Oh, the joys of blowing coat! - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Oh, the joys of blowing coat!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
nlb
Nicki:Cassie & Roo's mom
 
nlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ventura county, CA
Posts: 604
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 7 Posts
Oh, the joys of blowing coat!

Well, I think after 14 months, Cass is really blowing coat! I found her first mat behind her ear, and she has been getting some where her harness rubs. If it gets real bad like discribed here, I don't know if I can put her and me through the daily dematting rigors. He coat seems to grow very fast though. It just starting to get colder here and I don't want to shave her down now either.

Anyway I wanted to share a good conditioner I have started using on her and it leaves her coat very light, fluffy, and soft. It's Aussie moist, it smells good and you can get it in the supermarket. I use it too and like it alot! I still use ice on ice too! Pics from after her last bath.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003 (15).jpg (997.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 002 (21).jpg (1.10 MB, 4 views)
__________________

Nicki, Cassie, & Roo
nlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
HavaneseSoon
Linda
 
HavaneseSoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 5,409
Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
Bless you! She is still in a puppy cut! Hopefully the "Blowing Coat" will be easier for you. The "Blowing Coat" gets worse before it gets better so hang in there.
__________________


Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
krandall
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 14,264
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb View Post
Well, I think after 14 months, Cass is really blowing coat! I found her first mat behind her ear, and she has been getting some where her harness rubs. If it gets real bad like discribed here, I don't know if I can put her and me through the daily dematting rigors. He coat seems to grow very fast though. It just starting to get colder here and I don't want to shave her down now either.

Anyway I wanted to share a good conditioner I have started using on her and it leaves her coat very light, fluffy, and soft. It's Aussie moist, it smells good and you can get it in the supermarket. I use it too and like it alot! I still use ice on ice too! Pics from after her last bath.
She looks gorgeous! If I remember correctly, she was a bit late having her coat start to grow in, so I suppose it makes sense that she's on the later side of blowing coat too. Hopefully, with her coat at that length, you won't have to deal with the kind of mats people find on dogs in full coat. If you do, and choose to put her in a short puppy cut, do it BEFORE she gets matted, so she doesn't need to be shaved in the cold weather... and then you can have fun with all the cute sweaters and coats that those of us with long haired dogs can't use! You can always let her hair grow longer again once blowing coat is over.
__________________
Karen & Kodi
(Starborn Kodak Moment BN, PCD, NAJ, CDX-C, RE, RL1X3, RL2X3, RL3X2, ARCHMX)




krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
krandall
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 14,264
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
P.S. remember that clean, well conditioned dogs mat less than dirty dogs. I found it VERY helpful to bathe Kodi more often when he was blowing coat. At it's worst, I was bathing him every 4-5 days, but as long as I did that, the little matting he got, came out very easily, without hurting him or taking a long time.
__________________
Karen & Kodi
(Starborn Kodak Moment BN, PCD, NAJ, CDX-C, RE, RL1X3, RL2X3, RL3X2, ARCHMX)




krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
nlb
Nicki:Cassie & Roo's mom
 
nlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ventura county, CA
Posts: 604
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 7 Posts
That's true, Karen. I haven't gone past a week without washing her, and was just thinking I might be able to go longer. I comb her out most everyday anyway, but the mats are sneaking in there. Remember I was worried her tail wouldn't grow out, and now it's nice and long, and I am getting challenged keeping it mat free. Luckily, here in California, it doesn't get super cold, so I may not need the cute sweaters.
__________________

Nicki, Cassie, & Roo
nlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Ewokpup
Senior Member
 
Ewokpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 411
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb View Post
That's true, Karen. I haven't gone past a week without washing her, and was just thinking I might be able to go longer. I comb her out most everyday anyway, but the mats are sneaking in there. Remember I was worried her tail wouldn't grow out, and now it's nice and long, and I am getting challenged keeping it mat free. Luckily, here in California, it doesn't get super cold, so I may not need the cute sweaters.
Hello fellow Californian!
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
nlb
Nicki:Cassie & Roo's mom
 
nlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ventura county, CA
Posts: 604
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 7 Posts
Hello...are you Northern, or So. Cal? I'm So. Cal, seems like everyone is up North.
__________________

Nicki, Cassie, & Roo
nlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
lkwilson
Laura
 
lkwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sonoma County & Reigate, UK
Posts: 349
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
she's adorable... Coach did the same at that age, knees, ears, neck even the head of his tail (that looked odd when it was shaved) but.. the shorter cut helped in the end.

He's dropping hair again at 2 years, but probably because I don't brush him enough.. bad mom. No mats, just lots in the brush when I do run it through him...
__________________
Coach
lkwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
TilliesMom
Senior Member
 
TilliesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,278
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb View Post
Hello...are you Northern, or So. Cal? I'm So. Cal, seems like everyone is up North.
bwhahahaha, everyone? all 2 of us? there ARE several in the Bay Area ... although, from my perspective that is SO not Northern California ... more central ... lol let the debate begin!!

She is SO pretty! looks just like Tillie but with shorter hair!!
__________________
Tammy and Tillie
TilliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Ewokpup
Senior Member
 
Ewokpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 411
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb View Post
Hello...are you Northern, or So. Cal? I'm So. Cal, seems like everyone is up North.
Bama is a Hollywood havapom!
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.


A vBSkinworks Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.