Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Show Dog Grooming
Old 12-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
PebblesPages

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Show Dog Grooming

I would like my Hav to have the show dog look, but I would like to cut/maintain myself. I can't a single book or YouTube video that shows how to cut/maintain the long haired Hav. Lots of info on the puppy cut, but this is not my cup of tea. Can you guys point me in the right direction for material?
PebblesPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
welcome and how old is your hav??
There is a ton of info here on the forum and we all love to talk grooming supplies!

What products/combs are you using at this point?
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Just ordered a copy of "From Nose to Tail" put out by the Havanese Club of Canada. I haven't received it as yet, but it is a grooming book re the Hav and may have grooming tips for the longer haired Hav. Perhaps someone who has read the book can shed some light on this better than I can. Anybody care to weigh in?

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
The Laughing Magpie

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
There are some show breeders on the forum so maybe they will chime in. Havanese need their coat maintained, but for show do not get clipped ever....you are allowed to make their paws neat and do a slight sanitary. Some show homes do not trim the paws and this may have to do with coat type. I notice with my guys Misty has an uneven pattern of growth with her paws, or it could be the hair breaks when running and playing, so I trim hers, my boy Yogi I never trim his paws his are neat and fluffy with out doing anything.

As far as maintaining their coats...there are different coat types. I will use my guys as an example if I were showing Misty: She has a very silky coat almost straight, she seldom gets a mat but her coat can look flat after a couple of days, so she is a dog that would need to be bathed on the same day as the show. Yogi has big coat a bit wavey, with a cottoney undercoat...this makes the hair stand away from his skin (we call it big Texas hair) his coat type would do best bathed the day before and brushed out on show day, this gives time for the undercoat to settle giving a nice smooth look and good flow.

Eye care is important even if your dog is not white, depending on the structure of the eye sockets some Hav"s get tear staining, you need to keep the area cleaned and dry everyday, some people use angel eyes but that is a personal thing.

You will need to get your pup use to brushing starting on the first day, you will need to brush often when your pup goes through coat blowing, you will need to brush several times a day to say ahead of matting and knotting at that time. When your pup is past the blowing stage and depending on lifestyle maintaining the coat becomes easier.

There are many threads of grooming products but there is always room for another. I personally 'never' use a slicker brush and don't own one, they can make the job easier but you do lose/break coat ...I don't use one because I use to show Shih Tzu's and my partner did not believe in them...so after all these years I don't have a need, also I find for me the Havanese coat easier to keep matt free.

Hope this helps. You can read the standred on the AKC site and you can see pictures of Havanese champions to help you get the look you want. Much can be accomplished with the Havanese by knowing how to blow dry and brush in a professional manner.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
HalleBerry

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Halle is my first (and only) havanese, and she's just now turned a year old - so by no means am I the voice of experience. However, she is shown and she is in full coat (or as much as she has grown so far). I trim the hair between her paws - and thin the hair that hits the ground from her feet; otherwise she's combed & brushed daily, and bathed on a regular basis. Since she goes outside to play, that is typically twice a week now, although it was only one a week when she was younger. When she shows, she is bathed every day. She still has a puppy coat - it isn't as full and long as it will be when she's older.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
Their is a great video that I have in my documents called grooming 101 . I wish I could direct you to where I found it. The woman who was teaching was written up in the Havanese magazine. Any way for me the hardest part about a full coat was coordinating my brush with a blower. You want the hair to dry from the end side out. I think the other challenge is just keeping up with it so you don't have a matted mess. A friend taught me how to trim the pads and around the feet . I have never done sanitary cuts and havn't needed too. I'll see if I can download the video to utube.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
Just ordered a copy of "From Nose to Tail" put out by the Havanese Club of Canada. I haven't received it as yet, but it is a grooming book re the Hav and may have grooming tips for the longer haired Hav. Perhaps someone who has read the book can shed some light on this better than I can. Anybody care to weigh in?
I have this book; it's very complete

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
heatherk
Elissa's and Ceylon's Mom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuss View Post
I have this book; it's very complete
I'll have to check it out. Cey is in full coat, but I know what I know about grooming him only from this forum!
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
HalleBerry

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
From Nose to Tail is the most helpful book I've read about Havanese!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
The Laughing Magpie

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
It is a very nice book...I have a copy and have given some as gifts. The book is geared toward the pet havanese, there is about a page maybe 2 on show grooming but they do say the book is geared to the pet owner who wants to groom their pet at home. They also have some great pictures of different pet havanese with different cuts and coat styles. The book is full of helpful tips, I bought the book when I first got Yogi...my dogs are in full coat...but full coat and show coat are often different.

Tags
dog, grooming, hair, long, show