet. My issue with changing Djangos diet is that we are in a good place right now and anytime I change his diet things go south. I will wait to see what his bloodwork tells us and then go from their.

BTW we have an appointment with an allergist who came recommended by my behaviorist and vet. Django has these odd patches, perhaps dermatitis or something of that nature. It's not ringworm.

So, after the bloodwork and the appointment with the allergist, once we see what's going on I think I will touch base with Sabina. So much has changed since I emailed her last. This might be a good time to make dietary changes, he's also turning 9 in January.
Great, yeah , all that I"m saying is find out what the tests show and if a diet change is required go with an expert in nutriion ie. a ACVN or someone like Sabine, . Hugs