Need help with bland diet for diarrhea - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Need help with bland diet for diarrhea
Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
littlebuddy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Need help with bland diet for diarrhea

Well, as you all know, we have had issuese with Django lately. I am putting him on a bland diet (due to major diarrhea) but can never figure out how much to give him.

He currently eats 1/2 cup kibble. Do I give him 1/2 cup ground turkey or chicken with rice? it never seems to be enough. Any tips would be appreciated.
littlebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I thought a bland diet is brown rice or white rice (steamed) and low fat cottage cheese.

I hear pumpkin firms up the stools.

I've had stomach issues with different dogs thru out the yrs. my big dog eat 2 cups rice and cottage cheese.

You might want to try human digestive enzymes (can get them at any health food store), broad spectrum and /or probiotics.

He may have giardia.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
littlebuddy

I have never heard of that bland diet. I always give boiled chicken or ground chicken with rice. He has a trace of chlostridium.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
I have never heard of that bland diet. I always give boiled chicken or ground chicken with rice. He has a trace of chlostridium.
My vet had me skip a couple meals then just rice and some broth . Then I just went back to the kibble.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
littlebuddy

Hmmm well Django won't eat just rice so i think i'm going to stick with the turkey/chicken and rice combo for a couple of days and then add canned and then kibble. The issue right now is that he is on antibiotics that could make him stick to his stomach so I need to keep some sort of food in his system plus, we have the addisons issue to deal with.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Lola :)

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
When Lola had diarrhea from worms, my vet recommended cooked white, long grain rice (made on the stovetop, not microwaved) and boiled chicken breast. If Django eats 1/2 cup, I would give him 1/2 cup of the chicken and rice. Make 2/3 of the 1/2 cup rice, and 1/3 of it chicken. Also, you can give him some pepto bismol to harden up his stools. I'm not sure how much you would give him because Lola was really small when she last took it, but you could probably look it up on a vet website. I've also heard that canned pumpkin can help, but I would keep it really simple. Or, you could probably give him 1 tablespoon with his meals. I hope your cutie feels better soon!!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #7

Also, I'm not sure if he's a big water drinker (Lola is but I've had other dogs who weren't) but you can add some chicken broth to his water to encourage him to drink it to stay hydrated. You could also offer ice cubes or make chicken broth ice cubes.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
littlebuddy

Thanks, that's what I am going to do. Can't give him pepto because he's on a daily dose of pepcid (for all the lovely meds he's on). He ate his turkey today and the rice, made enough to last him for the next 6 days. Put individual serving container in the freezer so dog sitter just needs to pull everything out from the night before. His stool was more like soft serve today, a tad better but I think it's best to keep him on the bland diet even for a week until I return.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #9

I would also keep him on the bland diet until his poops are back to normal for a few days. I'm glad he's starting to feel better!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
littlebuddy

I agree 100 percent. Why do these things happen right before we leave for a trip?