Share Thread Tools Display Modes
e-reader?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
e-reader?

Hello friends!

I have decided I am finally ready for an e-reader and THAT is what I want for Christmas. even if I have to get it for myself!

So, my question is, do you have an e-reader? what do you have? Kindle? Nook? Kobo? Do you like it? Would you reccomend it? Are you able to access your public library and read books that way on your device??

THANK YOU!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
gelbergirl
Henry's Humon Kordelia

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I have a Nook and an iPad.

I have downloaded library books, though take a look at what your library has to offer, there tends to be a long waiting list for the digital books. They evaporate once they expire/due.
gelbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Izzy-bella

Submit Photo: 25
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an I Pad, the best gift ever. My husband says that it should be attached to my hip...use it constantly. I have macular degeneration (sp) in one eye so my eye sight is not what it use to be and reading on the Kindle is a god send.
You can adjust the light and print size so it is just perfect. I get books free from the library and get emails daily from book-bub. They have a couple of free books everyday.
There are many site you can get free books from. I realize that an Ipad is different but I read on the kindle so I think that is the same.
Ask Santa for it, you will love it.
Estelle
Izzy-bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
TilliesMom

thanks! ya, I WANT the Kindle Paperwhite ... but apparently it is new, so it is, of course, sold out everywhere. sigh. I may have to wait till New Years!
I also looked at the Kindle Fire ... the ipad is WAY out of our price range sadly. Besides, I need to be involved in my life and if I had one of those ipads, I would be addicted to it and miss out on life and my kids growing up! I spend too much time on my lap top, BUT I can only do that at home, in my recliner ... it is my 'rest' time. SO, I know that I just want an e-reader ... I will check into our library to see how it works. SO they typically DO have an option for e-books downloaded to the Kindle? I just don't want to become a "slave" to Amazon... lol
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
heatherk
Elissa's and Ceylon's Mom

Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hi Tammy,

How funny! I am thinking about getting my daughter some sort of e-reader or tablet for her birthday/Christmas (they are 3 days apart).

Have you considered just a tablet? Like an Android? You can get the Kindle app on those and buy books and read them on it, plus it will do a lot of other apps sort of like the iPad does, but you can get an Android tablet for a lot less than an iPad.

-Heather
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
TilliesMom

lol, ya I've thought about that, but I honestly want it for READING books only ... otherwise if I can have internet and fb and forum ... wellllll, I'll never engage in my family again! bwhahahhaha.

Also, I get migraines and the light from the computer screen CAN be a trigger. I LOVE how soft and easy to read the Kindle Paperlight is and I've heard the Kobo is great too, in a side by side comparison. The Nook, not so much. The way it 'refreshes' could easily trigger a migraine for me.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
RitaandRiley

Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have the original Nook and I really like it tho I'm sure things have changed since I got it 2 years ago. The 2 reasons I chose it: 1. I can get books for free from the library. It was a little difficult for me at first to figure out how to do it but once I learned it wasn't too hard.
2. It has a different type of lighting than a computer screen so my eyes don't get tired from it. But that does mean you can't use it in the dark.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
TilliesMom

YES, those are the biggest reasons I am looking at the Kindle Paperwhite... google it!
this one you CAN use in the dark ... amazing lighting! I am a little concerned about how/if it will be compatible with our library.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
Murphysmom2011

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a kindle keyboard which I have had for several years and I really like it a lot. I like the screen, and the fact that it is easy to see outside. I also have an IPad and I have the two linked so I can read the same books on both.

The IPad is also nice for reading magazines, but I really like the kindle the best for books.
Murphysmom2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
kawboy

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the regular kindle without any backlighting. They are perfect for someone who just wants to read for longer periods without getting sore eyes. As soon as I finish the book I'm reading I will be trying one on my Samsung tablet. Not sure how I''ll like it but I want to take the internet with me when I go out of town for work. If you change your mind about a tablet instead of a reader I'd look at the iPad mini. A lot of bang for the buck.
kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote