What can your Hav do, but doesn't know it? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
What can your Hav do, but doesn't know it?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Buzzys Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
What can your Hav do, but doesn't know it?

Now that I have 2, I can see a lot of things that they don't know they can do. For instance, Oscar doesn't think he can jump on the couch (he can), and of course, Buzzy does it effortlessly. The funny thing is, Oscar does FANTASTIC in agility, he just prefers not to jump (and always tries to go under the overs).
Buzzy can (and does) do everything- which is why he is starting agility next Wed. night. It's just really funny knowing Oscar can do these things, but doesn't know he can!
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
emichel

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think Oscar is working smarter, not harder. Or else maybe he isn't sure he can do it, so doesn't try? I know when Benamin is losing a tussle with another dog over a toy, for example, he will turn away and act all cool about it, like he didn't really want it anyway. Though on the other hand, if Oscar is so good at agility he would probably have the confidence to attempt it. It is hard to know. I find it so fascinating to try to figure out what is going on in their cute little heads!
-- Eileen
emichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rosie wo't jump up on the bed either, but she used to. Now she wants me to put her up there. Course if she gets down and goes to her peepad in the night, she jumps back up. I have a hard time picking her up when I am in the bed, so push the foot stool over by the bed for her. Now when she wants me to pick her up, I point to the stool and she jumps right up.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Kodi won't usually jump up on the bed either. It's almost like he needs to be picked up to feel like he's been invited.

He CAN jump up on the bed. We've seen him do it when my DH has gotten him really riled up in play. But if he's calm, he always comes and puts his feet on the side, near one of our heads, and whines to be lifted up.

I was thinking of getting him steps for Christmas, but I'm not sure he'd use them!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Brody won't jump up on the bed without the stool being there. He totally CAN do it and has accidentally done it a few times. He hops up gladly using the provided stool, but without it, he hops around at the side of the bed like a pogo stick.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Luciledodd

Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
The foot stool goes to the chair next to our bed and has rollers, so it is no bother to push it over. And, yes Karen Rosie is being invited--I got that right off. Her daddy wo't let her in his lap a lot of times or I won't either, so she has learned to ask first. Once I say use the stool, she jumps right up. I would try something like that before steps. Before I had moved the chair next to my bed, I put down the pillows from the couch.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciledodd View Post
The foot stool goes to the chair next to our bed and has rollers, so it is no bother to push it over. And, yes Karen Rosie is being invited--I got that right off. Her daddy wo't let her in his lap a lot of times or I won't either, so she has learned to ask first. Once I say use the stool, she jumps right up. I would try something like that before steps. Before I had moved the chair next to my bed, I put down the pillows from the couch.
That's a good idea, Lucile, and a plastic foot stool would be a whole lot cheaper!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
Buzzys Mom

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if maybe it's the invite thing like you said. We put his car seat next to the bench which is up against the bed, and that's how he gets up on the bed (Buzzy goes right to the bench and then the bed). He won't get on the couch unless we pick him up and put him on (Buzzy jumps in no problem). Although, he has jumped on the couch and directly to the bed when he is really excited too.
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
LOL... Jasper is so much more athletic than Cash...but does not have his confidence. Jasper will jump through our arms 2 feet off the ground doing tricks...but until recently would not jump on or off the bed. Cash does what ever he wants to, when ever he wants to. Jasper learned during a thunderstorm that he can in fact jump onto our bed. and has been doing it ever since!

One thing though... have his vision checked. I often wonder if Jasper has trouble with depth perception... we have had him checked but not for a while...he often will sit and gage the jump before he does it.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
eat less
sprorchid is online now   Reply With Quote