Disgusting Habit - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Disgusting Habit
Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
PebblesPages

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Disgusting Habit

My Ci Ci keeps scratching to go outside and returning with poop. She takes it to her bed to chew on it. Not sure if she intends to play with it or eat it because I take it away before it gets to that point. What in the world is going on here and how long will this stage last?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
miller123

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have heard that pouring hot sauce or bitter apple spray on the poop and letting them try to eat it works, because they don't like the taste of hot sauce and how it is to spicy for them, or how the bitter apple spray is to bitter. Worth a try to break that gross habit. Thats what i did with my puppy when he suddenly became fixated on leaves, he would try to eat all the leaves he came across on a walk, so i covered some leaves with bitter apple spray and let him try to eat the leaves, he hasn't picked one up in a year.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
whimsy
Evelyn

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 17 Posts
The best thing to do is pick it up immediately after he goes. You don't want him to get into the habit of eating it..which can happen.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsy View Post
The best thing to do is pick it up immediately after he goes. You don't want him to get into the habit of eating it..which can happen.
I agree. Kodi was ALWAYS on leash to go poop, so that we knew right where it was and could pick it up immediately when he was still learning. I'd heard of too many dogs who were poop eaters, and wanted to do everything possible to keep him from acquiring a taste for it.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
whimsy
Evelyn

Photo Submissions 19 Times in 17 Posts
Whimsy poops on her piddle pad in the laundry room and then comes trotting back full speed to wherever I am in the house to let me know what she has done. It's so funny! LOL I almost feel like she wants me to pick it up and get rid of it right away. She then follows me back to the piddle pad and watches me as I get rid of it. If we are outside and she poops, she comes charging over to me full speed to let me know. It's almost like she doesn't want it around her. very quirky.
Good luck and keep us posted! I'm sure you can turn things around with CI CI
Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Whimsy poops on her piddle pad in the laundry room and then comes trotting back full speed to wherever I am in the house to let me know what she has done. It's so funny! LOL I almost feel like she wants me to pick it up and get rid of it right away. She then follows me back to the piddle pad and watches me as I get rid of it. If we are outside and she poops, she comes charging over to me full speed to let me know. It's almost like she doesn't want it around her. very quirky.
Always knew Whimsy was a lady Here' s the best article Ive read on coprophagia. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00575-0079.pdf

Last edited by davetgabby; 12-28-2012 at 05:11 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
PebblesPages

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I agree. Kodi was ALWAYS on leash to go poop, so that we knew right where it was and could pick it up immediately when he was still learning. I'd heard of too many dogs who were poop eaters, and wanted to do everything possible to keep him from acquiring a taste for it.
I would love to take her out on a leash each time, but she is a pup and she wants to go out every five minutes it seems. I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
dodrop82

Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Boo only seems to have this obsession in the winter. She LOVES a good poopsicle!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Kodi does the same thing! Then he has to run after me and watch me flush it down the toilet!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PebblesPages View Post
I would love to take her out on a leash each time, but she is a pup and she wants to go out every five minutes it seems. I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. Thanks for the info.
Yeah, it's a lot of work, but to me it was worth it not to have to worry about "poop kisses"!