Success with Thundershirt? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Success with Thundershirt?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
tokipoke

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Success with Thundershirt?

I know some people think the Thundershirt is a gimmick, but I got one just to try it out. I got it mainly to help Louis with his nervous drooling whenever he is in a car (he drools in other situations too). If he's sitting in my lap while I'm in the passenger seat, he is totally fine. If I'm driving and he's sitting next to me, he drools. If I step away from the car whether he's in there by himself (my other dog is with him though) or with my husband, he will drool a lake.

With the thundershirt, he drools, but not as much! Sometimes not at all. It also helped him with a thunderstorm on Sunday night. When it thunders (or fireworks), he will drool and shake. He still shook, but it seemed to get him to calm down faster. The only annoying thing is his hair is so long and the shirt needs to fit really snug - the velcro catches his hair.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Sheri

Submit Photo: 11
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 10 Posts
It is helpful for Tucker during thunderstorms and fireworks, too. It doesn't stop the fear, but it does reduce it and he comes eagerly to me when he sees me get the Thundershirt out.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
I've been looking into these lately. Tillie has started (since July) trembling horribly in the car, it is heartbreaking and I am at my wits end. I have tried everything, holding her on my lap, in a car seat, in a crate, front of the van, back of the van, short trips with lots of encouragement, always going to to fun places... nothing is helping. I'm at the point now where I just don't take her with me anywhere anymore... and niether one of us is happy about that.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
spiffylike
Kat

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I've read reviews of them elsewhere on the net and they seem to get an overwhelmingly positive response. Plus, I love the name Thundershirt.

As a total sidenote, my brother and his gf tackle hug their pug and yell out "thundershirt!" while they do it. It cracks me up.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Sheri

Submit Photo: 11
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 10 Posts
Tammy, I'd love to know why this fear reaction starts; apparently it can often start after the dog is something like 3+ years old for no known reason. Tucker was fine with everything until he was about 4 years old. Maybe just before he turned 4, I can't remember. Nothing untoward happened to make any one storm different that another, he never had a firecracker lit under him... I can't figure it out and would like to understand it, even if I can't change it.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
yeah Sheri, these sort of phobias can start at any age, and sometimes one never knows what instigates them. For the vast majority of trainers at our IAABC, they like them. They don't always work for every dog ,just like anything else. Quite often it helps to work on counter conditioning excercises as well. The same principle works with children as well .
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
marlowe'sgirl

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's worthy every penny! I always use it on Marlowe on long car trips. It definitely helps!!
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
Use the Thundershirt on Dexter during the Thunder storms. He can tell when a storm is coming and it is not even cloudy outside. Oh! Both Havs know how to tell time too!

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
TilliesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
Tammy, I'd love to know why this fear reaction starts; apparently it can often start after the dog is something like 3+ years old for no known reason. Tucker was fine with everything until he was about 4 years old. Maybe just before he turned 4, I can't remember. Nothing untoward happened to make any one storm different that another, he never had a firecracker lit under him... I can't figure it out and would like to understand it, even if I can't change it.
ditto. sigh. it sure has become a big stress and saddens me so much. She used to be just the happiest traveler and would sleep most of the time. Now she is a trembling, shivering mess no matter what I do. I just don't bring her with me anymore... picking the kids up from school was always the highlight of her day.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
jillnors2

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
YEs, they are wonderful
jillnors2 is offline   Reply With Quote